The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Bloody birds

OK, I admit to disliking the barn sparrows because they make such a mess in the barn but overall I actually really like most birds. Even crows because in spite of their rather obnoxious voice, they are scavengers and clean up the roadkill if nothing else.

But what bloody bird is singing at 2:30 AM!

The other evening it was lovely and cool and I turned off the AC and opened the windows after a 6 day long heat wave. I love the cool air blowing in.

I'm a pretty light sleeper and am used to the birds waking me up about 4:30 AM when they start chattering. Usually I get up and shut the windows and go back to sleep for about another hour until the sun starts to poke it's head over the horizon.

But, come on birds, 2:30 bloody AM!!!

At first I thought I had been dreaming but as I listened some bird was courting his girlfriend or something. Fortunately the room was cool and comfortable so I got up, shut the windows and did go back to sleep. But come on birds, please NOT THAT EARLY!!!!

OK bird rant over and I feel better.
    Sue
    Back in my day, we didn't have as many warning labels because people weren't so dang stupid!

Mockingbirds are pretty notorious for singing late at night and driving people trying to sleep crazy. They also tend to get the whole bird neighborhood in trouble because they sing other birds' songs.

They are also great at making ambient sounds of the neighborhood- like backing up work trucks and car alarms.

PS- Sparrows are an invasive non-native species who do a lot of harm to native birds with their agressive nesting habits- so if you do love other birds, and the sparrows are bugging you- you would be killing two birds with one stone to trap and kill them. This is legal because sparrows and starlings are non-native.

This website will tell you all you need to know about why and how to do it:
    http://www.sialis.org/hosp.htm

1 members found this post helpful.

I feel your pain. We had one nesting in the tree right outside my bedroom window when when we lived in Baltimore. Every time a car drove by, that damn bird would start chirping. They sing other birds songs...but always in random pattern. I think if there had been a discernible pattern, it wouldn't have bothered me as much.

In any case, we had a terrible ice storm one year and lost the tree. Damn bird left and never came back.

We have them here too...but either the house is better insulated or there's just not as much to set them off in the middle of the night.
    "We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." ~Immanuel Kant

Definitely a Mockingbird. When we lived in an apartment in Chapel Hill there was one that sang at all hours, and he loved to imitate a car alarm....

I've heard Yellow-Breasted Chats singing in the wee hours as well, but they frequent much wilder places than Mockingbirds and aren't nearly as strident.

1 members found this post helpful.

Birds singing, what birds?
    Some times, it is good to be hard of hearing.

We do have barn owls and those sometimes hoot in the night.

OK, I admit to disliking the barn sparrows because they make such a mess in the barn but overall I actually really like most birds.

S- Sparrows are an invasive non-native species who do a lot of harm to native birds with their agressive nesting habits- so if you do love other birds, and the sparrows are bugging you- you would be killing two birds with one stone to trap and kill them. This is legal because sparrows and starlings are non-native.
    I've never heard of barn sparrows. Do you mean barn swallows? If so hope you will let them be as they are endangered in some areas and they are great bug eaters.

Love my barn swallows..

Crockpot, Perhaps I should have said the sparrows that nest in my barn. Others seemed to understand what I meant when I said barn sparrows. I think that's a pretty common saying. They aren't barn swallows. I LOVE barn swallows but the sparrows often drive the swallows off and take over the swallows nest after it's built.

Plainandtall is correct that the sparrows are an invasive non-native species who do a lot of harm to native birds with their aggressive nesting habits. I do wish I could trap and kill them but it really wouldn't do much good as come summer my barn and indoor are wide open for air flow. If I trapped some, more would just move in. I do try though to knock the nests down before they lay eggs or the eggs hatch. Sometimes I'm lucky and sometimes not.
    Sue
    Back in my day, we didn't have as many warning labels because people weren't so dang stupid!

Thanks all. From what you have said, I'm guessing that was a mockingbird. I'm pretty sure we have them in western NY.
    Sue

Glad to hear it.

I had never heard of barn sparrows and have never had sparrows nesting in the barn so thanks for the clarification

The funny part is that the 'barn sparrows' are actually called House Sparrows but they love barns. I have both those and barn swallows in my barn. However once the swallows come back in spring once they start working on the nests they start chasing out the sparrows. And they don't fool around doing it, the dive bomb them and hit them hard enough to knock them out of the air. So in summer I have 1-2 sparrow nests only but in winter I get a barn full of the nasties. And mockingbirds are hilarious...but annoying in the wee hours, LOL! We had one at our last house that barked!
    You jump in the saddle,
    Hold onto the bridle!
    Jump in the line!
    ...Belefonte

Back to Normal.. or as close as I'll ever get

Mistyblue:
    Can you mail me some of your Killer Swallows?
    My swallows got evicted by the $%#^ sparrows 2 years ago
    This year they tried moving back in, built a nest and I was hopeful....

But the darned sparrows took over the nest, got it all ghetto-fied and the swallows moved elsewhere.
    I miss them.

Plainandtall:
    I'm curious.
    I know sparrows & starlings are not native, but both have been here for so long shouldn't they be considered at least indigenous by now?
    I'd be glad if they disappeared off the face of the Earth, but that doesn't seem likely.

I admit to a soft spot for the sparrows who overwinter here.
    Tough little characters who cheer up the otherwise dreary barn when it's frigid.

I've got both interlopers in my barn, wreaking havoc, pooping everywhere & hatching their stooopid babies who then fall out of their nests half-fledged or fly into the walls.

Swallow babies would be smarter & a whole lot more entertaining.

OP:
    I bet I could sleep through birdsong that early.
    I hear it when my housecat wakes me at 4:30A, but can grab another 1/2h before she goes ballistic and insists on me getting up to feed her.
    *friend of bar.ka*RIP all my lovely boys, gone too soon:
    Steppin' Out 1988-2004
    Hey Vern! 1982-2009
    Cash's Bay Threat 1994-2009

Hee hee hee! I want some of Misty Blue's swallows too. I really miss my barn swallows!
    Sue

Yes I also love my barn swallows.

I am familiar with house sparrows but see them rarely and have never seen any in the barn

The starlings took over for the last 2 years and the barn swallows left.

This year, for some reason- very few starlings and the swallows are back.

I don't know why the huge influx of starlings suddenly came and left but glad to see the barn swallows back this year as I missed them and thought they were gone forever.

Quote Originally Posted by 2DogsFarm View Post
    Mistyblue:
    Can you mail me some of your Killer Swallows?
    My swallows got evicted by the $%#^ sparrows 2 years ago
    This year they tried moving back in, built a nest and I was hopeful....

But the darned sparrows took over the nest, got it all ghetto-fied and the swallows moved elsewhere.
    I miss them.

Plainandtall:
    I'm curious.
    I know sparrows & starlings are not native, but both have been here for so long shouldn't they be considered at least indigenous by now?
    I'd be glad if they disappeared off the face of the Earth, but that doesn't seem likely.

I admit to a soft spot for the sparrows who overwinter here.
    Tough little characters who cheer up the otherwise dreary barn when it's frigid.

I've got both interlopers in my barn, wreaking havoc, pooping everywhere & hatching their stooopid babies who then fall out of their nests half-fledged or fly into the walls.

Swallow babies would be smarter & a whole lot more entertaining.

OP:
    I bet I could sleep through birdsong that early.
    I hear it when my housecat wakes me at 4:30A, but can grab another 1/2h before she goes ballistic and insists on me getting up to feed her.
    To answer your question about the House Sparrows and Starlings, NO.

Quote Originally Posted by Plainandtall View Post
    Mockingbirds are pretty notorious for singing late at night and driving people trying to sleep crazy. They also tend to get the whole bird neighborhood in trouble because they sing other birds' songs.

They are also great at making ambient sounds of the neighborhood- like backing up work trucks and car alarms.

PS- Sparrows are an invasive non-native species who do a lot of harm to native birds with their agressive nesting habits- so if you do love other birds, and the sparrows are bugging you- you would be killing two birds with one stone to trap and kill them. This is legal because sparrows and starlings are non-native.

This website will tell you all you need to know about why and how to do it:
    http://www.sialis.org/hosp.htm
    Thank you, thank you for the link! If someone could have gotten me on video protecting the Bluebirds this year they would have had a winner. After I month of menacing the sparrows I finally have a Bluebird family in my garden house.