The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by enjoytheride View Post
    I would accidentally lock her in a stall. Daily.
    Not entirely a bad way to go - one of the other threads asking what to do with toddlers at the barn suggested the same thing - designating one stall as a "playpen" of sorts. If the stall is horseproof (re: nails, sharp edges, etc.), then it's certainly six-year-old-proof.

I am honestly surprised that the BO allows this to continue. I love kids, even the misbehaving ones to a point, and that would. not. fly. with me. Money talks - unless this woman is a spectacular BNT, she's not bringing in enough to replace lost (and drama-free) boarders.
    "Let's face it -- Beezie Madden is NOT looking over her shoulder for me anytime
    soon . . . or ever, even in her worst nightmares."

Member, Higher Standards Leather Care Addicts Anonymous

I have, on more than one occasion, been downright nasty to sprogs running through the barn and screaming while I was attempting to do things such as suturing lacerations, etc.

Sometimes the sprogs threaten to "tell Mom that you yelled at me"; sometimes I'm confronted by "Mom", who demands to know what right I have to chastise her ill-mannered produce.

I simply reply that I'm not about to let myself or my patient be endangered by ill-mannered brats, and that, if they don't want to listen to my verbal abuse, they should be quiet or be elsewhere.

And I can induce fear with voice alone.

Ask my students.
    "It's like a Russian nesting doll of train wrecks."--CaitlinandTheBay

...just settin' on the Group W bench.

18 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Trakehner View Post
    New boarder/trainer at my barn. 6 year old female feral child running loose. Mother busy riding, feral female child on crack running around with mom expecting others to watch her kid while she rides. Poorly behaved and trained kid and self-centred breeder not being responsible for her BCP failure. BO getting tired of the kid and feeling like she's got to keep an eye out for brat's safety.

Any suggestions to get the breeder to watch her kid (besides feeding Bratlina a cup of expresso and 2 pounds of sugar?)
    Personally, I get my brats from Usingers in Milwaukee. I know they make them raw and pre-cooked, but I didn't know they made "feral" ones.

My favorite way to deal with brats is to cook them for 20-25 min. in beer, butter, and onions. Then quickly sear them on a charcoal grill. Serve them on a brat bun with saurkraut, onions, caraway seed, and spicy brown mustard. Beer is the traditional beveridge (and none of that St. Louis Swill, thank you ).

I suspect that most forms of brats can be cooked this way. W.C. Fields would likely agree.

G.
    Mangalarga Marchador: Uma Raça, Uma Paixão

10 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by mvp View Post
    Are you sure "breeder" is anti-women? I thought it was gay term for effing-up-the-world heterosexuals.

Can someone give an official ruling?
    Well us queers started it simply as you described and not meant to be derogatory but as usual, you hets have stolen and bastardized it.

Quote Originally Posted by Ghazzu View Post
    ill-mannered produce.
    OMG. *snort*

5 members found this post helpful.

Don't feel sorry for Trak (whoever it was) - he gets what he deserves and he's much like the brats. Couldn't set an example for them if he tried regarding manners and consideration...

I do like my brats served with onions and beer too - but I love children.
    Proud member of People Who Hate to Kill Wildlife clique

1 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Trakehner View Post
    The BO is trying to be understanding, the trainer is taking advantage of this behaviour...It's very special when these sort of people really abuse other's kindnesses.

Why isn't the BO trying to be understanding of every other boarder?

One person - the trainer - has a child-care problem. Her problem.

As a result, some number of other people - the boarders - have a problem: the trainer's child-care problem. That's the BO's problem.

The BO's real problem - unhappy boarders - is the problem that is going to cost her/him the most.

How do the other boarders feel about the situation?

Quote Originally Posted by Ruth0552 View Post
    Recently, at a horse show, I witnessed a crowd of about 6 people, including a woman on a horse, a toddler, and a man with a tripod camera. The toddler was following the crowd but not one person's attention was on the child. Child climbed through the fence around a tree down into a huge patch of poison ivy, at which point woman on horse says oh no, you can't be there, a horse is going to spook, and there's probably poison ivy. Man with Camera proceeds to turn around the explain to child what the poison ivy looks like and points it out while asking child to get out of hole. In the meantime, my friend's horse had spooked across dressage ring by small mammal in the vegetation below the tree, but friend recovered and finished test.
    1. Your child does not form complete sentences yet why are you telling him what poison ivy is?
    2. My friend could have just gotten hurt. No, a horse should not spook at something like that at a show, but still.
    3. Why are you ASKING the child to get out the hole? Go in, grab him, and drag him out. DUH.

This left me with the feeling: Dogs are required to be on leashes because they are unpredictable and could spook or chase a horse. HOW is this any different?

So. If Feral Child keeps running amok at barn, I would feel free to reprimand child while you are there, and to perhaps give it's mother a bill for your services.
    Was on a tour boat for a short 2-hour cruise around a harbor. Pre-verbal boy, prob. about 22-26 months, climbing all over tour boat, unsupervised. On railings, ropes, machinery. I couldn't figure out who the child belonged to. Was told by a crew member that it was the captain's son. Child was roaming free the entire cruise. I still regret that I didn't call 911 before we ever left the jetty and get an officer out to witness this.

Was at a high-school band contest, sitting in a large stadium suitable to seat several thousand. Watched a 4 year old boy climbing all over the railings at the front of the stadium that were intended to prevent people from falling a dozen feet to the track below. Family of the boy was sitting not far away, chatting and texting, and not one even looked at him for a good 20 minutes. Probably should have at least said something very quiet and short to the apparent mother, but I was hoping that the many parents sitting closer would do it. None did. But I think they knew the family, probably knew it would be a waste of effort.

Children who are almost never supervised develop a remarkable instinct for self-preservation. I think even the pre-verbal toddlers figure out that help isn't coming.

The BO will learn the error of their ways in this situation when the child is injured, and the BO gets sued for the last penny they own.
    You can't fix stupid-Ron White

Has your horse ever had an 'off' day?

Please think on the level of venom directed at children, especially if you don't have any of your own. If you see kids acting up in public places, try not to judge so harshly. You cannot know the whole story. They children (and parents) may have issues such as mental disabilities, developmental disabilities, or personality disorders. The kids may also be perfectly well-behaved under normal circumstances but a major disruption in their lives could be causing them to act up. They might even be in an abusive situation. Little bitty kids get tired, cranky, hungry and cannot express these things yet. Before you get fired up, try to picture them as naughty colts that are hungry or stressed and see if you can just walk away without glaring or judging the family.

I am dismayed at the number of people that hate children. Entire websites devoted to child hating? What is wrong with people?

Is society forgetting their humanity and retreating further into their own little caves with their guns locked and loaded on any intruders? SO much misdirected anger these days. We hate politicians that don't agree with our agenda. We hate people that don't think exactly like us. We hate people that have any sort of label unlike our own. We hate people because of their religion. Or because they don't understand our precious horses. Why so much hate?
    Where the short cows roam.

War veteran

6 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by microbovine View Post

Please think on the level of venom directed at children, especially if you don't have any of your own. If you see kids acting up in public places, try not to judge so harshly. You cannot know the whole story. They children (and parents) may have issues such as mental disabilities, developmental disabilities, or personality disorders. The kids may also be perfectly well-behaved under normal circumstances but a major disruption in their lives could be causing them to act up. They might even be in an abusive situation. Little bitty kids get tired, cranky, hungry and cannot express these things yet. Before you get fired up, try to picture them as naughty colts that are hungry or stressed and see if you can just walk away without glaring or judging the family.

I am dismayed at the number of people that hate children. Entire websites devoted to child hating? What is wrong with people?

Is society forgetting their humanity and retreating further into their own little caves with their guns locked and loaded on any intruders? SO much misdirected anger these days. We hate politicians that don't agree with our agenda. We hate people that don't think exactly like us. We hate people that have any sort of label unlike our own. We hate people because of their religion. Or because they don't understand our precious horses. Why so much hate?
    That is NOT what is being expressed here.

Over-generalization, much?

"Entire websites devoted to child hating?" And where did you find one of those? Link, please?

4 members found this post helpful.

Micro- all children are allowed their occasional meltdowns. However, all PARENTS should also remove said child fromthe situation. BREEDERS allow Their ferals to run loose and wild with no attempt to correct the behavior. It is very easy to spot the difference in under 60 seconds
    You can't fix stupid.... but you can breed it!

13 members found this post helpful.

See post #54.
    Where the short cows roam.

War veteran

I don't hate children.
    But I don't give a rodent's netherparts *why* they might be behaving badly when they're putting *me* or my patient in a hazardous situation.
    It needs to stop immediately.

I'm not talking about some kid screaming in a supermarket, or even one climbing over the back of the booth in a restaurant. I'm talking about one that is creating a potentially dangerous situation in a barn.

They can see a therapist later for the stress I may have caused.
    "It's like a Russian nesting doll of train wrecks."--CaitlinandTheBay

...just settin' on the Group W bench.

20 members found this post helpful.

Southern California - on a freeway someplace

What the OP described is not an off day, but rather regular and consistent bad behavior. Sort of like the difference between a horse that bucks on occasion vs one who tries to buck people off constantly. I am definitely willing to give someone a break if the bad behavior is an anomaly based on prior mostly-good behavior. I'm even willing to entertain the idea that a child who is acting badly the first time I see him/her is having a bad moment. Now, when the man entered the vet's office waiting room with a dog and small child in tow and the child proceeded to scream and pick stuff up and drop it while the dog pulled the guy all over the place to sniff at assorted dogs, cats, and crotches? I blamed the man, not so much the dog or the kid.
    The Evil Chem Prof

7 members found this post helpful.

Oooohhhh-kaaaay.

Yes, I get that you're reacting to that linked site, which has nothing to do with the situation at the OP's barn (which is judge-worthy as all frack, btw, and would be even if said child had some kind of disability), but you should've made that clear in your little rant of sadness here. Because most people will think you've got your panties in a knot about folks having a normal and expected reaction about the OP's situation.
    Proud Member Of The Lady Mafia

2 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by shadytrake View Post
    I've only done this on one occasion and it wasn't at a barn. Someone's wayward child wandered over to my table during dinner and wanted to eat and drink my food. People were looking at me like it (yes I said "it") was my child. I took it by the hand and marched it back over to the parent's table (they were in a big party and making lots of noise). I said in my loudest carrying voice "Excuse me ma'am, you seem to have forgotten your babysitter at home and your child is looking for her. I am happy to quote you my rates for watching your child during dinner, but I am sure I am more expensive than your sitter."

I made sure every patron heard me in that restaurant. Then I politely told the child, "you need to stay with your mother" and I walked back to my table and sat down. My husband was a little embarrassed but we did enjoy the rest of our dinner.

I don't know the reaction of the mother because I refused to let them ruin my dinner. I never looked over at their table after that.
    I would do this in a heart beat. I would absolutely put my hands on the unwatched child in a restaurant or barn and march them to their (un)attending adults. It is not the childs fault, responsibility belongs to the adult and if I had to do this multiple times....so be it.

5 members found this post helpful.

very LARGE dog crate........just as one would corral an unruly pup/dog for their own safety and the safety of others,so should this child be confined somewhere........hell, put a little table and chair in there,a bag of cookies and a juicebox, and call it her "fort"........but lock it from the outside til the message is received and digested

You forgot to check for saddle fit..........

Quote Originally Posted by talkofthetown View Post
    Yes, but define "trainer". Anyone can slap a saddle on a horse, "teach" it something, and call themselves a Trainer. Sarah Stettner, anyone? FWIW, I thought the OP was hilarious. And I'm a woman. And I want kids one day. Just not the feral kind.

Trak, are you sure she's feral, and it's not a pain issue? Try getting her teeth done, and checking for ulcers. If all is well, my advice would be to try and bond with the Feral Child. Lock her in the roundpen and chase her with a carrot stick until she submits to playing the 7 Games. If that doesn't work, try calling an Animal Communicator. If that STILL doesn't work, well, toss her out with an old, babysitter broodmare to teach her some manners.

Quote Originally Posted by threedogpack View Post
    I would do this in a heart beat. I would absolutely put my hands on the unwatched child in a restaurant or barn and march them to their (un)attending adults. It is not the childs fault, responsibility belongs to the adult and if I had to do this multiple times....so be it.
    I have done similar in restaurants, but perhaps not quite as politely. When two women in a nice restaurant/bar decided that catching up on their small talk and drinking margaritas was more important that watching their toddlers, who were running around and around the table, kicking the chairs of myself and my date, repeatedly, I couldn't help but turn around and shout rather loudly "Can you PLEASE CONTROL YOUR CHILDREN????" The women decided at that point it was time to leave and as they passed one said to me "Obviously you don't have children, which is just as well since you don't DESERVE them" (strange comment) and I must say I am not particularly proud of the hand gesture I used in response. That said, dining out is expensive and there is no reason breeders can't teach their children basic manners. Growing up, on the rare occasion that my brother and I were taken out to dinner we were expected to be on our best behavior, complete with please and thank you's and yes mams, no sirs. If we had acted like those kids, we knew that would warrant a trip to the car that would not end pleasantly. And we behaved and grew up to be productive members of society.

9 members found this post helpful.

Yes I love brats with onions too.
    I love kids - I actually have a couple. They are older now but were never ever left on their own at the barn.
    I went alone - or if child was with me - I took care of child and did not ride. I would watch other people and say hi to my horse. Never ever expected anyone to watch for me.
    This is truly unbelievable behavior - thankfully I have not run across it at the barn - occasionally at a restaurant but.
    I agree the BO really needs to grow a pair and say something.

2 members found this post helpful.