The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Exclamation Always Consign w/a Tack Shop - UPDATE PG 4

or Why I will NEVER sell a saddle on eBay again...

We just sold a saddle via eBay, detailed description, photos, etc. The saddle had been examined by various trainers, staff, and potential customers at the trainer's barn prior to my listing it on eBay (the only reason it wasn't purchased by a kid at the barn is b/c the seat size was too large). We KNOW the condition of the saddle prior to it being shipped to the buyer. The auction was no returns or exchanges, buyer never asked for a trial, etc. Buyer sends me a message to say the saddle didn't fit the horse so saddle is being returned. I remind buyer, no returns or exchanges as listed in auction. Next thing I know a case with eBay has been opened against me claiming that the saddle is damaged. This continues as a back & forth and it doesn't matter what I point out to the buyer...she is determined to get her money back and claims she can prove the damage. As I no longer have the saddle but know the condition it was shipped in, I'm worried she's actually doing the damage at this point in some attempt to "prove" the saddle is damaged. Despite the fact that I've got photos, etc. to prove the saddle's condition. Anyway....

This would all be no biggie except that I'm headed out to the bush and will be completely inaccessible when the case is "heard" by the powers that be at eBay. After speaking with them I feel confident that the issue will receive high scrutiny but I hate not being accessible to those powers at the right time(s). They cannot change the date(s) in their conflict resolution process.

All that said....oh that this was the worst problem anyone ever had to deal with...truly, people are starving, suffering from cancer, etc. while this is going on...if I could go back and do it over, I would consign the saddle with a tack shop. I thought eBay would be a way to get the saddle into a larger market and free up the saddle rack space we really needed with a lower fee compared to what a tack shop would charge us. Well...NEVER AGAIN. So here's a shout out to the tack shop owners who deal with consignment saddles - and all the customer service stuff that goes along with it.

I've always had really good experiences on eBay until now but this one episode has been enough to convince me that I won't ever sell my tack on there again.
    Last edited by Finzean; Aug. 6, 2013 at 09:36 AM. Reason: updated info

3 members found this post helpful.

LOL

And I consigned my saddles with a consignment tack business and had my own battles there! He wouldn't return my calls about where the saddles were, had to "check his books", etc for a very, very long time. So I had my out of town father call to ask him to check his inventory for a particular saddle (he is a trainer as well, so he doesn't have set store hours anymore) and since I knew he was in, knocked on the door.

Just got money for one saddle and I'm giving him the benefit of the doubt that I'll get the rest tonight...Since he knows I have no trouble finding him when needed!

1 members found this post helpful.

I tried a used saddle that Rick's Heritage Saddlery had, in NJ, I think.
    Saddle didn't fit, sent it back, got my money back right away.

Will buy another, or put one on consignment thru them any time.
    They did what they said they were going to do, promptly and without drama.

Hope you get resolution in your favor on your ebay case.

I have sold a bunch of saddles through Ebay and only ever had one real problem, and that was on a local pickup, so I've had to get pretty strict about local pickups. I wouldn't consign with any of the shops around here because it would likely sit for months unless I gouged the price, and people have had bad experiences with consigning with at least one of them.
    Last edited by RubyTuesday; Jul. 26, 2013 at 11:23 AM.

I have had more problems with eBay in the last 2-3 months than in the past 10 YEARS.

All of a sudden, half the bidders win and don't pay. Of course you can't leave negative feedback for a buyer, so I have no way of warning future sellers about these deadbeats. These are horse people screwing other horse people! All of my current listings explain exactly why I am selling these items-- to pay a HEFTY VET BILL FROM MY HEART HORSE WHO HAD TO GO TO NEW BOLTON FOR SURGERY. I mean, who screws over a fellow horse person under those circumstances!?

The irony, my latest deadbeat bidder/non-buyer describes herself on pinterest as "an honest and hard working farm girl...avid equestrian and competitor for over 30 years...loves life and true friends along with amazing horses and critters...Peace, Love and Horses"

Yeah, really HONEST. Bid, win, and then back out of a contract without the courtesy to even RESPOND to messages. This person appears to be in charge of a 4H group. Great leader for future horsemen, right?

I never used to have these problems. Never. But lately I can count on at least 2-3 problems anytime I sell a batch of stuff. Between the high eBay fees, the fact that sellers cannot indicate these bad buyers so others can beware, and my frustration-- I think I am just done. It turned me off buying too, I'm just tired of the dishonestly in general over there.
    ~Veronica
    "The Son Dee Times" "Sustained" "Somerset" "Franklin Square"
    http://photobucket.com/albums/y192/vxf111/

6 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by vxf111 View Post
    I have had more problems with eBay in the last 2-3 months than in the past 10 YEARS.

All of a sudden, half the bidders win and don't pay. Of course you can't leave negative feedback for a buyer, so I have no way of warning future sellers about these deadbeats. These are horse people screwing other horse people! All of my current listings explain exactly why I am selling these items-- to pay a HEFTY VET BILL FROM MY HEART HORSE WHO HAD TO GO TO NEW BOLTON FOR SURGERY. I mean, who screws over a fellow horse person under those circumstances!?

The irony, my latest deadbeat bidder/non-buyer describes herself on pinterest as "an honest and hard working farm girl...avid equestrian and competitor for over 30 years...loves life and true friends along with amazing horses and critters...Peace, Love and Horses"

Yeah, really HONEST. Bid, win, and then back out of a contract without the courtesy to even RESPOND to messages. This person appears to be in charge of a 4H group. Great leader for future horsemen, right?

I never used to have these problems. Never. But lately I can count on at least 2-3 problems anytime I sell a batch of stuff. Between the high eBay fees, the fact that sellers cannot indicate these bad buyers so others can beware, and my frustration-- I think I am just done. It turned me off buying too, I'm just tired of the dishonestly in general over there.
    This is also true. I recently had a nonpaying bidder who claims to run a horse rescue on her voice mail, guess she never thought I would actually CALL her looking for my money! Nice, huh? I had to rerun the listing, and thankfully the next bidder actually bought the saddle, but yes, I have noticed a change in buying activity the past few months because that is when I have recently had some saddles to sell. I'd still sell there but don't know if I'll go out of my way to do it because the market seems like it has gotten very soft. Still, I'd do that before consigning at any of these tack shops.

I wouldn't worry...people will vote with their browsers and maybe it will go back to the way it used to be before they got all "it's ALL about the buyer!" No, you need sellers as well for the buyers to buy from.

OP, perhaps you can get a friend to act on your behalf in this ebay matter while you're offline? You could set up a rule in your email server to forward any ebay emails to the friend.

Don't the various fees now add up to a percentage that's pretty close to what you'd lose if you consigned the saddle?
    The armchair saddler
    Politically Pro-Cat

Quote Originally Posted by mvp View Post
    Don't the various fees now add up to a percentage that's pretty close to what you'd lose if you consigned the saddle?
    No, not when tack shops charge 33%, and then you not only have to wait an undetermined period of time for someone to buy, but they also have a trial policy in place. None of that works if you want a saddle sold in 7-10 days.

eBay is quicker and the fees are a bit less. Not tons and tons and tons less, but less. Used to be that eBay got you a bigger national/internation audience but I'm not sure how much that's a benefit anymore if the audience is shrinking and the ones that are left are welchers and scam artists
    ~Veronica
    "The Son Dee Times" "Sustained" "Somerset" "Franklin Square"
    http://photobucket.com/albums/y192/vxf111/

4 members found this post helpful.

I've bought and sold saddles in eBay for years and always had good experiences but eBay has changed considerably in the past year and I no longer feel comfortable selling high dollar items. All the power is with the buyer and even if you don't offer returns, they can claim it was damaged or mis-represented.

Unless eBay makes some changes, I'll either sell direct or go through a good consignment shop.
    Equine Ink - My soapbox for equestrian writings & reviews.
    EquestrianHow2 - Operating instructions for your horse.

Quote Originally Posted by mvp View Post
    Yes, when eBay and Paypal fees add up to 10 to 15%, it gets close to consignment (lowest consignment for saddles I've found is 18% with iselltack.com, and others are 20%). And folks shopping on eBay are usually looking for a deal, so prices aren't that good for saddles, IME.

I won't sell saddles on eBay (due to issues such as what the OP is deling with), but do sell other smaller items and haven't had too many bad experiences. Yet...

Quote Originally Posted by horsepoor View Post
    Yes, when eBay and Paypal fees add up to 10 to 15%, it gets close to consignment (lowest consignment for saddles I've found is 18% with iselltack.com, and others are 20%). And folks shopping on eBay are usually looking for a deal, so prices aren't that good for saddles, IME.

I won't sell saddles on eBay (due to issues such as what the OP is deling with), but do sell other smaller items and haven't had too many bad experiences. Yet...
    The fees are getting higher and higher. The last saddle I listed on ebay didn't sell, but one of the bidders begged me to let her take it on trial. I finally agreed, but it didn't fit her, and things got close to ugly when I refunded her through paypal. Some people don't realize that paypal charges a fee when you exchange money and don't actually have that money in your paypal account (meaning it's transferred from your bank acct., or cc). With shipping it cost her almost $100 to try my saddle. I now have the saddle on consignment. It's worth the 20% to let them deal with the headaches.
    "Everyone will start to cheer, when you put on your sailin shoes"-Lowell George

What's the status on Tuco?

...are ANY saddles selling these days - sigh. Girls have left home, too many saddles for just little ole me....
    Proud member of People Who Hate to Kill Wildlife clique

eBay has gotten worse and worse for sellers. You aren't the first person I've heard of with this exact same issue involving a saddle. I also have a friend who sold an iPhone on eBay recently and was forced to issue a refund (automatically deducted from his Paypal by eBay) after buyer claimed it never arrived. I hope you win your case, but honestly they seem to always side with the buyers no matter how outrageous the claim. Between this crap, the ever increasing fees, the new feedback rules of a few years ago, and more, most of the good sellers have left eBay and what remains is largely stores selling fixed price items. The beloved eBay of the late 90s and early 00s, where you could get a great deal on almost anything under the sun, is long gone.

6 members found this post helpful.

Well at least I'm not going crazy - I spoke to eBay this morning on the phone - that took some detective work. I used to sell stuff all the time with no probs but this one incident has been enough for me.

I do have a friend who is going to act on my behalf while I'm OOTC but really it just shouldn't even come to that as this situation is pretty cut and dry. I've got photographic evidence and signed affidavits that show I didn't send a damaged saddle

t I found the buyer on FB. She's associated with another horse person whom it seems is being referred to as the trainer...except that person is also easily found and is not a trainer. The situation just smacks of rude and tacky and it always blows my mind that anyone in the horse world thinks their questionable behaviors fly under the radar in this day and age of technology. This person may even use the Forums for all j know and is reading this right now. If so - sheesh do the right thing - admit your mistake in not reading the terms of the auction and quit lying about the saddle.

I'm so sorry this happened to you. I still use ebay, and my positive experiences have outweighed the negative, but you have to view anything sold there as returnable. Even if you say "no returns" it doesn't work like that. Selling $ items is risky for this reason.

Ebay doesn't have the hours/expertise to evaluate every buyer's claim that an item was misrepresented. So if a buyer wants to return something (it doesn't fit, they found a better deal, whatever), all they need to do is file a "significantly not as described" claim and ebay will force the return.

It's probably the best policy available for the variety of stuff that can be sold (much better than a buyer getting stuck with a damaged/fake item b/c ebay staff didn't know better and forced them to keep it). But it still sucks for sellers

In your situation, I would probably just take the return, lest the buyer actually damage your saddle as a means of proving that it is damaged. (Hopefully she hasn't done this yet). Ebay always finds for the buyer in these claims so it's more important to get your saddle back safely than to mount a case.

Really sorry and hope you get it back in good shape.

ETA: If it comes back damaged you might be able to get ebay to eat the value of it, they have done that for me--they are more likely to do that than to force her to keep it

2 members found this post helpful.

I consigned with a tack shop once - Long story short - they had a THIEF for an employee, and STOLE MY SADDLE!

Months past - I would call and ask about the saddle, "oh its out on trial!", "oh they aren't buying it, but bringing back - its not here yet, you can't pick it up today" "oh its on trial again!" .... then that turned into "what saddle", "Oh, I see that slip you have, but we have no record of that" "We don't remember seeing your saddle".

And I was a broke college student, and it was a nice saddle, which I had scrimped and saved to buy - and then was out a saddle and the money.

The tack shop ended up going under - and later I found out that they had employed a known TACK THIEF - someone posted the links to the County's official indictments / arrests right here on COTH.

I don't do ebay either - tack sales, or direct sales is the only way I sell tack now. No online stuff - no shipping it off. Come meet me and hand off saddle for CASH.

Edited to add - and I have been SKREWED as a seller on EBAY. NEVER EVER AGAIN will I sell on EBAY.
    Last edited by Appsolute; Jul. 26, 2013 at 05:15 PM.

2 members found this post helpful.

I used to have great experiences with Ebay, but no longer. Buyers back out because they find a better deal. I had one woman tell me that Ebay said that was OK. I am staying away from Ebay for now. All the power is with the buyers.

I have purchased several on ebay with no problems, but I have always sold on Craigs List. I have never had a problem with those sales - cash only and one I wrote up a contract that we both signed covering the conditions for a return if necessary.