The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Dog keeps getting very loud stomach?

My 5 year old Ridgeback has recently been getting a VERY loud, gurgly stomach every couple of weeks. It only happens at night. Every time is the same. Happy, energetic all day, go to feed him dinner and he runs enthusiastically to his bowl. Then he refuses to eat. Stomach is super loud all night long. Next day he is fine. No vomiting or diarrhea. Attitude and energy are great. Drinking fine. It didn't bother me before as I figured he just got into something in the yard perhaps. However this is our 5th bout of it in the past couple of months. Today he didn't leave my side once so I'm positive he didn't get into anything. He has food allergies and is on Royal Canin H/P prescription food and gets no treats or food chewiness. He seems perfectly healthy and happy on all other accounts. I worked at a vet clinic for years and don't ever remember a patient with these symptoms. I'm planning on having a fecal test run to start. Any other ideas? Trying not to be a worry wart but this is happening more frequently and it's starting to concern me. Thanks in advance!
    "We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing."

Sounds like the typical sour belly, when the acids have built up in his empty stomach which will make him anorexic. Barring something wonky its an easy fix, though. You can give him a Pepcid when it happens, then wait an hour and offer food. For prevention, give him something to eat every 4-5 hrs - doesn't have to be much, but a little something in his stomach to digest should keep the acid to a minimum. When I don't have Pepcid in the house, my go-to is a piece of bread, which works most of the time.

IMO its not uncommon for mature dogs to experience this, and I've known some to need a Pepcid 1/2 hr before all feedings to coat the stomach. Hopefully just giving your guy a bit of appropriate food throughout the day will solve the problem

Do a 2 week trial of famotidine, that usually helps Also, add in a mid day snack.

Thanks! I'll definitely try that! I'll report in on the mid-day snack and get some Pepcid on hand for if it happens again. As always he was his happy, hungry self this morning. Thanks again!!
    "We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing."

Good luck Pepcid is the priciest of the antacids and you CAN use one of the cheaper ones, but Pepcid seems to act faster and more reliably IME.