The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast

I have no kids but I enjoy being around them if well behaved. One of my favorite places I boarded and trained at was a lively event barn ran by a gal who not only events but also runs the local Pony Club. There was a mix of ages at that barn all the time. Lots of kids in PC, loud, exuberant, funny but all knew they had to practice proper horsemanship and safety is always number one (I love eventers for their horsemanship and care, most are superb hands). All the horses were used to loud noises (PC girls tend to shriek when they win or jump big and well), various riding implements like bikes, mini-scooters, segways, you name it! Old grandparents who knew nothing about horses were coached and educated and brought around the friendly behaved horses, they knew what walkers were and odd moving people. It was (and still is) a great environment.

Now, kids who don't behave, well. I'm outspoken, let's just say that
    The Knotted Pony

Proud and upstanding member of the Snort and Blow Clique.

3 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by msj View Post
    I just wonder if those that are 'protesting vehemently and loudly' about the terms 'breeder' and 'feral brat' and other such very descriptive language throughout this thread, are, in fact, 'breeder's' themselves and have 'feral brats' of their own.

I certainly hope not but you never know.......
    And I also wonder if all the hostility over "feral brats" and "breeders" isn't about some posters own desires to have children and don't or cannot....Makes you wonder where that kind of hostility comes from....

2 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by PeteyPie View Post
    Isn't that what I said?
    Not as succinctly as I did.

I'm sure you are baffled by the hostility because your reading comprehension isn't very good this afternoon, or you're just taking my post the wrong way. I was not calling you (yourself, personally) a selfish jerk.

Quote Originally Posted by stolen virtue View Post
    And I also wonder if all the hostility over "feral brats" and "breeders" isn't about some posters own desires to have children and don't or cannot....Makes you wonder where that kind of hostility comes from....
    Really???? lol

The hostility comes from being around idiot parents and their out-of-control kids.

11 members found this post helpful.

Kids don't behave like adults because they are kids. It is up to the parents to limit a child's exposure to a situation where the child is incapable of conforming or where the child's behavior will bother others.

As to "what is wrong with expecting children to behave when in public?" I think the analogy would be what is wrong with expecting a foal to behave in the show ring? There is a certain amount of training which can be done but even the best foals will be unpredictable the first time they are in a public arena, and it is up to the handler to avoid placing them in the wrong situation -- or even taking them away from home. In any case the first few times out, the reactions and behavior cannot be guaranteed.
    Hmmmm I thought that was what I was saying.
    "Never do anything that you have to explain twice to the paramedics."
    Courtesy my cousin Tim

Quote Originally Posted by fooler View Post
    Hmmmm I thought that was what I was saying.
    That's why I quoted you, because I agree with you and wanted to emphasize what you said.

Quote Originally Posted by stolen virtue View Post
    Not hardly.
    I didn't have kids because I thought over the responsibilities it entails, and I decided I had other things to do.
    I love being an aunt, and have friends whose children regarded me in that category.
    And there's a big difference between a child who is having a meltdown with a parent who is trying their best to handle said child, and one who ignores obnoxious and/or dangerous behavior on the part of their child.
    I'm sympathetic to the first, but not to the second.
    "It's like a Russian nesting doll of train wrecks."--CaitlinandTheBay

...just settin' on the Group W bench.

That's why I quoted you, because I agree with you and wanted to emphasize what you said.
    Thanks, I am a little tired and the brain is not functioning as desired.
    Courtesy my cousin Tim

Quote Originally Posted by Ghazzu View Post
    Not hardly.
    I didn't have kids because I thought over the responsibilities it entails, and I decided I had other things to do.
    I love being an aunt, and have friends whose children regarded me in that category.
    And there's a big difference between a child who is having a meltdown with a parent who is trying their best to handle said child, and one who ignores obnoxious and/or dangerous behavior on the part of their child.
    What Ghazzu said!!!
    Courtesy my cousin Tim

1 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by grayarabpony View Post
    Really???? lol

The hostility comes from being around idiot parents and their out-of-control kids.
    So very true! LOL
    Sue
    Sometimes you have to burn a few bridges to keep the crazies from following you!

Quote Originally Posted by grayarabpony View Post
    Really???? lol

LOL, indeed. Ah, ye olde ~~they jus jellis~~, I swear it comes into play eventually in just about every internet argument. I most recently saw it on COTH from someone saying that posters were all jellis because they had sucky cheap horses compared to...errr, some silly blogger posters were complaining about. This is no different, and it's always a neat little cop-out for those who can't argue on merits.
    Proud Member Of The Lady Mafia

8 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Ghazzu View Post
    Not hardly.
    Oh yah right Lots of sympathy for the feral brats and breeders that I will never become...Too funny !

I didn't think I wanted kids either. I had my two riding horses and a few cows to start my herd. My own farm and the cutest little house. A great farm-sitter when I deployed. I was set. I thought I was going to be career military. Then, I went to shore duty and was out running one day, minding my own business when....WHAM! I did not see it coming. I met this guy and six months later we started talking marriage and kids.

Watch out, ladies, you, too, might be twitterpated.

(Please forgive me the reference, I had to trade in Coen Bros. movies for Disney).
    Is chasing cattle considered playing with your food?.

War veteran

Now I'm confused. I despise feral brats and their idiot breeders, but I'm not a dryhole and DH sure ain't shooting blanks. Whose side am I on? Do parents like me get a speshul name?
    From AliCat518 "Seriously, why would you NOT put fried chicken in your purse?!"

I don't know. It all sounds rude to me.
    Is chasing cattle considered playing with your food?.

War veteran

Quote Originally Posted by rustbreeches View Post
    Now I'm confused. I despise feral brats and their idiot breeders, but I'm not a dryhole and DH sure ain't shooting blanks. Whose side am I on? Do parents like me get a speshul name?
    Yeah, I think you are cool in everyones book
    The Knotted Pony

Proud and upstanding member of the Snort and Blow Clique.

Quote Originally Posted by Foxtrot's View Post
    I don't know why I live on a different planet. Virtually all the kids I come in contact with (and I've been involved with tons of youth groups and sports)
    are delightful, fun, energetic, and destined to be great citizens.
    Yeah, but you're Canadian and we all know you guys are born pleasant and polite, otherwise I think they make you move to the States!

Quote Originally Posted by rustbreeches View Post
    You're probably a figment of someone's imagination, like unicorns.
    Proud Member Of The Lady Mafia

Proud member of People Who Hate to Kill Wildlife clique

Quote Originally Posted by twotrudoc View Post
    Yeah, I think you are cool in everyones book
    Thanks! And since we are having a heart to heart....you crack me up! I look forward to your life every OT day, and you frequently manage to make my week in OC

1 members found this post helpful.