The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Angry Just a flea vent...

We went on vacation and had to bring the dogs to a sitter while we were away. The cattle dog isn't an "anybody" time of dog, so he went to a relative who has herding dog experience and does dog boarding on the side with nice chain link individual kennels, etc. The Golden went to my BF's parents because they love him and he gets along with their dog and anybody can handle him.

He was there for 5 days. We picked him up on Saturday and his parents told us that his brother was there with their dog, who they KNOW IS INFESTED WITH FLEAS. They openly admit the dog has a flea problem, yet they still bring him to "visit" at the parents house all the time. The parents have a dog and three cats also.

Our dog has NOT ONE FLEA on him when we dropped him off. Now he is itching like crazy and has hundreds of fleas on him.

Just a vent here!!! It's just incredibly annoying that his brother would bring their dog somewhere KNOWING that its infested with fleas that they have said they can't get rid of. So go ahead, share the wealth with the rest of us who don't have flea problem!!!

His parents dog has to have them too. They claim she doesn't, but she itches all the time too, but they say they haven't seen any fleas on her so she doesn't have them. If our dog got fleas this bad from being at their house for 5 days, there is no way their animals don't have them.

RANT OVER. @!#)($*)(*!!!!
    "If you think nobody cares about you, try missing a couple payments..."

Yes, fleas are a pain--I hate them and ticks. Is your dog on a flea preventative? If so, that should take care of the problem, but believe me, I feel your pain.
    I LOVE my Chickens!

We have been battling with fleas all summer. Finally a proper flea bath at the groomer's did the trick. Three days later, my dog got sprayed in the face by a skunk at 2am. After that, fleas didn't seem so bad after all.

We used to have some friends w/ a brother like you describe. These days, it's so easy to treat for fleas that I just don't understand why people don't stay on top of it. It used to be a real process--once a week bath/dip, vacuuming everything, treating house, repeating once a week for 3+ weeks. But that was 20 years ago! Nowadays with things like Frontline and Program/Sentinel (Lufenuron), there is really no good reason that even the laziest of pet owners should have a serious constant flea infestation.

Poor critters!

Since you know that there's an issue,should you take your pets over to your in laws in the future, I'd strongly recommend using Sentinel as your HWP as it has the lufenuron which renders the fleas essentially sterile (eggs can't hatch) so you don't end up with an infestation at your home. And I'd use something like Frontline Topspot Plus for preventative. YOu know it's an issue...and if the inlaws aren't tackling the issue in their own home, chances are that even YOU visiting for a bit can bring fleas home to your pets.

Sorry...would be really frustrated too.
    A good horseman doesn't have to tell anyone...the horse already knows.

Might be a reason, never an excuse...

Supposedly, the brother & wife have brought their dog to the vet multiple times, he is on a topical preventative (Frontline) and they vacuum regularly, flea bath, and have even sprayed their property outside. They won't flea bomb the house because they have a 20 month old son and it can't be done with small children in the house (not literally IN the house when they do it obviously, she said that flea bombs weren't an option because of the kid being in the house afterwards with the residue).

It's sooooo frustrating!!! MIL stopped at the house Monday night to drop something off and I said "guess who has fleas?!" and she pointed to the Golden, and I said "yep, I'm sure your dog has them too if he got them in only 5 days!" My BF piped up and said that he had killed at least 15 of them by hand the night we brought the dog home, and the mom just commented how she can't believe their dog doesn't have them. There is NO WAY in h*ll their dog is flea free!! Or their cats!

Our dogs are on a monthly topical preventative, as is our cat. Luckily we have very minimal carpet in our house, only a large braided area rug in the living room. I have been vacuuming twice a day, dumping canister outside far away from the house, and last night we brought both dogs (just in case, I haven't seen any on my cattle dog but can't hurt!) to the river and gave them a flea bath. He is itching much less, but we'll stay on top of it.

He's not going there again! LOL!

Frontline, according to my vet, is totally worthless now. It doesn't do anything for fleas and she recommended Revolution, which will do fleas, some ticks, and heartworm. Between the visit to the groomers and the Revolution, we haven't seen any more fleas on our dog.

I think your SIL is misinformed about the flea bombs - you are supposed to be out of the house for at least three hours, I believe, but then it's safe for pets and kids to return. So take everyone out for a nice picnic at a park and hang out for a while while the chemicals do their thing. No biggie!

I think your SIL is misinformed about the flea bombs - you are supposed to be out of the house for at least three hours, I believe, but then it's safe for pets and kids to return. So take everyone out for a nice picnic at a park and hang out for a while while the chemicals do their thing. No biggie!
    Yep, it's probably because she isn't an outdoor type person, and heaven forbid we play outside for a while instead of sitting inside.