The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Renaming my Horse

My horse has a name that I believe reflects poorly on her. She's a wonderfully beautiful and playful attitude. I'd like to rename her since she's gotten a new start on life.

I keep wanting to name her Paulie Walnuts from The Sopranos, which to me is hilarious but I would love any ideas from other people.

http://i.imgur.com/CHBWMu8.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/GykXYT8.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/0oPBlbj.jpg

I'd like a playful name for her, but still something beautiful.

whiskey is offline Training Level
    Original Poster

OH boo, I can't post pictures

Back to Normal.. or as close as I'll ever get

I can see your pics - cute mare!

Name her whatever you want - Paulie is a cute barn name.

I named my first horse Hey Vern! because I got him at the time the Ernest movies were popular.
    Announcers at shows had some fun with that
    *friend of bar.ka*RIP all my lovely boys, gone too soon:
    Steppin' Out 1988-2004
    Hey Vern! 1982-2009
    Cash's Bay Threat 1994-2009

Original Poster

Thanks, she's a big huge sweetheart and is a joy to be around. Paulie Walnuts is my favorite character in the Sopranos and I believe represents her offbeat personality at times.

Hey Vern! Is a great name for a horse, lol. I keep trying to find references in pop culture which I really enjoy and I'm hitting a blank. I named my dog Arya after Arya Stark from Game of Thrones, but it got shortened to Ari as time progressed. I was thinking I could name her Rose Tyler who's a companion of Dr. Who, but I'm not sure she looks like a rose.

I just want a name for her which really reflects her personality in a positive light, not a negative one.

ETA: I know Paulie Walnuts is a bad guy in the Sopranos, I just find him to be an interesting character who's pretty funny at times, focused at others.

I can't help you there, don't watch TV, so am not familiar with those names.

I will say, when the COTH the magazine came, I used to read the results and if I came across a nice name, I rode it down on the list.

When it was time to name foals or any other horse, I had a long list to pick from.
    The annual horse show issues was a great place for that.

You may want to look thru the show results and see if any name there may work, or may help jog your memory to come with just the right name.

1 members found this post helpful.

What is her current name?
    Is chasing cattle considered playing with your food?.

War veteran

Original Poster

Quote Originally Posted by microbovine View Post
    What is her current name?
    Attitude.

I call her Ad for short, but I still don't like the meaning behind the nickname. It makes me feel as though I'm calling her a bad horse, and she's not.

I'll check out show listings. I know if I ever jump a gelding I want him to be named Jumping Jack Flash lol

I think Attitude is really cute, actually. You could also just add on and call her Great Attitude or Charming Attitude or Winning Attitude or something. The difficulty with naming her after a TV character is that then you spend the next 20 years explaining who the character was.

Nothing wrong with Attitude as a name. There's all sorts, you know. Good, great, positive, willing etc. Not just bad. Maybe it's all in how you look at it?

Original Poster

Quote Originally Posted by Sparrowette View Post
    Nothing wrong with Attitude as a name. There's all sorts, you know. Good, great, positive, willing etc. Not just bad. Maybe it's all in how you look at it?
    I totally understand where you're coming from but she was named that by her previous owner -- with whom she did have a bad attitude, lol. It could of course mean good attitude, willing attitude, all that but for me it's just become associated with a negative connotation in my mind.

She's recently been through some trying times, (my fault) and come out of so happy, friendly and forgiving. I'd like to mark this important transformation and change in both of our lives in some way.

I find names after show characters a pretty easy way out. My dog's name is Arya, but I call her Ari. I never have to explain her name. I want to name her something beautiful, for her beauty. Maybe a constellation. I'll find the perfect name, renaming her is actually something important to me.

Maybe Rose.
    Or Cassiopeia, Cass for short. It means Queen. Oriana, I think it means golden. Phoenix.

I've always heard it's very bad luck to rename a horse....or a boat...or a farm. It upsets the gods or something. Be afraid, be very afraid!! I like Attitude. Think it'd be Addy, Atty, Tude, Tudey, Titu or something. After all, she IS a mare!! Stick with amending her barn name. jmho!

We had a mare named Attitude - Atty for short

I'm never good at renaming a horse because once I get a name stuck in my head (such as their current name) I just can't come up with a different name. For that reason I have two geldings with less than favorable names IMO - RH and Drayton.
    Southern Cross Guest Ranch
    An All Inclusive Guest Ranch Vacation - Georgia
    www.southcross.com
    RIP Bocephus March 2008 - April 2013

Original Poster

I have that problem too, I'm not going to lie lol.

ETA: This is her barn name, I'm not changing her registered name. Then again, I don't want to go upsetting any horsey gods.

IMHO Paulie Walnuts carries way more of a negative connotation--maybe not for you, but most people will have a different impression. (Besides you will spend a lot of time explaining that she's actually a mare even though her she's named after a guy I'd LOVE that name however for a devious Shetland.)

I changed names on all my horses and we've all survived our time together without bad luck being rained down upon our house. Brio used to be "Hershey". She was a young grade mare so I wasn't worried about registered name or show history. Kips Bay was called Barry, derived from his registered name H. Barat. I just hated Barry. So for his informal name I looked through his lineage and found Kippy, which made me smile because my husband and my 1st apartment was in the Kips Bay neighborhood in NYC. And part of why I was getting back into horses was to replace the homesickness I was feeling due to having just moved to Iowa from NYC. So he became Kips Bay. (Though more than once someone has commented "I don't get it-- he's a chestnut...." I hadn't anticipated that outside the NY metro area, most people wouldn't know that Kips Bay is a place )

Original Poster

Oh, I know what you're saying about Paulie Walnuts, and in a weird way, she does exhibit many of the qualities he did, in a GOOD light. Naming her Paulie Walnuts would make her crazy days way more explainable. It's surprisingly fitting, plus I'd just call her Paulie and when she was bad Paulie Walnuts. (A side note, I know he's a monster)

That's a great way to name a horse and is actually how I named my dog that just passed.

Penny Lane is a great name for a horse, I've always thought that. I also love the name Honey for a horse but she's black and white so that doesn't really work, haha.

Honey works just fine! I like it a lot. A pretty show name could be "Just Like Honey"

Remember they do tend to live up to their names... I do like the Honey suggestion. Very pretty name for a pretty mare.

Original Poster

Honey it is! The fact that I too believe that horses live up to their name, is part of the reason why I'm going to rename her. I think Honey is perfect, and I love the name "Just Like Honey" for shows. If we ever do that

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tzzr7RbzUTs
    That song, American Honey, really reminded me to return to my passion of riding. Honey is her name Yay I'm happy. Thank you guys!