The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Dollar Store Kitteh

So I went to the Dollar Store to buy envelopes and came home with a kitten. Someone dumped her off. When I said I was taking her home, the shoppers and the clerk applauded!

She's a sweetie. Very friendly...was trying to get in the store. She was very hungry, but has settled in with a full tummy in her temporary crate. Vet this week and in a couple of weeks...limited freedom. Miss Lily (the resident barn cat) is a bit pissed, but she'll get over it.

I need name ideas. Must end in ie or y. I have a Lily, Murphy, Jakey, Riley and Bonnie. Gone but not forgotten...Maggie and Sophie (cats) and dogs Bailey and Dakota (the outlier).

http://i1142.photobucket.com/albums/...aKY1/photo.jpg

Photo from my phone so picture quality is bad. But still, she's cute.
    "We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." ~Immanuel Kant

5 members found this post helpful.

[QUOTE=LauraKY;7107962]
    I need name ideas. Must end in ie or y. I have a Lily, Murphy, Jakey, Riley and Bonnie. Gone but not forgotten...Maggie and Sophie (cats) and dogs Bailey and Dakota (the outlier).[QUOTE]

You could go with Dolly. I also like: Molly, Bertie, Lucy, Shelby, and Poppy. She is going to be beautiful, and I am sure she loves the attention (and food).

She is a cutie.....but I have no suggestions for names. I once called a cat Orngekitty
    Founder of the Dyslexic Clique. Dyslexics of the world - UNTIE!!

Member: Incredible Invisbles

THANK YOU for that kindness -- you are a blessing for a kitten who could have ended up badly. We have them around our Dollar Store, too. I actually trapped, spayed/neutered, etc. 8 of them before my bad accident -- many are still here. I can't imagine doing such to such a helpless creature! She's lovely -- a pastel tortie! How about Pinky? That color looks sort of pink in low lighting. She's a lucky puss and God Bless you!!
    PennyG

1 members found this post helpful.

Oh, I like Pinky! She's an adorable little cutie
    Originally Posted by Alagirl
    We just love to shame poor people...when in reality, we are all just peasants.

I like Dolly--for the Dollar Store!

Congrats on your new kitty! She's lovely and a very lucky girl.
    Flip a coin. It's not what side lands that matters, but what side you were hoping for when the coin was still in the air.

You call it boxed wine. I call it carboardeaux.

3 members found this post helpful.

I was afraid this was going to be a "I bought a kitten off a sketchy rando because I felt sorry for it." This was a much sweeter story. I'm so glad you gave her a soft landing. I love the name Lily.

She's adorable!

I second Dolly, after the dollar store. Or maybe Penny - not even big enough to be a full-priced dollar, and she has some penny tones in there.

Yes, Dolly for the $ store is perfect! And you are a fabulous human for scooping up this homeless waif. {{{{{ HUGS }}}}} to both of you!!

I think Penny is super cute, but she looks like a Sadie to me!

Quote Originally Posted by GraceLikeRain View Post
    I was afraid this was going to be a "I bought a kitten off a sketchy rando because I felt sorry for it." This was a much sweeter story. I'm so glad you gave her a soft landing. I love the name Lily.
    No, I will not buy them from someone selling them. As a matter of fact, I report them to the store manager and make sure they force them to move on when I see it going on.

So many choices for names...I'm trying to figure out which ones fit. I'm kind of leaning towards Penny. She's very "coppery" colored.

2 members found this post helpful.

So.... did you pay them a buck for the cat? Or did they pay you? I would have like to see the applause. That's really nice.
    The armchair saddler
    Politically Pro-Cat

3 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by mvp View Post
    So.... did you pay them a buck for the cat? Or did they pay you? I would have like to see the applause. That's really nice.
    Kitten was free. Extra canned cat food and kitty litter (plus toys of course) were extra.

My daughter suggested Millie...then I would have Millie and Lily.

She may be going to Cincinnati. She's such a sweet, cuddly thing...she would be great as an inside cat and I can't have an inside cat. I'm mildly allergic and my hound would kill her. My daughter is asking the neighbors/friends So, we'll see.

She'll either be a barn/garage cat and a quite spoiled one or a house cat in Ohio.

I will never understand how someone could take a kitten, clearly friendly like that, and dump her. I have a kitten wrapped around my neck as I type who was pushed out of a car. I'm fostering her, and hoping I don't fall any more madly in love. Good on you for taking her. I love the name Dolly, although Millie is very good too.
    Mystic Owl Sporthorses
    www.mysticowlsporthorses.com

Naming her Penny works for me, LOL! So glad she is in good hands --
    PEnnyG

She's definitely a MILLIE.
    Alis volat propriis.

I named one Holly because she came from New Holland Sale grounds. So Dolly would work for me.

I currently have a Daisy and a Punky and Casey that fit your naming criteria. Although Casey is a boy dog. Punkie came already named.
    Oh, well, clearly you're not thoroughly indoctrinated to COTH yet, because finger pointing and drawing conclusions are the cornerstones of this great online community. (Tidy Rabbit)

Dolly since you got her at the Dollar Store.

Callie since she's a calico.

Molly
    Sadie
    Lesley because my friend Leslie once named a rescue kitten for me and I love the "ey" spelling and it's one of my favorite names spelled either way.
    Daisy
    Panda (well, it ends in "a" like Dakota and because she reminds me a bit of a tree (red) panda)
    Founder of the People Who Prefer COTH Over FB Clique
    People Who Hate to Rush to Kill Wildlife Clique!
    "I Sing Silly Songs to My Animals!" Clique

Quote Originally Posted by Wellspotted View Post
    Dolly since you got her at the Dollar Store.

Callie since she's a calico.

Molly
    Sadie
    Love the above - I had also thought of Callie, since she's a Calico.

My godmother had a calico also, named Sookie/Sukey ("Polly put the kettle on... we'll all come to tea...Sookie take it off again...")

Like Polly, too.

Nice job taking her home!
    Being right half the time beats being half-right all the time. Malcolm Forbes