The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Travel people--need a cruise idea for mid-June...preferably Mediterranean

Okay so our travel plans got turned on their heads this weeks so am on the prowl (quickly) to find a 5-7 day cruise for DH and I to take before we go to the US to see the kids for a week.

I have to be ready to pull the trigger in about 48 hours.

I am overwhelmed with options. I know what I like in the Caribbean, but not in the Mediterranean.

Ideas for itineraries you enjoyed?

Backstory: DH is posted to Pakistan, I'm in DC and kids are in MI but they're in school til June 19 and his timeline is such that he can only overlap with the kids for about a week. So we are still wanting to take a bit of a fun trip if we can afford it first.
    A good horseman doesn't have to tell anyone...the horse already knows.

Might be a reason, never an excuse...

There are some awesome crusies called Blue Cruise in southern Turkey: http://www.bluecruise.co.uk/ Turkey's not on the euro and way cheaper - search around for different carriers. Some are more party orientated and some more family orientated.

Croatia is the most amazing place I've been by far if you can find a place to anchor there!

And to keep it horse related: You could go horseback riding in Cappadocia if you have extra time!

Paul Gauguin Cruises has some Mediterranean options.

We did their French Polynesia cruise and it was out of this world awesome.

River cruises through Europe (not on the Med) would be a nice alternative! Small boats of about 100-150 people (versus 1000-3000+)!
    UniWorld and AMA are great, and have heard good things about Viking, although have not taken one of their cruises (yet)

1 members found this post helpful.

LOVE to cruise! I've done several European cruises. One left from Barcelona with stops in the south of France, Monaco, Italy and Malta. The second left from Southhampton, England and was a pseudo-Baltic Sea cruise (we didn't go as far north as Stockholm and thus, didn't hit Finland or Russia like most do). And the third was actually an Adriatic cruise that left from Venice.

I know you're interested in the Mediterranean, but the Baltic cruises are great in the summer (better weather IMO) and there are usually amazing deals on these.

I would avoid Carnival (not even sure if they sail in Europe...) and MSC and Costa (in my experience, Americans are not their favorite...). I really like Royal Caribbean and Celebrity. Princess is hit or miss, but I don't think their food is as good as RC or Celebrity.

Holland America has a lot of European cruises during the summer. Barcelona or Venice are common ports they use. With only a week, expect to start at one port, and end at another, so you'll have to arrange transportation through two different airports.
    It's 2014. Do you know where your old horse is?

http://www.vacationstogo.com/

Try here. Maybe the best price will give you an idea.

I second Croatia. We stayed in Cavtat, but I saw cruise ships with ports of call at Dubrovnik.

Third Croatia. We didn't sail, but the city and the coastline are amazing, and that is an understatement.

1 members found this post helpful.

Scientific American sponsors some cruises that sound wonderful.
    Some of those are in the Mediterranean.
    One more place to check.

We just booked one. Woot! Barcelona, Florence, Rome, Majorca, Cannes, Naples....should be fun.

Had to pull the trigger fast before someone changed their mind.
    A good horseman doesn't have to tell anyone...the horse already knows.

Might be a reason, never an excuse...

2 members found this post helpful.

12th floor of the Acme building in a city that knows how to keep it's secrets.

Quote Originally Posted by roamingnome View Post
    River cruises through Europe (not on the Med) would be a nice alternative! Small boats of about 100-150 people (versus 1000-3000+)!
    UniWorld and AMA are great, and have heard good things about Viking, although have not taken one of their cruises (yet)
    We have been thinking about a river cruise. You loved it?
    You will not rise to the occasion, you will default to your level of training.

Quote Originally Posted by BuddyRoo View Post
    We just booked one. Woot! Barcelona, Florence, Rome, Majorca, Cannes, Naples....should be fun.

Had to pull the trigger fast before someone changed their mind.
    Sounds wonderful!

We took a cruise out of Barcelona on Royal Caribbean about four years ago and loved it. Barcelona was great, definitely plan a day or two to spend there if you can.

And a pro tip - the cruise ships are MUCH farther away from the main port area than you think they are...they are huge and just because you can see them doesn't mean you should try to walk to them. While you can walk there from the "nearest" subway stop, you will hate yourself and your spouse (especially if walking there is your spouse's idea) by time you get to your ship if you do because that walk lugging your bags will take you forever. My DH and I nearly divorced half-way across a bridge...that was the last time he was allowed to plan our transit, ever Most of the ships offer shuttles and taxis will take you to the ships too. Do that. Trust me. It's well worth whatever the cost is.