The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Default Feral Brats at the Barn

New boarder/trainer at my barn. 6 year old female feral child running loose. Mother busy riding, feral female child on crack running around with mom expecting others to watch her kid while she rides. Poorly behaved and trained kid and self-centred breeder not being responsible for her BCP failure. BO getting tired of the kid and feeling like she's got to keep an eye out for brat's safety.

Any suggestions to get the breeder to watch her kid (besides feeding Bratlina a cup of expresso and 2 pounds of sugar?)
    "Sic Gorgiamus Allos Subjectatos Nunc"

13 members found this post helpful.

Scare the crap out of her. Gallop by on your horse. Scare the crap out of the barn owner--start talking about lawsuits. Hand mom a contract requiring $10 million in liability for when the kid scares a horse and kills someone.

I'm pretty tolerant, but I just about had it when the &&*&%^^&%E$%%$ Chihuahua (HATE the breed) waited until I cantered by on my 5 year old and then ran under the fence at her heels barking. Good horse did nothing, but I turned her around, galloped after it screaming obscenities. I think that made the point. You could run down the kid and scream about spooking the horse EVERY single time she's loose. That ought to make her tired of it.

By the way, feral means wild. Is mom/trainer wild, too? Do they live in the woods with the wolves?

5 members found this post helpful.

Trakehner, I know we all depend on you to take a low opinion of women, but really "breeder". I get that the child is a bit of an uncontained problem for you but "feral brat".....we all were children and some of us received more instructions on how to behave around others. I am a mother and love my children.

26 members found this post helpful.

Stolen---Give him a break. He's trying to engage. We're working on it. He has some really nice qualities, and I'm not kidding. He's really helped me with some things and hides some anguish with sarcasm. I get it. I'm in a similar situation.

28 members found this post helpful.

When one of my mares was younger and very green, she HATED children. I screamed at several of them for their own safety when they were running rampant in her general direction. And most of their parents were pretty understanding when I explained that I really didn't want to see their offspring's grey matter, body parts, and bodily fluids tossed into the footing like something out of a giant equine-powered salad shooter.
    "In order to really enjoy a dog, one doesn’t merely train him to be semi-human. The point of it is to open oneself to the possibility of becoming part dog."
    -Edward Hoagland

38 members found this post helpful.

NICE visual, Wayside.

10 members found this post helpful.

If the situation is sometimes dangerous, take some video and share it with the Child Welfare. If they at least have a chat with the mother that might encourage her to take steps to avoid further issues on that front. Especially if they make it clear that someone in the barn is ready to rat her out.

Has the mother been working as a trainer while the child was even younger, or is this a new step for her? Wondering how the child survived to age 6 if she has been looking out for herself in barns.

Also, give BO a written list of your concerns. Don't just tell her, write it down. Has more impact, and starts a paper trail of complaint escalation.

Or ... if there is no real serious intent to correct the situation, just complain about it ... don't bother with that stuff, just carry on as you are.

2 members found this post helpful.

Trakehner is offline Schoolmaster Premium Member
    Original Poster

Oh puleeze, not the "we were all childrun" blather. A "breeder" is different than a parent...a breeder just proved her uterus worked vs. raising a child to be a functional element of society. I do have a very low opinion of both breeders and sperm donors vs. mothers and fathers. The kid is a feral brat, no manners, ill-behaved and it's owner expects others to watch the darling while she rides. I have a low opinion of some women who deserve it....no pedestal due to XX Chromasome.

55 members found this post helpful.

Its not nowhere, but you can see it from here

Carry a large bottle labeled Feral Child Dipping Sauce? I don't know. Your normal warm, fuzzy demeanor must make the mom think you are dying to babysit! Maybe you should tell her how you really feel. I also abhor loose dogs and children and can't figure out why people gleefully mix them in with 1,000 pound animals
    From AliCat518 "Seriously, why would you NOT put fried chicken in your purse?!"

10 members found this post helpful.

Trakehner is offline Schoolmaster Premium Member
    Original Poster

Quote Originally Posted by OverandOnward View Post
    Has the mother been working as a trainer while the child was even younger, or is this a new step for her? Wondering how the child survived to age 6 if she has been looking out for herself in barns.
    Yep, she's a trainer and been doing it for years...depended on others to watch her kid. Had a keeper for a while but daughter whined she didn't like her so off she went...besides, fellow boarders are so much cheaper.

None of this is anti-female (odd to see critiques of horrid kids and lazy maternal units as anti-female)...but I don't want to see a kid squished by a horse, me hurt trying not to flatten the kid or the barn owner sued by Bratlina's creator when the critter is dented.

8 members found this post helpful.

don't forget the free puppy to go with the espresso and sugar.

Are you saying that the mom is both a boarder and a trainer? Or are you the boarder/trainer?

This is a situation where the BO should step in. It is his/her job to deal with rules and the enforcement thereof. If you haven't already, tell the BO you are concerned that a child running loose presents a serious safety hazard and liability issue. If the BO doesn't respond with a plan of action, ask her to talk with the parent. The barn rules should include something regarding supervision of minors. Although rules don't ensure compliance, these things should be in writing.

I'd see how that goes. Depending on how bad the problem is you could tell the BO that if it doesn't improve, you'll have to seriously consider leaving or some other such thing. If you are the trainer though I guess that might be another issue. Let the BO know you are serious if an initial talk with the parent doesn't work.

Seriously, this sort of thing is a huge liability. What if the kid ran around screaming in the aisles and a horse in the crossties spooked and then child ended up getting hurt? No one wants to deal with the aftermath of that kind of thing.

1 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Beentheredonethat View Post
    Stolen---Give him a break. He's trying to engage. We're working on it. He has some really nice qualities, and I'm not kidding. He's really helped me with some things and hides some anguish with sarcasm. I get it. I'm in a similar situation.
    I also get it, I have had to ride my 6 year old in a ring with a trainer's children running around loose with jumping horses and my young guy (I actually left the ring). However, the trainer is a guy with young children ! My now 16 year old "feral child" asked why any child would be allowed to be unattended at the barn....The terms still bother me.

Quote Originally Posted by stolen virtue View Post
    Trakehner, I know we all depend on you to take a low opinion of women, but really "breeder".
    Are you sure "breeder" is anti-women? I thought it was gay term for effing-up-the-world heterosexuals.

Can someone give an official ruling?
    The armchair saddler
    Politically Pro-Cat

11 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by mvp View Post
    Are you sure "breeder" is anti-women? I thought it was gay term for effing-up-the-world heterosexuals.

I've heard it applied to couples with kids by couples who never want kids.

I like his usage. There are parents and there are breeders.

30 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Wayside View Post
    like something out of a giant equine-powered salad shooter.
    As seen on TV!

Don't you hate it when you cut your finger off trying to julienne your kids?!
    You are what you dare.

11 members found this post helpful.

Can you speak to her about it? Or has that already been done to no avail?

As much as I hate to use the argument from another thread, I am paying _X_ amount per month for the care and training of MY HORSE, not someone's child. I will not hesitate to pitch a bitch if my horse's health and well-being may be compromised.

Quote Originally Posted by mvp View Post

Are you saying Trakehner is gay or using gay terminology ?

Quote Originally Posted by Trakehner View Post
    Oh puleeze, not the "we were all childrun" blather. A "breeder" is different than a parent...a breeder just proved her uterus worked vs. raising a child to be a functional element of society. I do have a very low opinion of both breeders and sperm donors vs. mothers and fathers. The kid is a feral brat, no manners, ill-behaved and it's owner expects others to watch the darling while she rides. I have a low opinion of some women who deserve it....no pedestal due to XX Chromasome.

I'm not big on kids, either- that's why I don't have any!

Trak, have you tried scaring the crap out the child? No, not with a horse, but with an evil glare and very stern "Sit down NOW and DON'T move". I've used similar statements on ill-mannered devil spawn in restaurants. It's worked for me, I'm not shy.

OTOH, any horse trainer kids I've been around have been pretty well mannered and polite. And since their basic manners have been installed properly, anyone can remind them of those manners. It's been my experience that horse kids, even though their normal kid behavior can get on my nerves at times, are a joy to have around.

Southern California - on a freeway someplace

One of the trainers at a former barn had a daughter who ran around screaming and a son who walked around bouncing one of those large orangeish playground balls. My horse tried to steal it from him, but that was not a typical reaction. Current barn has a trainer (same discipline, BTW) with two dogs that herd and have torn pant legs and skin on people, including one child who was minding his own business.

Are there any rules with respect to children, feral or otherwise? This may not help as there is a no dog rule at the current barn. But at least it could be a place to start. Do boarders/trainers have to sign some sort of release to the barn owner so that they can't, in theory, sue the barn owner if they or their offspring get hurt by a horse.

I have had some luck in the past with walking up to the offending parent and child and offering to a-hit the railing with a stick, b-jump up and down and scream, c-throw rocks at the passing horses, or d-whatever the child is doing while the parent or child attempts to ride my green horse.

My understanding of breeder as used by gays is that it applies to both genders of the heterosexual persuasion. I have also heard spawn used as a synonym for the OP's feral brats.

Quote Originally Posted by stolen virtue View Post
    Are you saying Trakehner is gay or using gay terminology ?
    That actually is a gay term, but it just means hetero parents. It's not as derogatory as they way Trakehner is using it. We have several gay friends, so I guess we picked it up from them, we (who are childless) use that term too.
    A helmet saved my life.

2014 goal: learn to ride like TheHorseProblem, er, a barn rat!