The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default What could be wrong with dog?

My little chihuahua was wheezing yesterday, like she had inhaled a foxtail seed or something. I made a vet appointment but then within a couple hours the wheezing had stopped, so I cancelled the appt. But this morning she is acting very lethargic, shivering, wont even eat a treat, use bathroom, etc. I made another appointment for her at 11:00 am but now I am wondering if I should bring her in to dog ER. Does anybody know what this could be? She was acting fine last night. I am really worried.

Hollowed out volcano in the South Pacific.

That definitely sounds like some sort of illness or serious allergic reaction. I haven't a clue what exactly it would be but you should closely monitor her and get her to that vet appointment early. I wouldn't go to a dog ER unless her condition suddenly gets worse, as emergency vet care places will cost you significantly more than going to the regular vet.
    Thus do we growl that our big toes have,
    at this moment, been thrown up from below!

1 members found this post helpful.

OK, got her in at 10:15. Her heartbeat is irregular and she is guarding. They are doing bloodwork and xrays and I am waiting for phone call. They kept asking if she could have gotten into anything but I can't think of anything and searched the whole yard. They also think she may have fallen or otherwise been hurt.

I hope the horse and other dogs stay healthy this month 'cause I can only afford one big vet bill a month.

Jingles for your pup!

How is your pup doing tonight?

OK, well puppy is ok tonight. She had an extensive blood panel done that showed abnormal liver function, and her xrays turned up all this junk that shouldn't be in her

http://i183.photobucket.com/albums/x...psfe95f698.jpg

There is the really obvious metal piece in the bottom right and then a bunch of really dense objects that the vet said looked like rocks or foil or crumpled metal. I am supposed to keep an eye on what comes out of her the next few days so I can figure out if anything inside her was toxic because she was presenting like a poisoning. geez! I cannot figure out what is in her belly (large intestine actually). Anyway she is much happier tonight after all the meds (anti-toxin of some sort, dog pepto bismol, saline injection to help flush her system, etc.)

Thank you for your thoughts, I was very worried. She is 9 months old so still puppy/into everything. I will feel much better after I know what she got into so I can keep this from happening again!

OH geez, I hope she is ok!! I have a year old chi mix and she's a terrible garbage gut and so little she can do stuff the big dogs can't! I hope yours is just fine-I keep threatening mine with a big CRATE when I"m not home.. she's too little for "dietary indescretions"

It's good to hear that she is doing better. As weird as it sounds, I'd be kind of interested to hear what comes out. It is weird sometimes what they will eat. I have one who is now a senior dog that has eaten many weird things that I wouldn't have thought she would have. I still have to watch her because there are certain things that she just can't resist.

2 members found this post helpful.