The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Post Weanlings, orphans,...and diarrhea!..Ideas??

I have 2 orphan foals one is early April other early May. I also have some recently weaned foals as well... All TB's. I am dealing with the dreaded runs!! It has been a battle on and off for the orphans of course because of foal lac milk replacer instead of having momma's milk. But they are in great weight, growing well, eating... All that good stuff but I had a couple weanlings with Lawsonia ugh!! last year so I really try to stay on top of it. I am familiar with typical treatments we use a lot of bio-sponge, diagel, pepto, probios, ranitidine, certain antibiotics, blah, blah.. But I was reading about activated charcoal powder and bentonite clay do either seem reasonable or am I aking for trouble.? Also Biomos and yea sacc? both seem reasonable priced, Im a skeptic about some probiotics and horses just as there is no solid proof on the way it works on horses but it seems more likely to help with gastric disturbances?..I am all ears if some one has experience with something that has worked.. You ask vets and get 5million different ways to go ..but does any one have any input or ideas on the products I mentioned.. Anything is appreciated Ty...

I would treat for ulcers with gastrgard or pop rocks. Foal Lac doesn't suit many foals, there are other brands that seem to be more digestible. I personally would skip the formula altogether and put them on Foal's First pellets instead.

I just said foal lac because that is what people are most familiar with they have been on Buckeye foal starter & milk pellets. I have weaned them off milk totally and just putting the milk pellets i their feed. I hate having babies on milk replacer because of the diarrhea but what do you do.. I need to chalk it up and try the poprocks... I am shaking up Zantac pills whenever they seem to neeed it.

Quote Originally Posted by moore4sure View Post
    I just said foal lac because that is what people are most familiar with they have been on Buckeye foal starter & milk pellets. I have weaned them off milk totally and just putting the milk pellets i their feed. I hate having babies on milk replacer because of the diarrhea but what do you do.. I need to chalk it up and try the poprocks... I am shaking up Zantac pills whenever they seem to neeed it.
    When I volunteered in the NICU at a large university most foals got half Foal Lac and half goats milk, and tolerated that better than straight Foal Lac. Maybe that will help the younger guys.
    As Peter, Paul, and Mary say, a dragon lives forever.

Zantac has to be fed whole to be of any use.

I find that to be very interesting about the goats milk. I have heard it for children with tummy problems but not horses. I usually use ranitadine / omperazole paste from precision pharmacy or a fingertip of gastrogaurd. I bought a bottle of Zantac per vets order after older boy orphan had a 2day colic episode about 1.5 ago to go along with his gastrogaurd. I don't know why I assumed it was different then omperazole because I know you can't shake or crush them. My son was a GERD baby and was on prevacid till he was 1.5 so I really learned a lot about reflux meds and buffers ..so on because babies can't swallow pills. I never paid much attention to h2 blockers because my son jumped straight to a PPI and then with the horses I knew about gastrogaurd which is a PPI(omperazole) as well. When we started using the ranitadine/omperazole paste I was under the impression the ranitadine kicked in a bit quicker then the omperazole and for the younger foals seemed a plus. Long story short I prob should have known better with the Zantac pills but I just went on a limb thinking my vet knew something I didn't..:-)

1 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by moore4sure View Post
    Long story short I prob should have known better with the Zantac pills but I just went on a limb thinking my vet knew something I didn't..:-)
    I've been there. So frustrating when you think to yourself, I should ave known better than to listen to the vet.

I had a similar situation with a baby a few years ago. She was UTD on deworming but we put her on strongid c daily and it cleared it up in about a week.

I have a new vet and when my filly was septic this year with massive projectile diarrhea she recommended giving her lactaid, said she had lots of success with it. I didn't get to see results because I ended up sending the filly to the clinic, but its inexpensive and might be worth a try. I think I gave 1 1/2 pills 2x day