The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Would you tell a friend if a trainer may have financial issues?

A friend's daughter just started taking lessons from Trainer A. Friend is totally non horsey and a little naïve. The daughter is also working at the barn a few days a week (brushing, tacking, etc.). The friend has asked me repeatedly if I know anything about this trainer. She is in a discipline that I used to ride YEARS ago but that I don't have many contacts in anymore. I do know another trainer that Trainer A works with that I know has good 'ethics'. I was recently told by another horse professional (not a trainer but someone very active in the horse community) that Trainer A is having some $$ issues. I was told Trainer A actually left a previous barn owing a considerable sum to the barn owner.

Should I say anything? It is just a rumor as far as I am concerned and I don't get into spreading rumors but my friend has made some comments that worry me. The trainer has told her that the daughter should be showing and implied she could win a lot. The daughter has only ridden maybe 4 times and I watch a video and while she is doing well she is not a 'natural' rider.

In referring to my friend as naïve I mean that when she asked me about showing I gave her a link to a horse show prize list for a nearby show and her comment was "Well the trainer pays all of those expenses though, right?" I immediately explained that no, the rider pays plus shipping, training, etc.

Any suggestions?

No.

If your friend won't get hurt by the trainer's financial stuff, it's none of her business.

Also, the kind of naivete that has a newbie client think trainer pays show bills as opposed to the client doesn't mean she's such a sitting duck that she needs protection.

MYOB.
    The armchair saddler
    Politically Pro-Cat

7 members found this post helpful.

Nope.

I would let the daughter enjoy her lessons.
    "Drawing on my fine command of the English language, I said nothing" - Robert Benchley
    Cotton would fight.
    http://buildingthegrove.blogspot.com/

2 members found this post helpful.

No.
    "We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." ~Immanuel Kant

Yeah, all you've got is hearsay and a rumor of financial trouble doesn't necessarily affect the trainer's ability to train. If trainer starts asking your friend for ridiculous amounts of money, then you might want to kindly suggest to your friend that they're ridiculous amounts of money (but I still don't know if I'd pass on gossip unless it was concretely determined that that was actually the situation under which trainer left the other barn).

As far as the "showing and win a lot"...did you hear her say it that way? Did she just tell your friend that the girl is doing well and when she's got more riding under her belt might be able to go to local shows and do well there too and your friend interpreted that as being a bigger deal than trainer intended? Either way, I think sometimes people feel like they have to say things like that to parents because suggesting that their kid isn't that good is both A) shitty (unless it's unsafe and then you find a diplomatic way to say so) or B) likely to just get the parent offended.

As far as the prizelist goes...for a person new to the horse scene...it doesn't sound that far off to wonder if paying the trainer for lessons and whatnot extends to covering show expenses. Even seeing a prizelist, she probably doesn't/didn't realize how much else goes into it. My parents certainly didn't when I was a kid and wanted to get more involved in horses than just having a weekly lesson.

So basically, just kindly explain about shows, kindly suggest your daughter ought to ride for a while before showing becomes a serious topic for conversation.

And unless you see the trainer actually doing something seriously shady, let the girl have her lessons.
    The Trials and Jubilations of a Twenty-Something Re-rider
    Happy owner of Kieran the mostly-white-very-large-not-pony.

Re the trainer's financials, as the description begins "I was told..." from a source not that trainer, no, you shouldn't, as you have no real idea whether it's true or not and in any case, it doesn't really relate to her ability or lack thereof to train.

Thanks for the opinions. That was pretty much my plan - not say anything but make myself available for any questions friend has in case a weird deal comes up.

I hate gossip so this whole situation has me uneasy. I really am in the mode "NONE OF MY BUSINESS" about the whole financial thing which is what I told the person that gave me the information.

I would say no. I have a good friend Jane who has been in horses for years around here. Seems 10 or 20 years ago Trainer Laquisha went through a rough spot and didn't pay a vet bill on time and also was possibly evicted from a barn for money reasons. I have braided for trainer Laquisha for some years now and that barn, trainer and clients, are the most on time paying folks you will ever meet. Almost unheard of how fast they pay! I was at a dinner get together last night and Jane was there, of course she had to "warn" me about Trainer Laquisha's fiscal irresponsibility and told me to "make sure I get paid!" like she does every time the poor woman's name comes up *huge ass eyeroll*
    The Knotted Pony

Proud and upstanding member of the Snort and Blow Clique.

I would simply remind friend that this is a business for trainers, and that showing is another way they make money. That there will be costs for the shows, plus a markup or additional fee for the trainer's time.

It's possible that the trainer is getting her/his lesson program together. Every student is a step closer to financial stability.

Unless they get into a position where trainer would be paying them or owing them I would MYOB. The friend and daughter aren't at financial risk if they are paying trainer as they go for lessons and eventually shows (unless you learn trainer is really trying to gouge them on pricing, in which case I would suggest to them that they check into what they are paying and why.) If daughter is working for trainer in exchange for money, I might suggest that they ensure she is paid at appropriate periods (weekly or biweekly) and deposit checks promptly or be paid in cash, without incriminating trainer in the process. Those are good suggestions for anyone working similar jobs anyway. It can be easy for someone paying cash to say they forgot to run to the bank this week and get into arrears. If daughter is working in exchange for lessons, she should be trading her time in frequently enough that she doesn't build up a huge lesson backlog which could be forfeited if trainer's business fails.

1 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by furlong47 View Post
    Unless they get into a position where trainer would be paying them or owing them I would MYOB. The friend and daughter aren't at financial risk if they are paying trainer as they go for lessons and eventually shows (unless you learn trainer is really trying to gouge them on pricing, in which case I would suggest to them that they check into what they are paying and why.) If daughter is working for trainer in exchange for money, I might suggest that they ensure she is paid at appropriate periods (weekly or biweekly) and deposit checks promptly or be paid in cash, without incriminating trainer in the process. Those are good suggestions for anyone working similar jobs anyway. It can be easy for someone paying cash to say they forgot to run to the bank this week and get into arrears. If daughter is working in exchange for lessons, she should be trading her time in frequently enough that she doesn't build up a huge lesson backlog which could be forfeited if trainer's business fails.
    This.

Aren't all trainers kinda broke? Or crooked if not?
    Proud member of People Who Hate to Kill Wildlife clique

If it was one of my very close friends, yes. Anyone else, no.

Quote Originally Posted by Foxtrot's View Post
    Aren't all trainers kinda broke? Or crooked if not?
    You beat me to it.

Stay out of it. Nothing good can come of spreading that kind of gossip.

I would shun the person who started the rumor.

How would she know the other trainers business and what does she know about your finances?
    The Denver Broncos went to visit an orphanage. "It's so sad looking into their faces so devoid of hope." Sara aged 6

Until the trainer's financial issues have some or any affect on your friend's daughter riding, it is really none of your (OP) or friend's business. As a friend, the OP might want to teach the friend the ways[read: expenses] of showing and competing so friend has some idea of what their costs might be- as expenses can vary from one barn to another. OP might also tell friend to keep the showing schedule simple at first by going to unrated schooling shows.