The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Does nobody worry about Craig's list where potential purchasers come to your house to scope the joint and see if there is anything worth coming back for?
    Proud member of People Who Hate to Kill Wildlife clique

1 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Foxtrot's View Post
    Does nobody worry about Craig's list where potential purchasers come to your house to scope the joint and see if there is anything worth coming back for?
    I always meet CL people in a public place (horse show, strip mall, etc.)
    ~Veronica
    "The Son Dee Times" "Sustained" "Somerset" "Franklin Square"
    http://photobucket.com/albums/y192/vxf111/

5 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by RubyTuesday View Post
    No, not when tack shops charge 33%, and then you not only have to wait an undetermined period of time for someone to buy, but they also have a trial policy in place. None of that works if you want a saddle sold in 7-10 days.
    Around here it's more like 50%

eBay is good when you want to sell a saddle quickly.

But the current system is making it less appealing.

I've also had good luck listing on equestrian sites, but you still need to deal with Paypal, which also takes its cut.

When I've done "live" transactions (such as Craig's list) I generally meet people in a public place or send items to be sold to my husband's place of business (warehouse) to avoid having strangers come to the house.
    Equine Ink - My soapbox for equestrian writings & reviews.
    EquestrianHow2 - Operating instructions for your horse.

Quote Originally Posted by RubyTuesday View Post
    No, not when tack shops charge 33%, and then you not only have to wait an undetermined period of time for someone to buy, but they also have a trial policy in place. None of that works if you want a saddle sold in 7-10 days.
    At this point, I'm just fine with that. Yes, our saddle sold in 7 days but the hassle that is coming with having to deal with this isn't worth it. Had the seat on our saddle been smaller, we'd have sold it in the barn. In the future, anything that I'm not using will either be sold within our microcosm, or I will drive it the 1.5 hr to So. Pines and consign it or it will just sit and gather dust.

It really chaps my hide that b/c someone's bad actions are so overt and there's a chance that despite all the evidence I provide, I can end up being stuck with having to refund all of the purchase price and shipping + selling fees, thus paying for this lady to try a saddle, maybe damage it, and take up a bunch of my time dealing with it. Yes, I could just give her all the money back and hope for the best but the principle of the thing...I don't wish to be part of rewarding bad behavior.

4 members found this post helpful.

Moral of this story, just say no to EBay. Dealing with the public is truly a pain in the you know what...

3 members found this post helpful.

As far as ebay goes, they don't have any real ability to review the cases (what do they know about saddles) so they always have the same resolution.

She will get to return it, she will have to pay return shipping and you will be refunded your selling fees, but you will still be out your initial shipping.

Not trying to be mean/discouraging, but as a frequent user of ebay that is just how SNAD cases work. They never force the buyer to keep the item.

I sold my really nice saddle through consignment. The fee was 20% and well worth it.

My cheaper saddle is on craigslist. I won't sell anything on eBay. Not worth the fees (from eBay and paypal) or the stress.

eBay has always made me nervous, probably because I just don't understand it well enough. I just sold a saddle to Maryland Tack Exchange. Great experience. I would deal with them again any day. Sold in a week, didn't have to wait for it to sell on consignment etc.

Insurance for the buyer? and did the buyer put insurance as it is coming back to you?

Quote Originally Posted by JRG View Post
    Insurance for the buyer? and did the buyer put insurance as it is coming back to you?
    It doesn't settle until Wednesday; then there's a 48 hour window for me to respond. Nothing is settled yet. I've got photos and affidavits...and a friend is answering for me since I'll be out of the country. I realize the odds are not in my favor according to what everyone says but I've proven the saddle was accurately described and I've also asked the buyer for photos of the alleged damage...no response so far...and if she ends up sending the saddle back and it is damaged, I will make the time to file an appeal & a complaint against her, a police report, etc. Yes, life is short, but what's so nuts about this whole thing is that if she had just asked for a trial, I would have said no and we'd never be in this situation. For that matter, I've seen the horse she was shopping for on her FB account and I could've told her the saddle wouldn't fit simply from the photo (horse obviously needs a W or XW). All this woman had to do was communicate with me...I'm not unreasonable. To have her lie and behave like this has really offended my sensibilities. (I know...boo hoo for me.)

Anyway - regardless of what happens now, lesson learned. NO MORE EBAY. EVER.

4 members found this post helpful.

sell saddles? Heck we just keep them, as surely as it sold the kids will drag in another horse that it will fit

Cannot respond on the rude buyers but...
    shortly Ebay will require that the sale is not complete until the buyers actually pays for it. This means until Paypal has the buyers money...the item is still for sale and anyone can buy it.
    This will suck for those who want to combine all purchase charges..

Chaps me when someone buys something from my Ebay store...then ignores my communications about payment for days or weeks. I state in the listing payment is due in 7 days..On the 8th...I now file a non paying bidder complaint. Then ban the buyer and go on to the next sale.

Ebay is not the seller/buyers dream site it used to be...but it does have it uses.
    the NOT!! Spoiled!! Arabian Protectavest poster pony lives on in my heart http://i118.photobucket.com/albums/o...pscc2a5330.jpg

If there was damage to the saddle upon receipt, why was that not the first thing she mentioned. If I receive something that is damaged enough to bother me, I am not going to go try it on my horse.

Hope eBay realizes that

Quote Originally Posted by jay0087 View Post
    If there was damage to the saddle upon receipt, why was that not the first thing she mentioned. If I receive something that is damaged enough to bother me, I am not going to go try it on my horse.

Hope eBay realizes that
    That is exactly what I'm hoping...that common sense will prevail. It's just been something else in this land where the person making the accusations has to PROVE it to be in eBay land where I'm assumed by eBay to be guilty of having misled the buyer. It would be obvious to a 5th grader that this woman is just trying to get her way and not be accountable.

Quote Originally Posted by Finzean View Post
    That is exactly what I'm hoping...that common sense will prevail. It's just been something else in this land where the person making the accusations has to PROVE it to be in eBay land where I'm assumed by eBay to be guilty of having misled the buyer. It would be obvious to a 5th grader that this woman is just trying to get her way and not be accountable.
    The problem is that the people who review claims seem to be clueless and sometimes barely literate. And they are clearly following policies heavily slanted in the buyer's favor. I hope I am wrong, but I think eBay will find against you and make you accept the return. BUT if you cause a big enough stink eBay may reimburse you so the liability is on them. If you're lucky AND if you cause a big, huge, giant stink.
    ~Veronica
    "The Son Dee Times" "Sustained" "Somerset" "Franklin Square"
    http://photobucket.com/albums/y192/vxf111/

Quote Originally Posted by macmtn View Post
    Cannot respond on the rude buyers but...
    shortly Ebay will require that the sale is not complete until the buyers actually pays for it. This means until Paypal has the buyers money...the item is still for sale and anyone can buy it.
    This will suck for those who want to combine all purchase charges..

Chaps me when someone buys something from my Ebay store...then ignores my communications about payment for days or weeks. I state in the listing payment is due in 7 days..On the 8th...I now file a non paying bidder complaint. Then ban the buyer and go on to the next sale.

Ebay is not the seller/buyers dream site it used to be...but it does have it uses.
    To combine charges, I don't see why you couldn't just offer the discount for combined shipping, etc in the invoice when sent.

Sounds like this is something they are going to help protect sellers...and their own a$$es from having to do a lot of cases for nonpaying bidders.

Quote Originally Posted by Finzean View Post
    It doesn't settle until Wednesday; then there's a 48 hour window for me to respond. Nothing is settled yet. I've got photos and affidavits...and a friend is answering for me since I'll be out of the country. I realize the odds are not in my favor according to what everyone says but I've proven the saddle was accurately described and I've also asked the buyer for photos of the alleged damage...no response so far...and if she ends up sending the saddle back and it is damaged, I will make the time to file an appeal & a complaint against her, a police report, etc. Yes, life is short, but what's so nuts about this whole thing is that if she had just asked for a trial, I would have said no and we'd never be in this situation. For that matter, I've seen the horse she was shopping for on her FB account and I could've told her the saddle wouldn't fit simply from the photo (horse obviously needs a W or XW). All this woman had to do was communicate with me...I'm not unreasonable. To have her lie and behave like this has really offended my sensibilities. (I know...boo hoo for me.)

Anyway - regardless of what happens now, lesson learned. NO MORE EBAY. EVER.
    Like I've said before, I have had many, many more positive Ebay transactions and very few gripes. That said, I am very glad you are kicking up a fuss. Sellers need to kick up a fuss before this kind of behavior gets out of hand. Ebay needs to start seeing that this can make their shares take a hit.

Quote Originally Posted by Beam Me Up View Post
    Ebay doesn't have the hours/expertise to evaluate every buyer's claim that an item was misrepresented. So if a buyer wants to return something (it doesn't fit, they found a better deal, whatever), all they need to do is file a "significantly not as described" claim and ebay will force the return.
    And what, exactly, is dictating Ebay's use of time such that "it doesn't have hours to put into investigation?" It's a made-up business model. They can structure it any way they like.

My guess is that large retailers, which have become the predominant type of seller there, don't care about returns as much as the little guy. So they flock to Ebay and don't demand much service other than a huge set of buyers. Those retailers are set up to deal with returns and absorb the cost.

Ebay follows the money and provides the kind of service that maximizes the number of transactions. They don't care who is making 'em.
    The armchair saddler
    Politically Pro-Cat

2 members found this post helpful.

If I never sold on Ebay I would never sell my saddles. The market here is just waaaaay too small to really sell anything. Fortunately I have had only good luck and happy buyers. I am still waiting on a saddle to arrive that I purchased about a week and a half ago. No tracking info. It wasn't expensive, but I'm not looking forward to having to complain if it doesn't show up.