The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678

Keep going, I've almost got a full bingo card.

~ The Goat Whisperer
    Website

1 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by microbovine View Post
    I don't know. It all sounds rude to me.
    Yes, except I never called anyone names.....The name calling is coming from those that choose to be hostile towards children and their parents.

2 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by stolen virtue View Post
    Oh yah right Lots of sympathy for the feral brats and breeders that I will never become...Too funny !
    Fnny or not, that's how I feel. If you can't commit to doing it right, don't do it.

No regrets on my part; I've had the opportunity to hang with a number of children over the yeas, and I've enjoyed it. But I'm not verklempt over not passing on my genetic material.
    "It's like a Russian nesting doll of train wrecks."--CaitlinandTheBay

...just settin' on the Group W bench.

ah well. If "breeder" and "feral brats" are the worst things associated with me and mine....I'm golden. Those who choose to label me and/or mine with those labels, own the problem, not me.

Quote Originally Posted by Ghazzu View Post
    Not hardly.
    I didn't have kids because I thought over the responsibilities it entails, and I decided I had other things to do.
    I love being an aunt, and have friends whose children regarded me in that category.
    And there's a big difference between a child who is having a meltdown with a parent who is trying their best to handle said child, and one who ignores obnoxious and/or dangerous behavior on the part of their child.
    I'm sympathetic to the first, but not to the second.
    BINGO!!

My best friend/former asst BM is in town with her 3 yo DD. We were at a fun show at the barn this weekend, and DD missed her nap. She had a nuclear meltdown at one point -- that lasted about 5 minutes (and was just funny as heck) -- then she was fine the rest of the afternoon. Because she had been so well-behaved all day, no one said word boo about it.

If parents are making an effort to manage their child, empathy, understanding and patience is in order. If they are oblivious, a calm conversation to bring it to their attention is in order. If they ignore your conversation, then a word with management is in order. If that doesn't work, then you need to decide if you're continue to patronize that barn/store/restaurant, etc.
    "Let's face it -- Beezie Madden is NOT looking over her shoulder for me anytime
    soon . . . or ever, even in her worst nightmares."

Member, Higher Standards Leather Care Addicts Anonymous

Quote Originally Posted by talkofthetown View Post
    Trak, are you sure she's feral, and it's not a pain issue? Try getting her teeth done, and checking for ulcers. If all is well, my advice would be to try and bond with the Feral Child. Lock her in the roundpen and chase her with a carrot stick until she submits to playing the 7 Games. If that doesn't work, try calling an Animal Communicator. If that STILL doesn't work, well, toss her out with an old, babysitter broodmare to teach her some manners.

OMG how do you get Diet Pepsi out of a keyboard? I spewed! TotT that was CLASSIC!!!
    HaHA! Made-est Thou Look!

Quote Originally Posted by Chester's Mom View Post

OMG how do you get Diet Pepsi out of a keyboard? I spewed! TotT that was CLASSIC!!!

If Feral Child (and I LOVE the term btw) is still running amok, tie her in the crossties one day while Birthgiver is riding. Preferably with a heavy D snap that tiny fingers can't get open very easily.

That should get the point across.

I obviously don't have an issue with kids, I have and almost 8 year old. I do however have an issue with out of control kids. My DD has ridden since she was 3, needless to say we board at a barn that is "child friendly". I think there is a fundamental difference between enthusiastic children and ones that have never been told no. DD and I just finished reading the secret garden (one of my childhood favourites) and there was a great line about children who either never get their own way or always get it being equally spoiled.

Perhaps the mum isn't really a mum, as trak says, maybe she is more of a "breeder, more interested in herself than in her child. I mean who let's their kids run amok at the barn?? Do you not care enough to leave the child at home? My DD and her BFF both ride in the shorties and are at the barn six days a week. They can be "enthusiastic" to say the least, but they know how to behave around horses and they are never, never left to their own devices in the barn. Also when I ride my DD is either mucking stalls or riding with me