The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by wendy View Post
    I don't think pediatric spays are good at all for the health of the kittens, and until someone definitely proves otherwise, I don't think they should be done.
    They've done many studies on the benefits, risks, and misunderstandings.

http://veterinarymedicine.dvm360.com....jsp?id=709366

Quote Originally Posted by mvp View Post
    Yeah, "OW!", though.

Give a cat a break for a minute.
    You could give her a break from the situation by not letting her get pregnant or have kittens in the first place, but it's a little late for that.

Quote Originally Posted by harnessphoto View Post
    You could give her a break from the situation by not letting her get pregnant or have kittens in the first place, but it's a little late for that.
    Um, forgive me if this wasn't directed at me, but I felt like it was.....we didn't let her get pregnant. We thought she was spayed.
    Tin Roof Living- Custom Wreaths & Home Décor
    http://www.etsy.com/shop/TinRoofLiving?ref=ss_profile
    PM me to receive a COTH discount!

4 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by talkofthetown View Post
    Um, forgive me if this wasn't directed at me, but I felt like it was.....we didn't let her get pregnant. We thought she was spayed.
    Not aimed at you at all. I think it's a moot point to discuss what coulda, shoulda, woulda been done. You are in this situation through no fault of your own and you have to deal with it in a way that is feasible for you and allows you to sleep at night afterwards. I think you need to know your options and the rest of it is none of our business. I certainly don't blame you and I applaud you for trying to do the right thing by the kitty. I get a little tunnel vision when I see people spewing opinions against pediatric surgeries, TNR, ear tips, abortive spays, etc. as though they were fact. My OPINION is that abortive spays can be helpful in situations like this (your opinion varies and that's perfectly fine!) The FACTS are that there are many benefits to pediatric surgeries. "I don't like to do them so young," is not a FACT and should not be presented as such. Again, I don't think poorly of you based on anything in this thread (not that it would matter if I did). I think you're between a rock and a hard place. I wish the best for you, your kitty momma, and the kittens. Hopefully you'll even be able to place some of them with fellow COTHers!

Ok, thank you for elaborating. Sorry to jump to the wrong conclusion...joys of reading things on the internet

So, uh......you want a kitten? Haha.

Quote Originally Posted by harnessphoto View Post
    Not aimed at you at all. I think it's a moot point to discuss what coulda, shoulda, woulda been done. You are in this situation through no fault of your own and you have to deal with it in a way that is feasible for you and allows you to sleep at night afterwards. I think you need to know your options and the rest of it is none of our business. I certainly don't blame you and I applaud you for trying to do the right thing by the kitty. I get a little tunnel vision when I see people spewing opinions against pediatric surgeries, TNR, ear tips, abortive spays, etc. as though they were fact. My OPINION is that abortive spays can be helpful in situations like this (your opinion varies and that's perfectly fine!) The FACTS are that there are many benefits to pediatric surgeries. "I don't like to do them so young," is not a FACT and should not be presented as such. Again, I don't think poorly of you based on anything in this thread (not that it would matter if I did). I think you're between a rock and a hard place. I wish the best for you, your kitty momma, and the kittens. Hopefully you'll even be able to place some of them with fellow COTHers!

I can't have one, unfortunately

I have six cats sitting here in my house right now. Five of them were spayed/neutered when they were between 12 and 13 weeks old. They are healthy, happy, and normal cats. One was neutered when she was 7 months and in heat. She is also a healthy, happy, normal cat. There is no difference between my cats that were spayed/neutered early and the one that wasn't. I'll keep tabs on them and let you know how they progress. Five of them are littermates, so it'll be my little experiment to see if the ones who were spayed early have any problems as compared to the one who wasn't. I also have an old boxer that was neutered at 3 months. He's 8 1/2 now, and other than some arthritis is healthy (bloodwork last week, everything is normal). My last boxer was neutered at 18 months (I was going to show him, but decided not too). He died at 5 due to heart disease. The other two dogs are cattle dog and a cattle dog mix. The purebred was neutered at 3 months, the cross bred was neutered after her first heat due to a medical issue. So far, the purebred is much healthier. The cross bred has endocrine pancreatic insufficiency. And allergies.

At our shelter, we spay and neuter a LOT of babies. Animals lives are short enough that we get to see the results of that, and they seem to be happy enough.

Honestly, the only way to find out if pediatric spay/neuter is a problem is to start cloning, and neutering the babies at different times to see if there is a difference in their health. Of course, you'd have to do this in a lab so that you can control food, environment, exercise, etc to make sure that's all equal.

I'd love to know what these problems are that pediatric spays are supposed to be having.

2 members found this post helpful.

I have been watching this thread. did the momma cat have her kittens??

I would not have been able to do an abortive spay either. not so close to them being born. and yes I understand all the arguments.

3 members found this post helpful.

Had one at the clinic today. She looked ready to pop. They were sure she'd have them 'any day'. She was feral so they opted for abortive spay. Turns out they weren't far along at all and had weeks to go. You can't tell just by looking at a cat if they're far along or not.

And AE, I love your comment.

Want.update.now!! Did momma have her kittens? Pictures!

Here is a really awful dark blurry cell phone picture!! Will get better ones!

http://s1320.photobucket.com/user/br...tml?sort=3&o=0

Quote Originally Posted by ASBJumper View Post
    Want.update.now!! Did momma have her kittens? Pictures!
    I keep checking back, wanting kitten spam!

Quote Originally Posted by baxtersmom View Post
    I keep checking back, wanting kitten spam!
    Picture posted above

Please set your sights a little higher than barn homes for these kittens. There is no reason they should be relegated to such a low life expectancy life when they were born into a home and presumably will be socialized. Save the barn homes for the TNRs.

I was not intending for them to go to a "low life expectancy" home....I thought that it would be appropriate to call them Barn Kitties on a horse-related BB, but obviously they could go in to whatever kind of home the new owners had in mind.

Our experiences must be different, because all the barn cats (at multiple stables) that I've ever known have had just as good, if not better, care, quality, and length of life as a typical inside pet cat.

Wasn't implying that I don't care what happens to the little fluff balls once they are rehomed.

5 members found this post helpful.

The menagerie is a mine field! LOL

Cute babies and you'll enjoy them until they're ready for their new homes!

The Itteh Bitteh Kitteh Cuddle Pile!

I vote for kitten pic spam for sure!

1 members found this post helpful.

Default New kitten spam!!

Enjoy that not moving around much thing while it lasts! They are so sweet.
    Originally Posted by Alagirl
    We just love to shame poor people...when in reality, we are all just peasants.

I was not intending for them to go to a "low life expectancy" home....I thought that it would be appropriate to call them Barn Kitties on a horse-related BB, but obviously they could go in to whatever kind of home the new owners had in mind.

Our experiences must be different, because all the barn cats (at multiple stables) that I've ever known have had just as good, if not better, care, quality, and length of life as a typical inside pet cat.

Wasn't implying that I don't care what happens to the little fluff balls once they are rehomed.
    Agree- our barn cat at works gets high quality food, has a heated bed, vet care, several kinds of treats (because she likes to pick which one she wants LOL!), and attention whenever she wants it. Somehow I don't think that's a bad life at all for a cat
    “While the rest of the species is descended from apes, redheads are descended from cats.” Mark Twain

New kitteh pictures!! Eyes are open, they are alert and curious, *almost* walking.

Staring at the ceiling fan in wonder:
    http://s1320.photobucket.com/user/br...tml?sort=3&o=5

Sleepy kitteh

http://s1320.photobucket.com/user/br...tml?sort=3&o=0
    Last edited by talkofthetown; Sep. 6, 2013 at 01:20 PM.