The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

The terms "Breeder" "feral brat" and the numerous other terms used for parents and children on this thread are just hostile. I certainly do not refer to women without children as "dryholes" or men as "blankshooters" but that is pretty much the kind of names being presented here and posters feel justified in their complete hostility.

I'm done pointing this out, but that level of hostility is just rude aggressive behavior directed at children and parents. Yes, children act up as do horses. Get over yourselves and your perfect lives with perfect children and horses.

6 members found this post helpful.

You all taking Trak seriously? He's such a curmudgeon and dislikes everyone and everything, he's probably going a bit over the top here and exaggerating.
    Poor kids I say.
    Proud member of People Who Hate to Kill Wildlife clique

1 members found this post helpful.

Its not nowhere, but you can see it from here

On the flip side, I'm a 'breeder' and I think this thread is hysterical. I'm pretty sure my children aren't feral. I would go so far as to say beginner safe for the 10yo and green broke but willing,with some local miles for the 4 yo. The 2 month old well, she can't even move on her own yet.

This isn't about having perfect kids. Its about the people who think their kids are perfect and expect everybody else to just love to be around them, or breed and don't parent.
    From AliCat518 "Seriously, why would you NOT put fried chicken in your purse?!"

14 members found this post helpful.

Foxtrot. This is Trakhener's humor, and most people are taking it that way. I argue with him as much as anyone, but, personally, I can tell you, he has a really caring side. He just likes playing curmudgeon. I like that he's engaging people here and responding. He's not really attacking anyone.

3 members found this post helpful.

I addressed the specific situation early on, but I was dismayed over some of the directions the thread was headed. While I don't think most people here are child haters, this is a public forum and anyone can read it.

Just wanted to throw in something to think about.
    Where the short cows roam.

War veteran

Anyone who things noisy or misbehaving kids is not that big a problem just needs to get trapped between two families that let their kids run amok on your next plane flight, and you too will be sitting there thinking these things. There are so many responsible parents, and decent kids that the really neglected, untrained ones with entitled parents that expect the rest of us to tolerate their kids awful behavior are very noticeable. It's a disservice to the kids to let them grow up that way, and it's sad for the kids. But I don't have kids, and I don't understand why people think their out of control kid should be my problem, instead of the parents. I've never understood why people have kids, if they don't want to raise them to be nice people when they grow up.

I work in a library, and you wouldn't believe the number of parents who try to dump kids in the library, as if we are babysitters. Working a part of the recreation division when I was at a post library (similar to your public library), I heard many stories of kids being dumped at the pool, and this fact came to light when a very young child almost drowned, and the parent wasn't even still on post. Where I work now, is mostly adults, but we've had to put in child behavior rules (actual parent behavior rules) because of people who come in, let their kids run and scream around, and trash the place. People like that apparently think it's OK to let their kid run wild, and not do anything to supervise them.

The thing I find ridiculous is that the kids that are raised like this will grow up to be kids no one can control, and the parents can't seem to figure out why this happened. I don't have kids, and if I wanted to take care of kids I would have had some, so people are wrong when they think I'm their babysitter, or I tolerate their kid on my property.
    Last edited by JanM; Aug. 9, 2013 at 08:44 AM.
    You can't fix stupid-Ron White

5 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by stolen virtue View Post
    Yes, children act up as do horses.
    Aha.

Aaaaand...how do we feel about horses that are allowed to act up and be annoying/destructive/dangerous while their owners either ignore them or make "awww, my snookums wookums, have a treat" noises at them? Heck, how do we feel about those owners?
    It's pretty consistent whether it's kid or horse, I'd say
    Proud Member Of The Lady Mafia

21 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by JGHIRETIRE View Post
    You forgot to check for saddle fit..........
    Shoot, I knew I missed something...maybe they should have gone the treeless route?
    Tin Roof Living- Custom Wreaths & Home Décor
    http://www.etsy.com/shop/TinRoofLiving?ref=ss_profile
    PM me to receive a COTH discount!

I don't have children but I do like children. I particularly enjoy teenagers (weird I know), which explains my occupation as a high school teacher.

What I do NOT like is people who have children but then fail to become parents. Parents pay attention to their children and do not let children run amok in public areas. In the yard, at home, sure. Even at a family cookout, where there are lots of adults watching a variety of children, sure. But at the barn? At a public pool? Anywhere the child could hurt himself? UMMM NO.

If you are going to have a kid, then you better be prepared for actually parenting it.

Purchase a shock-collar. Glue sparkles on it. Give the tyke the "pretty necklace" to wear, then have a seat somewhere with the remote control and have fun.

***Disclaimer: I sometimes have a very active imagination. No, I do not believe, under any circumstances, that such behavior is actually acceptable. But, I know a lot of parents who get a kick out of that visual, so hopefully it doesn't offend anyone. If so - I'm sorry! ....Is it sad that I feel I have to post this disclaimer in the first place?***

4 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by ClassyRide View Post
    Purchase a shock-collar. Glue sparkles on it. Give the tyke the "pretty necklace" to wear, then have a seat somewhere with the remote control and have fun.

***Disclaimer: I sometimes have a very active imagination. No, I do not believe, under any circumstances, that such behavior is actually acceptable. But, I know a lot of parents who get a kick out of that visual, so hopefully it doesn't offend anyone. If so - I'm sorry! ....Is it sad that I feel I have to post this disclaimer in the first place?***
    Oh, I used to joke all the time that my most cherished fantasy was the one in which I put shock collars on my two sons. It's a lovely fantasy.

Well, you could always do like an event trainer from my area did when she had 2 little kids. She made a playpen for them down by the ring where she worked the horses. The playpen was make out of no climb horse fencing. Unfortunately as the kids got a little older they learned they could put their little feet in the no climb and climb out!

Trainer then put a stop to that by hooking up a strand or so of electric fencing! Kids stopped trying to climb out really fast!

This was done years ago and I've met one of the trainer's children, the daughter, now a mother with a child of her own and she is perfectly normal.

Mind you I seriously doubt that the trainer's kids were ever allowed to run amok. This 'training tool' was told to me by one of the trainer's riders so I didn't actually see it myself but I have no doubt it's a true story.
    Sue
    Back in my day, we didn't have as many warning labels because people weren't so dang stupid!

1 members found this post helpful.

The terms "Breeder" "feral brat" and the numerous other terms used for parents and children on this thread are just hostile. I certainly do not refer to women without children as "dryholes" or men as "blankshooters" but that is pretty much the kind of names being presented here and posters feel justified in their complete hostility.

I'm done pointing this out, but that level of hostility is just rude aggressive behavior directed at children and parents. Yes, children act up as do horses. Get over yourselves and your perfect lives with perfect children and horses.
    Agree.
    But every Off Topic day has a "I hate children!" thread. And no, it's not "humor".

2 members found this post helpful.

I certainly do not refer to women without children as "dryholes" or men as "blankshooters"

Well, I didn't, either. Until now.

I must make a side note/addition to my earlier comment:
    Last night I had my weekly lesson, DD came with. We went over the rules as per the norm...when we got there I said "Okay hun, go to your zone" She responded back "Mom, can I just play on your phone in the car? It gets dusty beside the riding ring."
    Ummm, yes!!
    I didn't see her again until lesson was done and I waved her over, she popped out of the car, said she wanted to play longer, so I needed to ride more lol

Oh I love my little girl
    if you havent fallen off a horse….then you havent been ridin long enough

Quote Originally Posted by Beentheredonethat View Post
    Scare the crap out of her. Gallop by on your horse. Scare the crap out of the barn owner--start talking about lawsuits. Hand mom a contract requiring $10 million in liability for when the kid scares a horse and kills someone.

I'm pretty tolerant, but I just about had it when the &&*&%^^&%E$%%$ Chihuahua (HATE the breed) waited until I cantered by on my 5 year old and then ran under the fence at her heels barking. Good horse did nothing, but I turned her around, galloped after it screaming obscenities. I think that made the point. You could run down the kid and scream about spooking the horse EVERY single time she's loose. That ought to make her tired of it.

By the way, feral means wild. Is mom/trainer wild, too? Do they live in the woods with the wolves?
    Oh, oh, oh!! Last barn from he**, BO had loads of Chihuahua litters. Let the dam* things run around loose. Only a couple were sweet. One was obnoxious and would get the rest going.

I finally had it one day when I was riding in an outdoor field with a run-in. Nasty little nastiness would start coming in to chase a couple poor kitties. I felt so redeemed when my OTTB, who hated them as well, and I had a good time chasing the little buggers out of the run-in where the kitties were trying to hide. Lather, rinse, repeat.

Guess this doesn't help the OP's situation, but this was one of the best times I had at that barn. Looked to be well cared for, but like the Chihuahuas, turned out to be a whacko, stressful barn.

By the way, my wonderful OTTB loved it as well.
    Being right half the time beats being half-right all the time. Malcolm Forbes

My children weren't perfect but I darn sure taught them manners and expected them to behave when out in public. We expected proper table manners at home so they grew up understanding that one didn't run around at dinner time or throw food or anything like that.

I didn't believe in spanking so did not hit my kids, but, I did believe in being firm, consistent, and having clear boundaries.

If they misbehaved in public I didn't hesitate to correct their behavior, usually with a verbal reprimand, or if necessary, removing them from the environment, even if it inconvenienced me.

While I understand that kids can have off days, I do expect the parents to take the appropriate measures to make sure their kid doesn't negatively impact others around them.

When I ran my own barn, I simply didn't allow young children below the age of 12 to run around loose. Keep them at home or stay off your horse and take care of your kid.

3 members found this post helpful.

A thought - not sure how you might do this logistically, and you may get a comeuppance if you suggest this to the little dear directly...

But to keep my son from misbehaving in restaurants when he was small, we pointed out the bench for naughty children (the waiting area ). And when he acted up, that's where he/we went (depending on the restaurant...). My XDH was horrified that I'd dare do it, but it worked.

Same for grocery stores. If he misbehaved, we left. Even did it a couple of times with the cart full (was testing me... ) Again, worked quickly.

Maybe there's a gross/dark empty stall, or a moldy bail of hay to sit on, for the kids who don't behave at the barn? Yea - you probably will get vilified for suggesting that to the kid, but if nothing else works...

And another idea - does he/she know the parts of a bridle/saddle? Need to "help" clean one or more (old ones). Not that it's your job, but if clueless Mom can't think to suggest it...
    Being right half the time beats being half-right all the time. Malcolm Forbes

Ah, the defensive mommy warriors come out of the woodwork!

I don't hate children. Well, most of them. I have no patience for the endless whining of their supposed keepers and failure to keep the wildlife in check.

Where I board, there is a group of mostly good kids, who live with a strict set of rules, supervision, and guidance. They are polite, fun, and pleasant and I really enjoy chatting with them and helping run their shows.

Go ahead and keep bemoaning the horribleness of the supposed child-haters, but I've reached the point in my life where I am so over the condescension and sense of self-righteous entitlement that emanates from the breeders (it's even more fun to say it when folks protest, I don't really care what you call me) all around. Just cause you squeezed 'em out doesn't make them precious, special, or particularly loveable nor does it defer the parent with any particular status. And I can't help it if people lack the ability for self-deprecating humour. Try living on the other side of the fence (although you can't possible conceive of it) and you would understand that it gets really really really old!!!!

ROFL, /rant.

14 members found this post helpful.

I'm a Mom and I think the word breeder fits for the mom who have feral-acting children.

Used to be any parent would be mortified if their children acted wild more often than not in public. Now a decent percentage think it's the rest of the populations' duty to tolerate their unmannered children because it's Too Hard to teach them manners or Not Fair to have to leave somewhere due to a toddler melt down or But I Wanna be able to go out somewhere grown-up before the child is ready to behave there.

Some may think "but we don't do it often" or "for the few times others have to deal with my child" isn't a big deal. But when even only 20% of the parents also feel that way, it means that the rest of the population is constantly dealing with havoc and noise everywhere they go.

And yep, it was sometimes a massive PITA to have to walk out of a place with a fresh or just rambunctious child in tow despite not being done shopping, eating, middle of the movie or halfway through a haircut. But its beyond rude to not do that. Kids act up...most get that and understand. The parents expecting everyone else to deal with it all the time instead of removing themselves and/or never instilling manners aren't parenting their children and annoying everyone else. I'd no longer stay in a public place (outside of a McDs, Chucky Cheese, etc) with a screaming or psychotic child than I would eat pickled eggs and then fart in an elevator full of people. It's rude. And it stinks.

Not to mention small children often thrive on structure and suck up learning and lessons like little sponges. Sure it'll take a bit before each one sticks well, expected. Plus little ones are AWESOME. They're cute and smart and witty and silly and giggly and just plain fun. Let the planet see just how awesome your little ones are by teaching them all of the things they *need* to know to be a part of polite society so the rest of the planet can appreciate your fantastic little kids as much as you parents do!

FWIW, I never get angry with the little kids that act like spider monkeys on crack in public. Or even the ones that act horrid...smacking others or their parents, kicking things, etc. It's not their fault. But I will level the Stink Eye at their parents if they allow it to continue. Children merit understanding, adults know better. Or they should.

But I also can't get upset at the Warrior Moms as long as they're defending their children and not their perceived rights to raise heathens. A Mom is *supposed* to defend their children, no matter what.
    You jump in the saddle,
    Hold onto the bridle!
    Jump in the line!
    ...Belefonte

8 members found this post helpful.