The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Appaloosa Gelding (Morgantown, PA)- Placed

A friend of mine has sold his farm and needs to find a home for his appaloosa gelding.

Lobo is a 22 year old, 15.1 hand Appaloosa. His last shots were in April and he just saw the farrier on 7/18/2013. He wears eggbar shoes for navicular (nothing else) and is seen every 6-8 weeks depending on how fast his feet are growing. I believe he is barefoot in the back. He is not on any special medications. Occasionally needs a bute for the navicular. Has been on a regular worming program.

He is a great trail horse. Crosses bridges, good with traffic, loves water, will lead or follow or be in the middle. He would be good for an advanced beginner and he can be a bit forward but is rateable.

Lobo would make a good companion as he is pretty passive in the field. He has spent some time in the past as an only horse and was fine with it.
    He comes with his saddle, girth, breastplate, bridle and turn-out sheet.

He is a very easy keeper but not so easy that he needs a dry lot or a muzzle. He gets a ration balancer this time of year and in winter hay and ration balancer. Currently turned out 24/7.

He is a good egg. I would like to see him go to a good home.

I am willing to trailer Lobo up to 2 hours away maybe a little longer for the right home.

I will see about getting pictures from the owner. Please let me know if you have questions.

Last edited by SonnysMom; Aug. 6, 2013 at 10:53 AM.
    Oh, well, clearly you're not thoroughly indoctrinated to COTH yet, because finger pointing and drawing conclusions are the cornerstones of this great online community. (Tidy Rabbit)

Just thought I would bump this. Farm was sold due to divorce and well, things have gotten ugly so Lobo really needs a home like yesterday.

I have been told the navicular really isn't a problem. He is off maybe once or twice a year and a few days of bute and he is sound again.

The owner thinks Lobo is quiet enough for a therapy horse. Yes, I know many people think their horse would be a good therapy horse but don't realize what it takes to be a therapy horse. However the owner used to work at Sebastian as an equine therapist so he does realize how tolerant these horses need to be.

Anybody looking for a nice trail horse, companion horse, beginner's horse, husband horse, therapy horse Lobo is worth a look.
    Oh, well, clearly you're not thoroughly indoctrinated to COTH yet, because finger pointing and drawing conclusions are the cornerstones of this great online community. (Tidy Rabbit)

I would caution the owner against giving Lobo to a therapy place. A very well-regarded therapy center near us did not manage our pony's navicular when we sent him to them on trial. Stopped the meds ($), stopped the bar shoes ($), put any rider on him no matter how heavy, and JUMPED him. Pony came back crippled - they called to say "he wasn't working out because of his soundness issues". Uh, full disclosure right up front (he had been Jazz and Rosie Napravnik's pony, so they KNEW his issues - he was a pony celebrity in our area) - no adherence to agreement. Never do THAT again.

Quote Originally Posted by JanWeber View Post
    I would caution the owner against giving Lobo to a therapy place. A very well-regarded therapy center near us did not manage our pony's navicular when we sent him to them on trial. Stopped the meds ($), stopped the bar shoes ($), put any rider on him no matter how heavy, and JUMPED him. Pony came back crippled - they called to say "he wasn't working out because of his soundness issues". Uh, full disclosure right up front (he had been Jazz and Rosie Napravnik's pony, so they KNEW his issues - he was a pony celebrity in our area) - no adherence to agreement. Never do THAT again.
    Sorry to hear you had issues. Owner was considering paying for Lobo's special shoeing for a therapy place for a bit as a way to place him.

Lobo actually found a nice home through owner's vet with other clients of hers. He will mostly be a companion with the occasional light trail ride. New owners said old owner and his 6 year old daugher can come visit.

It was really cute when I got to the farm with him there was chalk on the driveway that said "Welcome Home Lobo" and "This way to your new home Lobo" with an arrown pointing to the two stall barn.

I am so glad this guy found a home, I was tempted myself, tho I'm at my personal horse limit.

You do good work Sonny's Mom!
    OLD FRIENDS FARM-Equine Retirement-We LOVE Seniors!! Spoiling Retirees since 1998
    http://www.angelfire.com/oldfriendsfarm/home.html
    Charter Member of UYA!