The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678

From my experience: I almost went to law school-had AMAZING grades in College (history major) but didn't do as well as anticipated on the LSAT-just like I didn't do as well as anticipated on the SAT. I decided it wasn't worth it to not go to a top 10 law school because I wasn't going to make money. People I know in their mid to late 20s who have graduated or about to graduate:

1. Wash U transfer to NYU (26 years old)-my friend and would never ask how much she makes but Mommy is a bragger and friends with my mom and she is supposedly making $150k now (graduated last year)
    2. George Mason Grad (now 32, graduated last Spring) making $160k at a big DC firm because she had connections there
    3. 2 George Washington Law grads (24/25) working for the government making between $40-50k
    4. Currently at Emory, graduating in May (26 years old) in May frantically looking for a job

Quote Originally Posted by arab_roots View Post
    Do law schools look at online degrees differently then one from a brick and mortar school? I ask this due to being in the military I am looking at University of Maryland online to pursue my degree and really want to go to law school after I get out. I understand that law schools take in to consideration your GPA and LSAT scores but I wonder if they actually care what college you got your undergrad degree.

I plan on using the GI bill to help offset the cost of law school. Also do they take into consideration things you do outside of school(GPA) i.e. knowing a second language or working with foreign governments/NGOs?

Agree with Jumper, it is very much a numbers game. That being said, I think NYU law is going to blink if your degree is from the University of Nepal School of Fashion Design online or some factory mill, but if you're talking about a state school's accredited online program-- I don't think it'll bar your admission if your metrics are amazing. Soft factors come into play too... but usually AFTER the metrics and more as tiebreakers between otherwise equivalent students.
    ~Veronica
    "The Son Dee Times" "Sustained" "Somerset" "Franklin Square"
    http://photobucket.com/albums/y192/vxf111/

1 members found this post helpful.

Wow, I didn't know it was so bad in law. All I wanted to add to the OP is don't think you're too old to go back to school, for anything. I got my degree in Music right out of high school, had to quit playing my clarinet for medical reasons (TMJ), then at 37 got my teaching credential for music and have been teaching for 13 years. You're never to old to go back to school.

Quote Originally Posted by arab_roots View Post
    Do law schools look at online degrees differently then one from a brick and mortar school? I ask this due to being in the military I am looking at University of Maryland online to pursue my degree and really want to go to law school after I get out. I understand that law schools take in to consideration your GPA and LSAT scores but I wonder if they actually care what college you got your undergrad degree.

I plan on using the GI bill to help offset the cost of law school. Also do they take into consideration things you do outside of school(GPA) i.e. knowing a second language or working with foreign governments/NGOs?
    14 years ago, yes, my law school cared about where my undergrad degree came from. They were not impressed, since at the time it was a small university that had only recently seceded from a larger one, and my school did not have a great reputation.

But to answer your second question, yes, law schools do value life experience. I would imagine your military career and your second language and work with governments as well as NGOs would help you get in.

I know in my case, the fact that I was older, had a second language, and varied work experience - as well as glowing letters of recommendation from my undergrad professors - made up for my "good but not spectacular" (my interviewer's exact words) grades and LSAT scores and lackluster undergrad institution.

Anyone who is even considering law school should go back and read what gr8ful rider said...then read it again. See also (as we say in the law) the posts from meup and GotSpots. It really, really is that bad for new lawyers--the combined impact of technology and globalization means those jobs are never coming back.

FWIW, I'm extremely happy and I love what I do ( I set up private equity funds, I was a management consultant before that), but I had to develop a whole new skill set to do it. The legal market has changed so radically it is just mind-blowing, and I'd hate to see some really excellent advice lost among some extremely fortunate exceptions.

I've also done a lot of recruiting and I respectfully disagree as to what law firms look for in entry level candidates. They look for grades, grades, grades, and schools, schools, schools ( I went to Harvard Law School as well, although I didn't know gr8ful rider. I am, however, one of her horse's many fans.)If law firms looked at life experience and business experience more, they wouldn't be in as bad shape as they're in.

It will be interesting to see what the next decades bring for lawyers, but I would never stake my financial future on it.

ETA: Just realized the "life experience" comment was referring to law school admissions, not legal employment. I can't say I saw any different emphasis around admissions either, but YMMV.

Well, I guess I should update since this thread got brought back to life. I didn't end up going the law school route. Through a series of events I actually ended up at a photo-related start up that just announced a new product (we were just in times and front page of Yahoo this week!). It's actually been great and surprisingly enough, making much more $ than I ever thought I would be. So, for me, I'm glad that I didn't end up going the law school route as I have fortunately and finally ended up in a good spot that is related to my original degree, doing technical writing ("knowledge base manager and support engineer" is my actual role title) and managing a support team for a photo related product.

Still interesting to hear everyone's feedback!
    It's not having what you want, it's wanting what you've got.

Graduated from an elite law school (top three at the time). Hated the whole experience. Never practiced, I despised it so much. Have a ton of debt. If I could go back and do it all over again... I would not do it. It has been the bane of my existence and an anchor around my neck.

I should also add that I scored extremely well on the LSAT without a study course and any studying at all (that's how I got into such a good school, and 12 of the 13 to which I applied). I thought it was a sign that it was 'meant to be.' I was wrong.