The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Exclamation Craigslist OMG of the Day

It's a small world -- unless you gotta walk home.

And the vets say it is okay to ride him? Sounds like the owner is smarter than the vet and haven't ridden him.
    Oh, well, clearly you're not thoroughly indoctrinated to COTH yet, because finger pointing and drawing conclusions are the cornerstones of this great online community. (Tidy Rabbit)

3 members found this post helpful.

What the . . . ??? The vet says it's okay to ride this poor thing? How the hell . .. I think I need to bang my head against my desk a few times.

Maybe you can ride him with a dromedary saddle:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	images.jpeg 
Views:	24 
Size:	6.0 KB 
ID:	38520  

Quote Originally Posted by Bluey View Post
    Maybe you can ride him with a dromedary saddle:

At least they gelded him....
    Quote Originally Posted by BigMama1 View Post
    Facts don't have versions. If they do, they are opinions
    GNU Terry Prachett

5 members found this post helpful.

Hoping somebody here knows a good rescue in MO that might have room for him.
    Equus Keepus Brokus

He looks like he's in good weight, at least and great news that they aren't riding him. I would bet he's a hard catch, based on that halter/catch rope set up. His back is wicked unsettling, but I don't think that he's in dire straights.
    Last edited by Superminion; Jul. 25, 2013 at 12:54 PM. Reason: spelling

The owner sounds decent, and knows how to use capital letters and punctuation.

"Pat the horse; kick yourself" - Carl Hester

6 members found this post helpful.

Yes, at least he hasn't been starved, and the owners use correct punctuation and grammar. But, the fact that he's listed on Craigslist as a giveaway with the statement that the "vet" says he's "okay" to ride puts him in dire straits (in my opinion).
    Equus Keepus Brokus

2 members found this post helpful.

If this were my horse and I could not keep him any longer, my first action would be to call the vet and the backhoe guy - not log into craigslist.

19 members found this post helpful.

I do hope that this horse finds a soft landing place. I would like to remind everyone who judges by punctuation and grammar that on another thread there was a wonderful person was the catalyst and moving force for rescuing a pony in terrible condition, with hooves that looked like bighorn sheep horns. And he did not have good punctuation or spelling in his posts. Just sayin'
    Last edited by Hinderella; Jul. 25, 2013 at 11:52 AM. Reason: punctuation & grammar :)

7 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by SonnysMom View Post
    And the vets say it is okay to ride him? Sounds like the owner is smarter than the vet and haven't ridden him.
    I'm sayin'! WHAT VET would POSSIBLY say that horse could be ridden??? How could you fit a saddle on that, and who would want to sit bareback on it?

Maybe he could be broke to a cart, but one wonders what his movement is like...anyone need a carriage Appaloosa?

2 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Alex and Bodie's Mom View Post
    What the . . . ??? The vet says it's okay to ride this poor thing? How the hell . .. I think I need to bang my head against my desk a few times.
    No, bang the head of the vet against the desk...sounds like you have some sense, he/she needs some.

Quote Originally Posted by RubyTuesday View Post
    No, bang the head of the vet against the desk...sounds like you have some sense, he/she needs some.
    Maybe the seller is fudging a bit what the vet really said, leaving the rest of the vet's comment out?

1 members found this post helpful.

You know what he might be just perfect for? A "therapy horse" in a ground-training program (there are many) that teach emotionally-disturbed or developmentally-disabled kids empathy and and confidence by handling horses. He'd have a good home with tons of attention, riding him wouldn't be an issue, and the patients might strongly identify with an animal who is "different."

At 3 he has a long life ahead of him; I hope someone who can think outside the box steps up to the plate!

23 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Lady Eboshi View Post
    You know what he might be just perfect for? A "therapy horse" in a ground-training program (there are many) that teach emotionally-disturbed or developmentally-disabled kids empathy and and confidence by handling horses. He'd have a good home with tons of attention, riding him wouldn't be an issue, and the patients might strongly identify with an animal who is "different."

At 3 he has a long life ahead of him; I hope someone who can think outside the box steps up to the plate!
    That would be a good idea, about the only other one I can see. Let us hope he can somehow get connected with that.

I have NEVER seen a back like that. Poor guy.

I agree, putting a horse like this on CL as a giveaway puts him at great risk. Looks like the owners are taking decent care of him now... but his prospects appear to be poor.

Quote Originally Posted by Lady Eboshi View Post

That is such a good idea that I Googled therapeutic riding centers and found one not far from this horse. I suggested they might want to consider this guy for teaching groundwork and grooming skills. I will update if/when I hear back from them.

Thanks for that suggestion!
    Equus Keepus Brokus

10 members found this post helpful.

Keep in mind - this guy has a catch rope on him, and is quite young. He will most likely need a lot of training before becoming a "therapy horse" - and not every horse is suited to that job. They have to be quiet and unflappable.

Maybe he is all of that... but I have worked with a therapeutic riding center - not every horse makes the cut, actually most do not pass their screening (the horse must be as safe as possible for their disabled clients to interact with).

But, maybe there is a group that can take him, train him, and use him for that purpose. It certainly would be a fairy-tale ending.

Quote Originally Posted by Appsolute View Post
    Keep in mind - this guy has a catch rope on him, and is quite young. He will most likely need a lot of training before becoming a "therapy horse" - and not every horse is suited to that job. They have to be quiet and unflappable.

Maybe he is all of that... but I have worked with a therapeutic riding center - not every horse makes the cut, actually most do not pass their screening (the horse must be as safe as possible for their disabled clients to interact with).

But, maybe there is a group that can take him, train him, and use him for that purpose. It certainly would be a fairy-tale ending.
    This is very true, and therapy places were getting horses and tack dumped on them in spades BEFORE the bottom fell out of the market.