The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Island of Heart Surrounded by the Sea of Intuition

Default Help a Newbie with Saddle shopping!

My History: Just started riding about 5 years ago at the age of 30. I bought my 1st horse (13 yr old 16h OTTB) a yr after riding and bought a saddle that i liked that fit my horse well (Philippe Fontaine “The Danielle) Med tree, 17 seat size and spec say it is a narrow twist.

Sold that horse and now have 8 yr old 15.3 hand Connemara X
    she is a little more broad than the Tb an although trainer and others feel the saddle fits her well I think she doesn't have enough room through her shoulders.

I plan on having her and me both fit for our next saddle. I would prefer not to spend more than $2000 for my next saddle. After reading through post and article after article about twist, seat size, foward flaps, etc I am thouroughly confused!! I don't even know where to begin.

So where do I start on this saddle fitting journey? Any suggestions on saddle fitters in NC? What should I already know before the saddle fitter comes out. How can I try multiple types of saddles if I don't have access to horse people with multiple saddles ( my trainer and 2 other barn mates all have my same saddle) BO has a Bates I guess I could try.

Any suggestions to get me started are appreciated! If it helps I am 5'2 and 120lbs. I do hunters and currently am showing at 2ft and jumping 2'3 -2'6 at home.
    The Love for a Horse is just as Complicated as the Love for another Human being, If you have never Loved a Horse you will Never Understand!!!

http://mysaddle.com/JumpingSaddles.html

Check to see if they have a fitter in your area. They may have some used ones you could try out.
    Dawn

Patience and Consistency are Your Friends