The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Question So horse and I are moving to California...

Hi everyone!

My horse and I are moving to sunny, southern CA, and *I* CANNOT wait. I HATE the cold.

So, as I understand it, horses in CA don't get much turnout. And my horse is currently turned out 24/7... and he doesn't like stalls much. He's an OTTB, so clearly he started out being in a stall. He tolerates them at shows as long as I take him out and graze him and walk him around a couple hours between rides. Otherwise, he's a weaving fool. If only he could make sweaters or something...

(ETA: He has been stalled at night at a boarding facility for a better part of his life. Pasture board started when he went dead lame a couple years ago.. turns out it was heel soreness and he's just fine now... don't get me started on that story. But he learned to love pasture board in the process, and my wallet liked it too.)

Thoughts on helping him change over? I could start stalling him now to make the transition easier? Or just give him some ulcerguard and maybe a shot of reserpine (we're not showing anytime soon/this year)?

I care for 2 reasons: 1) I don't want him to freak everyone else out by his weaving. 2) I don't want him to get ulcers or lose weight from his own weaving exercise regimen because it took him forever to gain weight and cover up his ribs.

Thoughts? Thanks in advance!

Quote Originally Posted by Ruperman View Post
    Hi everyone!

My horse and I are moving to sunny, southern CA, and *I* CANNOT wait. I HATE the cold.

So, as I understand it, horses in CA don't get much turnout. And my horse is currently turned out 24/7... and he doesn't like stalls much.
    I don't know about resperine but Ulcerguard is probably not a bad idea just because his whole world sounds like it will be changing... Do you already have a place to bring him? "stalls" in SoCal are often much more open/airy and less boxy and closed in than east coast stalls, some horses might be happier with that scenario at least.

See if you can get grass hay fed in a slow feeder bag, that would help him transition a bit easier I would think. Good lucK!

1 members found this post helpful.

Lots of barns in Southern California have covered or partially covered 12 x 24 pipe corrals, or stalls with an in-and-out option and an attached corral. These are really good and horse-friendly options, and they'll usually save you money over being in a fancier main barn with true stalls.
    If you are allergic to a thing, it is best not to put that thing in your mouth, particularly if the thing is cats. - Lemony Snicket

2 members found this post helpful.

There really are many places which offer larger paddocks. Southern California is a pretty big place, so it depends on where you will be boarding. Obviously, the farther you get from city centers and denser population areas, the easier it will be to find such spaces.

Do you know which city, or at least, which county you will be moving to?

Do you regularly use reserpine with him now when he is stalled? Does he absolutely need it to be in a stall? If not, I'd hold off on it until you see how he tolerates his new living quarters. Especially if you're worried about ulcers-- the #1 side effect with reserpine is GI intolerance.

Anti-psychotic drugs can have irreversible neurological side effects, especially when used long term. It's not necessary to expose horses to that risk unless that risk outweighs the damage they would do to themselves otherwise (like in cases of stall rest). Also, it doesn't modify behavior; if your horse is going to weave, he's most likely still going to weave when the reserpine wears off.
    Don't fall for a girl who fell for a horse just to be number two in her world... ~EFO

I'd say wait on the drugs until you see what's available. Like poltroon said, the concept of "barn" in the southwest is totally different. Sometimes it's just a metal roof either fully or partially covered pipe corrals. Hopefully with being able to see 360 degrees around him, he won't be so inclined to stand at the stall door and weave.

But you are correct, 24x7 turnout on grass is not likely! Also be prepared for gigantic bales of alfalfa, that on the east coast horrified horse owners would call cow food, being fed (sparingly! one giant flake is plenty!) to the horses. And the bermuda hay is different out there -- it comes out of irrigated fields, and is not so tough and wiry as the coastal bermuda out here.
    --
    Wendy
    ... and Patrick

There are plenty of pasture situations out here, it's just that they are not acres and acres and usually not grassy. Having said that, I just raised my 4 yr old most recently on a 3 acre rolling hill pasture. It was grassy in the spring, over the summer, not so much. Once you know what part of southern CA you're moving to, PM or post here again and I'm sure we can help. Welcome!!! :-)

Yes, it depends on where in So Ca you are going. Because it's nice and warm here a majority of the time we don't have many lush green pastures but there are facilities that have larger stalls with runs. It depends on if you are a trail rider, want lessons or to be in an A barn which facility you choose.

If you go true So Cal towards San Diego there are a lot of really nice large facilities that offer huge turn outs. (Temecula, Fallbrook area)

If your worried about stress I wonder if it would be a good thing to feed something like ProBios or Biosponge... that's probably what I would talk to my vet about.
    How people treat you is their KARMA.... how you REACT is yours!

Move to Nor Cal.. we have pasture board/larger paddocks here
    ::Karley::

Henry (House of Fortuny) 7 yr old OTTB
    http://dondeestahenry.blogspot.com/

1 members found this post helpful.