The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default I can't sell my saddle! HELP!

I've tried to sell my saddle for a while now and no luck. It's frustrating because I found a saddle that I LOVE but I can't buy it until I sell this one. Any suggestions?

What kind of saddle is it, what size, how old, what condition, what are you asking for it, and where have you tried to sell it?

I am in the same boat so I can't wait to see what people post!

Quote Originally Posted by danceronice View Post
    What kind of saddle is it, what size, how old, what condition, what are you asking for it, and where have you tried to sell it?
    Answering that would pretty much fulfill the requirements for this being an ad...
    We don't have to agree on anything to be kind to one another
    EHJ | FB | #140 | watch | #insta

3 members found this post helpful.

If you are okay with getting a little less for it, send it to a site like highendusedsaddles or iselltack. They move saddles fast and at pretty good prices despite the 25-35% commission.

I took me over two years to sell my old Collegiate saddle. The market is horrible for selling unfortunately.

I know how you feel. I bought a new to me Antares thinking my County would sell in a hot minute at it's price point. It's still waiting on consignment, going on a few months now. I borrowed money from a family member and now feel bad at how long it's taken. My other saddle took forever to sell (well it was a Crosby so I get it but it was barely ridden in, darn it!). I finally let it go for super cheap at a garage sale we had. A Caballero in Mexico is riding in a brand new Crosby PDN

1 members found this post helpful.

Likewise.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kimchi View Post
    I am in the same boat so I can't wait to see what people post!

I had a lovely county stabilizer that I just couldn't sell on my own. I took it to Rick's Saddlery in West Chester and they got it sold. I got store credit for it so they didn't charge a commission. Worked out well, got a nice pair of custom boots and some other stuff.

It may not be worth what you think it's worth. I quickly sold a Barnsby Cirrus just by lended it out to a few hunt club members, but the price was very appealing.

2 members found this post helpful.

It is going to depend on the saddle. High end saddles are worth contacting rachel@iselltack.com or Nicole at Maryland Tack Exchange or Cori @ High-End Used Saddles. They have the ability to get it sold and deal with tire kickers. It's worth paying the commission.

If it is a nice lower end saddle then a local consignment shop would be a good option.

Selling a used saddle is a PIA. Unless that is what you do for a "living", even if it is just to pay for your horse habit

Have recently been on that long saddle search. The information I wanted includes only basics but its amazing the details that sellers DO NOT include.
    - Brand, Make, Model (Brand isn't enough, they each make lots of models)
    - Year or age and preferably serial number
    - Wool or foam
    - Specific type; CC or AP or Drsg, etc.
    - Seat size (both stamped size and actual size) Iselltack is awesome at all this information and those types of details
    - tree size (this is hard info to drag out of sellers) as "medium" isn't enough as its too general of a statement, pls tell me gullet width or dot-to-dot
    - twist
    - flap (regular, forward, length from top of stirrup bar and width from knee to back or widest across)
    - blocking (front high, front knee, back, etc.?)
    - condition, damage, scratches, etc.
    - oh and you should save buyers verifying and say the tree is guaranteed sound
    - quality photos (but not large files) I've had a dozen large files sent in 1 reply that shut down my computer

PS - I'm always browsing for a Barnsby 17.5"CC wide #4, wool (Schockemohle, Milton maybe other CC models) regular CC flap.

Best of luck selling your saddles, but us buyers would appreciate the detailed information so that we are interested buyers when we msg you.

iselltack.com can sell it for you
    "People who think their brains are not worth protecting are probably right!"
    - quoted by Martha Drum

Any luck on eBay?

I have gotten more saddles sold via Craigslist than eBay.

Quote Originally Posted by dags View Post
    Answering that would pretty much fulfill the requirements for this being an ad...
    Only if they told us where they are. But it's impossible to answer the question without that information o without it, it's pointless.

My GUESS is the only answer is "Slash the price by at least half." It's like any other used item, it's worthless once it leaves the 'dealer lot.' But if it's a rare brand or in super condition, maybe a little more. If it's an odd size or old or an unpopular brand, it might be worth whatever someone will give no matter how low. You can't answer a question about selling something without knowing details.

Quote Originally Posted by danceronice View Post
    Only if they told us where they are. But it's impossible to answer the question without that information o without it, it's pointless.
    I don't think so. Someone can easily PM the OP using COTH and get the transaction going. Already, some people here in the biz are offering their services. That "offering what someone has already asked for" is a form of advertising allowed here on COTH. But a planted query that advertises a product isn't OK.
    The armchair saddler
    Politically Pro-Cat