The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Preparing 1.5 month old for inspection?

My filly will go to inspection on Aug 5th at 1.5 months old She lives "feral" out in a field. She is being taught to lead now so that should be good to go by then.

What else do I need to do? I assume she will need to be bathed - how the heck do i teach her to get bathed when she is a pasture pony and there is just me?

would a sponge bath work?

also, i need to get her mom bathed - we have access to a barn, but the wash stall isnt big enough for baby and mom. mom is very protective. I was thinking of putting filly in stall across hall and bathe mom .... does this sound doable?

There is a big wash stall but it is by the stallion barn far from their field... so i dont really want to go there.

i guess i am looking for suggestions and then of course stories of how y'all took your pasture babies and made them presentable for inspection !

(gnaws nails to the quick)
    Last edited by mbm; Jul. 25, 2013 at 07:30 PM.

A sponge bath won't cut it for most horses but you know how dirty they are better than us. I can't imagine a wash stall so small that they won't both fit in it. My foals get their first few baths by proxy as they get sprayed by standing close to their dam when she is getting a bath. After doing that a few times I start spraying the foal directly. If it truly is too small for both of them then you need to get someone to hold the foal right in front of the mare then swap.

Honestly? I would hire somebody for the weekend to help you out. The day before to help bath wrangle and then the day of to help at the inspection. It'll be money well spent to have an extra set of hands.

Quote Originally Posted by Laurierace View Post
    A sponge bath won't cut it for most horses but you know how dirty they are better than us. I can't imagine a wash stall so small that they won't both fit in it. My foals get their first few baths by proxy as they get sprayed by standing close to their dam when she is getting a bath. After doing that a few times I start spraying the foal directly. If it truly is too small for both of them then you need to get someone to hold the foal right in front of the mare then swap.
    I agree with this. And don't forget most also braid their foals for the inspections too. So she will need to stand for a few quick button braids.
    Worth A Shot Farm
    Finding the horse of your dreams, is always Worth A Shot!
    Visit our Website
    Join us on Facebook
    Watch us on Youtube

I don't know where your inspection is, but you may be able to bath mom after you get there. We did that one year, and babe stood next to the wash rack. To be honest, I have never worried much about bathing babies, especially since mine are never white. A good grooming, braiding, and Show Sheen have worked for me, with touch ups as needed.
    Mystic Owl Sporthorses
    www.mysticowlsporthorses.com

3 members found this post helpful.

yeah, my plan is to have someone hold foal in from of mom for moms bath. the wash stall in narrow.... maybe half size.... (no i dont know why) ..... my filly is basically dirt color so you really cant see how dirty she is until you pat her !!! lol!

i will hire my brother in law who is a professional groom to groom /braid them. it's the bath i am worrying about.

eta: day before inspection/inspection day i will have help - its the trying to teach filly to be bathed i am worrying about.

if i only need to show sheen /braid her that is easy!

inspection is at Jazz Creek - literally a mile from where we are so that is a relief!

I wouldn't worry too much about the bath either. I think you can spot clean, then curry the heck out of them, soft brush, towel, show sheen, etc. Their coats all look great this time of year anyway, you should be able to bring out the sheen. And yes, have at least one helper, more if you can wrangle them!! There's never too many people for this type of situation...

ok, great thanksyou all for sharing your wisdom... i am much relieved that i don't have to bathe filly. I will most likely give mom a bath as you can tell how dirty she is! and she does have a fantastic coat so i want to show that off as much as possible (she is being inspected too)

I do want to make a half way decent impression as the inspectors/GOV staff know filly's sire and I want to make a good impression as Luna is his first born and I know folks will be interested in her!