The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Buzzards bay

Looking for info on temperment, ridability, etc

Buzzards Bay was a very good race horse. A Grade 1 stakes winner of over $1.3 million. I would guess due to his somewhat “forgotten sire” line, by Marco Bay by Copelan by Tri Jet he was retired to stud in PA. Where he only got a mild reception. 19 reported live foals in 09, 19 in 10, 26 in 11, moved to CA in 2012 getting 12 reported live foals for a total of 72 as of the 2012 foaling season. His oldest foals of racing age are 3. With so few foals and his oldest crop only being 3 I think it will be hard to find enough people who have worked with them to get a “read” on his get without chasing down trainers, owners, riders, farm managers ect. We foaled a very nice colt by him for a client last year but did not raise him. Nicely made with a good disposition while he was here.
    His sire Marco Bay (foal of 1990) I believe has or had some “talking” sport horses?

1 members found this post helpful.

I actually own a 2010 offspring of Buzzards Bay. He got to me a while back as a rescue, super skinny, off the track. His registered name is Buzz Me Up and he only ran 2 times. He is lazy, but it makes for an awesome riding horse. He has fantastic gaits (A trot to die for), and is just the sweetest thing. He is really mellow but he is not afraid to pick up some speed when you ask. He goes on trails through knee high grass, deer jumping out, without any problem. How many people can say that about a 3 year old OTTB!

1 members found this post helpful.

Knew Buzzards Bay back when Jeff Mullins had him as a 3 yr back when he ran in the 2005 Kentucky Derby. We were stabled in the stakes barn near him and he was well mannered with a high level of self composure even on such a big race day. Jeff's wife used to gallop him. She was small with a nice seat and light hands, and he never gave her any trouble on the track.