The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by RubyTuesday View Post
    Like I've said before, I have had many, many more positive Ebay transactions and very few gripes. That said, I am very glad you are kicking up a fuss. Sellers need to kick up a fuss before this kind of behavior gets out of hand. Ebay needs to start seeing that this can make their shares take a hit.
    I never had any bad experiences selling on ebay, but I've heard about way too many scares like the op's so I don't shop or sell there. And I don't miss it so all is well. I've sold a couple of saddles through tack shop consignments. Had good luck even though it took several months to sell one of them, I go that route again.
    "All top hat and no canter". *Graureiter*

Quote Originally Posted by Bluey View Post
    I tried a used saddle that Rick's Heritage Saddlery had, in NJ, I think.
    Saddle didn't fit, sent it back, got my money back right away.(
    They're a good place to buy.

To sell? Not so much. They had a saddle for close to a year and never listed on their site, despite my periodic reminders. I sold it elsewhere.
    Born under a rock and owned by beasts!

There was someone on the eventing forum who had a similar experience. Ebay found in her favor. You might be able to find the thread with a search.

Quote Originally Posted by IFG View Post
    There was someone on the eventing forum who had a similar experience. Ebay found in her favor. You might be able to find the thread with a search.
    I think we're thinking of the same thread (County saddle). eBay did NOT "find in her favor." eBay found in the buyer's favor and allowed the buyer to return the saddle for a refund. But the seller complained and eBay credited her the amount of the saddle so she ended up with the saddle and the refund. Which is why I suggested the OP cause a stink w/eBay. But eBay did NOT find against the buyer.
    ~Veronica
    "The Son Dee Times" "Sustained" "Somerset" "Franklin Square"
    http://photobucket.com/albums/y192/vxf111/

Quote Originally Posted by vxf111 View Post
    I think we're thinking of the same thread (County saddle). eBay did NOT "find in her favor." eBay found in the buyer's favor and allowed the buyer to return the saddle for a refund. But the seller complained and eBay credited her the amount of the saddle so she ended up with the saddle and the refund. Which is why I suggested the OP cause a stink w/eBay. But eBay did NOT find against the buyer.
    Right VXF, that is the one. You have a better memory than I.

Quote Originally Posted by IFG View Post
    Right VXF, that is the one. You have a better memory than I.
    I remember because I thought maybe, maybe just ONCE eBay might find for the seller but nope again...
    ~Veronica

Do y'all remember the COTH users name? I'm searching for it. I'm definitely not letting this drop. I've requested that the buyer send me a photo of the alleged damage and do it us to get no reply. Probably b/c there is no damage to photograph. Anyway I'm searching the eventing forum but if anyone remembers other details please share. I have a bad feeling this business of trying saddles at the sellers expense is maybe a habit for this girl.

Oh - some advice please - I have the name of the "trainer" and her business phone number at her studio in Upstare NY - should I call her and request a photo of the damage? The buyer has written that the trainer said the saddle was completely unsafe. Probably not a good idea but I sort of want to just call this all out into the real world as opposed to cyber world.

I think this was the eventing thread: http://www.chronofhorse.com/forum/sh...highlight=ebay
    Caitlin
    *OMGiH I Loff my Mare* and *My Saddlebred Can Do Anything Your Horse Can Do*
    http://community.webshots.com/user/redmare01

Quote Originally Posted by RedMare01 View Post
    I think this was the eventing thread: http://www.chronofhorse.com/forum/sh...highlight=ebay
    That's it!
    ~Veronica

Quote Originally Posted by RedMare01 View Post
    OK the way that thread ended was that ebay satisfied both the OP and the buyer. So ebay did not stiff the seller/OP, if I read the OP's posts correctly.

So if ebay doesn't allow sellers to rate buyers, how come we buyers have ratings? Sellers rate us as we rate them on each purchase.

I've bought 5 saddles off of ebay over the years. One from the UK, one from Germany, one from FL and one from California, all high end saddles. The fifth saddle was a moderately priced german saddle that I bought from a seller here in GA. I've bought high end bridles from France and from NY state and from Maryland & CA as well as other tack from all over the USA and the UK. All the buyers correctly & honestly described tack, and those who weren't horse people responded to my questions about the tack, when I explained what I was asking to them. All showed any defects and all were honest seller.

I bought one saddle consigned to a tack store in SC. I think the fee to the seller was something like 45% of the sales price. I also bought 2 saddles out of the Georgia Agricultural Market Bulletin, but I drove up to Madison to look at them before buying. And I bought one high end saddle from the ads in Coth Mag. The seller lived in Jax, and I worked down to the border, so we met and exchanged saddle for money on 95. I bet that looked like a dope deal with thousands of dollars in cash being handed over for a big brown item.

As long as people check the buyer's rating and feedback, as we buyers should check the seller's rating and feedback, and ask questions about tack, things should work out. There will always be scammers everywhere. Both paypal and ebay have been great on the few things, non-horse items, that I did not receive from the sellers.

cloudyandcallie -

I have been a seller/buyer on eBay since forever. I've even purchased saddles from German eBay and NEVER had a bad situation. I have 100s of (+) feedback - not one negative. If this buyer had chosen to communicate with me beforehand, she wouldn't have bought this saddle b/c I wouldn't have sent it on trial. If she had communicated with me after the saddle didn't fit her very wide paint horse instead of lying and filing a case, I probably would have been just fine with refunding her purchase price less the shipping and eBay fee.

I was honest to a fault with this saddle sale. Everyone involved knows it; buyer refuses to present any evidence of her claim. Honesty apparently isn't worth much these days. Looks like eBay will lose an honest seller...not that I did much on there...but I was one of the honest ones.

Quote Originally Posted by cloudyandcallie View Post
    OK the way that thread ended was that ebay satisfied both the OP and the buyer. So ebay did not stiff the seller/OP, if I read the OP's posts correctly.
    The OP in that older thread made out ok. But eBay made her allow the saddle to be returned and made her refund the buyer. Then AFTER that happened she raised a stink (rightfully so) and eBay also gave her the value of the saddle. So she ended up ok in the end, but in terms of the dispute process-- eBay found for the buyer and forced her to accept the return. eBay did not "side" with her or find in her favor. eBay decided they made some sort of clerical error and as a result they credited her the value of the saddle. Very different from finding for the seller rather than the buyer-- and I don't know how good the odds are that eBay will do the same for the OP of this thread.

So if ebay doesn't allow sellers to rate buyers, how come we buyers have ratings? Sellers rate us as we rate them on each purchase.
    A seller can give a buyer feedback... it can be positive, positive, or positive. A seller can't give anything but positive feedback. No matter how bad a buyer is, the choices a seller has are to give positive feedback or none at all.

A buyer can give a seller positive, neutral, or negative feedback. Or none.

I've bought 5 saddles off of ebay over the years. One from the UK, one from Germany, one from FL and one from California, all high end saddles. The fifth saddle was a moderately priced german saddle that I bought from a seller here in GA. I've bought high end bridles from France and from NY state and from Maryland & CA as well as other tack from all over the USA and the UK. All the buyers correctly & honestly described tack, and those who weren't horse people responded to my questions about the tack, when I explained what I was asking to them. All showed any defects and all were honest seller.

I bought one saddle consigned to a tack store in SC. I think the fee to the seller was something like 45% of the sales price. I also bought 2 saddles out of the Georgia Agricultural Market Bulletin, but I drove up to Madison to look at them before buying. And I bought one high end saddle from the ads in Coth Mag. The seller lived in Jax, and I worked down to the border, so we met and exchanged saddle for money on 95. I bet that looked like a dope deal with thousands of dollars in cash being handed over for a big brown item.
    I had had lots of positive experiences over the years too. Things have changed. A lot. For the worse. And recently.

As long as people check the buyer's rating and feedback, as we buyers should check the seller's rating and feedback, and ask questions about tack, things should work out. There will always be scammers everywhere. Both paypal and ebay have been great on the few things, non-horse items, that I did not receive from the sellers.
    This doesn't work because, as mentioned above, a buyer can be a totalwing nut and sellers CANNOT give that buyer negative feedback. So the next seller has NO IDEA how bad that buyer is... your whole "feedback polices abuse" argument would work if eBay didn't prohibit negative feedback for buyers. But it does. So a buyer can scam away on every transaction and the next seller will have no way of knowing...
    ~Veronica

1 members found this post helpful.

The lengths dishonest people will go to on eBay is astounding. I bought a blue iPhone 5 Otterbox from a commercial seller. As soon as I paid, I mean the VERY SECOND, the seller withdrew the listing. When the package arrived, it was an Otterbox alright-- a green one that fit an iPhone 4. I couldn't leave the seller negative feedback because you can't leave feedback on a removed listing. Very very sneaky/clever and now that I watch that seller-- it's what s/he ALWAYS does to avoid getting negged for sending out defective/incorrect merchandise.
    ~Veronica

2 members found this post helpful.

vxf111 - This is exactly why I wish I could out this woman in Upstate New York. I wish people would know how she - a small business owner - operates. I have a feeling this ain't her first rodeo either.

Let me just say as much as I LOVE fish & rice, if I were in Poughkeepsie [sic], I wouldn't be dining at her establishment not matter how great the food... It IS about the principle...I try not to do any sort of business with dishonest, sneaky people. The end.

The lengths dishonest people will go to on eBay is astounding. I bought a blue iPhone 5 Otterbox from a commercial seller. As soon as I paid, I mean the VERY SECOND, the seller withdrew the listing. When the package arrived, it was an Otterbox alright-- a green one that fit an iPhone 4. I couldn't leave the seller negative feedback because you can't leave feedback on a removed listing. Very very sneaky/clever and now that I watch that seller-- it's what s/he ALWAYS does to avoid getting negged for sending out defective/incorrect merchandise.
    Go on EBay's chat help and report this so they can track her.

Go on EBay's chat help and report this so they can track her.
    I did report the seller, but s/he's a BIGTIME power seller, so my guess is that nothing will happen. The only better person to be on eBay than a BUYER is a huge volume powerseller. Apparently you can be totally disreputable and get away with it. There's the rules for everybody and then the rules for the special everybodys

Seriously... I'm basically done with eBay.
    ~Veronica

I did report the seller, but s/he's a BIGTIME power seller, so my guess is that nothing will happen. The only better person to be on eBay than a BUYER is a huge volume powerseller. Apparently you can be totally disreputable and get away with it. There's the rules for everybody and then the rules for the special everybodys

Seriously... I'm basically done with eBay.
    Care to tell who they are by username? I am betting there is someone on here who can get results..."special everybodys" don't seem to hold up well against the wrath here once it gets moving.

The OP in that older thread made out ok. But eBay made her allow the saddle to be returned and made her refund the buyer. Then AFTER that happened she raised a stink (rightfully so) and eBay also gave her the value of the saddle. So she ended up ok in the end, but in terms of the dispute process-- eBay found for the buyer and forced her to accept the return. eBay did not "side" with her or find in her favor. eBay decided they made some sort of clerical error and as a result they credited her the value of the saddle. Very different from finding for the seller rather than the buyer-- and I don't know how good the odds are that eBay will do the same for the OP of this thread.
    As I recall, it wasn't a clerical error. It was that the OP received the saddle back with serious damage - holes cut in the panels by the buyer's saddle fitter when they apparently tried to "make it work" before trying to return it. OP made a stink about it being damaged and now less valuable then when it was sent to buyer, which is why OP was eventually credited the purchase price AND got to keep the saddle (which she then donated, and used the $ to buy a new one, IIRC).
    What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what
    lies with in us. - Emerson

Quote Originally Posted by Heinz 57 View Post
    As I recall, it wasn't a clerical error. It was that the OP received the saddle back with serious damage - holes cut in the panels by the buyer's saddle fitter when they apparently tried to "make it work" before trying to return it. OP made a stink about it being damaged and now less valuable then when it was sent to buyer, which is why OP was eventually credited the purchase price AND got to keep the saddle (which she then donated, and used the $ to buy a new one, IIRC).
    There was some clerical error element to it... like eBay decided the dispute without allowing her to fully respond or something of that nature. There was some process related snafu admitted to by eBay. It wasn't as straightforward as eBay acknowledging, ultimately, that the seller was right and the buyer was wrong.
    ~Veronica

Care to tell who they are by username? I am betting there is someone on here who can get results..."special everybodys" don't seem to hold up well against the wrath here once it gets moving.
    Happy to... the "honest horseman" 4H leader that apparently has no qualms about screwing over someone raising money to pay for their horse's surgery is username "thelillyzoo1995." Doesn't look like eBay has banned her account for unpaid items strikes... she's still an active user...

http://feedback.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAP...ab=AllFeedback

Only looky look... back in the days when sellers COULD leave negative feedback, she was bidding on items, winning, and not paying....

http://toolhaus.org/cgi-bin/negs?Use...rn=Received+by

http://toolhaus.org/cgi-bin/negs?Use...rn=Received+by

So she's been doing this bid, win, no pay, no communication deal since 2002 on TWO DIFFERENT USERNAMES and eBay's done nothing to terminate her account. Nice.

The powerseller who knows how to take listings down before sending out incorrect merchandise is "axsecure51z1." Doesn't look like eBay has done a thing to him... he's still got plenty of electronics etc. listed...

http://www.ebay.com/sch/axsecure51z1..._sop=12&_rdc=1
    ~Veronica