The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Coanteen View Post
    Aha.

Aaaaand...how do we feel about horses that are allowed to act up and be annoying/destructive/dangerous while their owners either ignore them or make "awww, my snookums wookums, have a treat" noises at them? Heck, how do we feel about those owners?
    It's pretty consistent whether it's kid or horse, I'd say
    X10000

3 members found this post helpful.

Keep entertaining and amazing me or I will throw a tantrum that would make any feral brat look like an angel

Quote Originally Posted by MaybeMorgan View Post
    Agree.
    But every Off Topic day has a "I hate children!" thread. And no, it's not "humor".
    You are so right. They have to tell everyone again, and again, how children need to behave or get their wrath.....

COTH never disappoints.
    ROFLMAO
    BREEDER I thought I was the only one that used that term for bad parents.

I forgot also to mention.. I get that parents love their kids... it's good.. those kinds of parents are good parents.. not breeders... I'm happy that you're happy you have kids and are actually being parents... but TBH...
    I have someone I am exposed to on a regular consistent basis that has a 1 year old... and for pete's sake STHU already... we KNOW your kid's name, you don't need to say it EVERY. OTHER. SENTENCE.

2 members found this post helpful.

OOH good plan LOL

Quote Originally Posted by talkofthetown View Post
    Shoot, I knew I missed something...maybe they should have gone the treeless route?

What is wrong with expecting children to behave when in public?

24 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Fourbeats View Post
    Or expecting parents to supervise young children, esp. in hazardous environments? These are no brainers.

A local therapy barn has all sorts of visitors. Signs are posted everywhere that all children must be adult supervised at all times. No exceptions. Nearby is plaque stating OR State Equine Law / Code regarding liability and horse dangers.

14 members found this post helpful.

There are people who have been on House Hunters that do the 'mention child's name in every sentence' thing, and are famous for it. Of course, they had a few people who mention the dogs' names a lot also.

Clueless, negligent parents have always been with us, and always will. It amazing some kids even grow up with the hazards they're allowed to be around. I'm glad the people way up the road moved, because they let their kids, and the friends ride the ATVs on the busy road, no protection, no helmets, and no supervision. I was always expecting to have to wait for the cops and ambulance to clear the remains up. And for the responsible parents out there-the ATV kids regularly had visiting kids riding right behind them on the ATVs, so just because you're a good, responsible parent, don't think other kids parents are supervising or protecting your child properly.
    You can't fix stupid-Ron White

2 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Fourbeats View Post
    Or expecting adults to organize their days so wee children are not up past their bedtime and expected to behave in a restaurant. All too often I see kids, as in younger than 6, taken into restaurants for supper at 8-9pm. You can see the kids are exhausted and past.ready.to.eat. and they.just.want.quiet.so.they.can.go.to.sleep.
    but nooooo, the "adults" want to dine and maybe have an adult beverage. Not to mention knowing this process will take 1-1.5 hours. They don't understand why the rest of the restaurant doesn't appreciate the shrieks and crying jags from their overtired, overstimulated and hungry children.

I want to take the kids from the ever loving adults and let the kids have a snack and get some much needed rest. Yeah saw this in the booth right next to us last night
    "Never do anything that you have to explain twice to the paramedics."
    Courtesy my cousin Tim

Quote Originally Posted by fooler View Post
    Or expecting adults to organize their days so wee children are not up past their bedtime and expected to behave in a restaurant. All too often I see kids, as in younger than 6, taken into restaurants for supper at 8-9pm. You can see the kids are exhausted and past.ready.to.eat. and they.just.want.quiet.so.they.can.go.to.sleep.
    but nooooo, the "adults" want to dine and maybe have an adult beverage. Not to mention knowing this process will take 1-1.5 hours. They don't understand why the rest of the restaurant doesn't appreciate the shrieks and crying jags from their overtired, overstimulated and hungry children.

I want to take the kids from the ever loving adults and let the kids have a snack and get some much needed rest. Yeah saw this in the booth right next to us last night
    Kids don't behave like adults because they are kids. It is up to the parents to limit a child's exposure to a situation where the child is incapable of conforming or where the child's behavior will bother others.

As to "what is wrong with expecting children to behave when in public?" I think the analogy would be what is wrong with expecting a foal to behave in the show ring? There is a certain amount of training which can be done but even the best foals will be unpredictable the first time they are in a public arena, and it is up to the handler to avoid placing them in the wrong situation -- or even taking them away from home. In any case the first few times out, the reactions and behavior cannot be guaranteed.

Quote Originally Posted by PeteyPie View Post
    Kids don't behave like adults because they are kids. It is up to the parents to limit a child's exposure to a situation where the child is incapable of conforming or where the child's behavior will bother others.

As to "what is wrong with expecting children to behave when in public?" I think the analogy would be what is wrong with expecting a foal to behave in the show ring? There is a certain amount of training which can be done but even the best foals will be unpredictable the first time they are in a public arena, and it is up to the handler to avoid placing them in the wrong situation -- or even taking them away from home. In any case the first few times out, the reactions and behavior cannot be guaranteed.
    Then you don't be a selfish jerk and you take your rambunctious kids and leave others in peace.

In case some of you STILL don't get it -- people on this thread aren't complaining about kids who are not perfect all of the time. They are complaining about parents who don't even ATTEMPT to shape their kids' behavior, or are consistently ineffectual in their attempts to do so.
    Last edited by grayarabpony; Aug. 10, 2013 at 05:30 PM.

16 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by grayarabpony View Post
    Then you don't be a selfish jerk and you take your rambunctious kids and leave others in peace.
    Yikes. Really? That merited being called a selfish jerk?

You (the general you out there) are being a selfish jerk if your kids are out of control in public and you don't either 1) get them under control or 2) leave.

16 members found this post helpful.

You (the general you out there) are being a selfish jerk if your kids are out of control in public and you don't either 1) get them under control or 2) leave.
    Yep, this^ 100%!

Oh, and if the shoe fits, do something about it!
    Last edited by msj; Aug. 10, 2013 at 05:24 PM. Reason: added last sentence.
    Sue
    Back in my day, we didn't have as many warning labels because people weren't so dang stupid!

5 members found this post helpful.

OK I don't have kids, but I've dated lots of guys with kids, and have taken said kids to many places with us. And I've boarded at barns with good kids and with bad kids.

I don't think kids should be held to the same standard of behavior as adults are when we are at festivals and events. But since at barns there can be dangers, such as getting stepped on by a horse or even kicked by one, I think kids should be under the supervision of an adult at all times at a barn. My first BO was very strict, too much so, as she kept kids for day care after school. The kids had to work at the barn before they could ride their ponies who were boarded there. No horse or child misbehaved without the wrath of Sue.

But after leaving that barn and a few years later boarding for a few horrible months at a barn where the grandchildren of the BO and of her best buddy were allowed to run wild, climbing on trailers and trucks, beating up other kids, torturing bunnies and chickens, I decided it is best to be overly strict than to allow kids to attack and beat up other kids and animals. Cloudy used to hide behind Callie when one 8 yoa, who had, according to BO, been on psychotropic drugs for years as he had been a crack baby and had been diagnosed as a potential serial killer, would run into C&C's paddock and steal their jolly ball. I wonder just what will happen to that kid, now a teenager, who was very good looking but very cruel. He would always trip his also adopted sister who was just learning to walk. And he shot his cousin with an air rifle, fortunately not at the barn.

So I've seen both extremes. A barn where kids were held to very strict standards, and one where kids were really dangerous to themselves and to others. I know I had to discipline one boyfriend's son because he was allowed to run around in movie theatres and when we went out to dinner. His father would laugh and say we should pretend he's not with us. I said nope, kid will behave, and kid did, when I made him sit down.

So I think it's a lot like having horses and dogs out in public. You have to have some control of your horse, your dog, or your child, or someone is going to get hurt.

6 members found this post helpful.

I am a parent and very pro child. However I go to the barn to escape my parental responsibilities. A situation like the one described bothers me a lot. It is an imposition on everyone else at the barn. It is not right to scare the crap out of the child because the parent isn't doing her job.

I would, however, speak to sternly to the kid and tell them to behave. That may or may not have the desired effect. If it doesn't, I'd interrupt the mom's ride and tell her to get off her horse and supervise her child. She (the mother) is exposing her child to danger and everyone else to liability. I would make it very clear that her child doesn't belong at the barn in the future. If she fails to respond appropriately, I'd warn her that I'll be calling Child Protective Services and I'd follow through on it.

I have zero tolerance for putting kids at risk
    See those flying monkeys? They work for me.

4 members found this post helpful.

Isn't that what I said?

It is up to the parents to limit a child's exposure to a situation where the child is incapable of conforming or where the child's behavior will bother others.
    I am truly baffled by the hostility.

1 members found this post helpful.

Trakehner is offline Schoolmaster Premium Member
    Original Poster

Quote Originally Posted by stolen virtue View Post
    The terms "Breeder" "feral brat" and the numerous other terms used for parents and children on this thread are just hostile.
    Gee, hostile? Of course it's hostile. Breeder was defined as someone (male or female) who has a kid and then doesn't raise or civilize it. It's the opposite of parent. These selfish idiots breeding away and not training their child are making everyone's life worse.

Feral Brat...spoiled, nasty, rude, evil, abusive to animals etc. etc. etc. no redeeming social value and are sure to be just a wonderful person like their egg & sperm donors.

So, yep, descriptions of these are hostile...but even moreso, they show a total unwillingness to make excuses for these people and their actions.
    "Sic Gorgiamus Allos Subjectatos Nunc"

5 members found this post helpful.

I just wonder if those that are 'protesting vehemently and loudly' about the terms 'breeder' and 'feral brat' and other such very descriptive language throughout this thread, are, in fact, 'breeder's' themselves and have 'feral brats' of their own.

I certainly hope not but you never know.......
    Sue
    Back in my day, we didn't have as many warning labels because people weren't so dang stupid!

6 members found this post helpful.

I don't know why I live on a different planet. Virtually all the kids I come in contact with (and I've been involved with tons of youth groups and sports)
    are delightful, fun, energetic, and destined to be great citizens.
    Proud member of People Who Hate to Kill Wildlife clique

1 members found this post helpful.