The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Does anybody sell horsey items on ebay or similar site?

I have never done this before but I would like to.

Do you get good prices? Better than what you would get selling in some classified ad somewhere?

Totally a newbie here.

It depends on the item, but I have sold saddles, bridles, saddle covers, lots of little things. If you are selling something that doesn't really wear out, like fancy stirrups or a Thinline pad, you can get maybe 80% of the retail value of the item. But between eBay and PayPal, your take is like 15% of what it sells for, and shipping is included in that.
    A helmet saved my life.

2016 goal: learn to ride like TheHorseProblem, er, a barn rat!

2 members found this post helpful.

Market is soft now, but usually you will get buyers. Figure on losing 15 percent on fees because shipping gets fees charged on it now as well.

3 members found this post helpful.

Oh I'm addicted! I buy and sell a ton of horse stuff on ebay, and I'm now recently trading and selling on a facebook tack exchange as well.

I just sold a saddle today - had it advertised locally for $450, got $430 on ebay, which is much better than the $250 a local buyer offered. I'm pretty thrilled!

Quote Originally Posted by katyb View Post
    I just sold a saddle today - had it advertised locally for $450, got $430 on ebay, which is much better than the $250 a local buyer offered. I'm pretty thrilled!
    Wow, that's great! How do you ship a saddle to someone?

Quote Originally Posted by LookmaNohands View Post
    Take it to UPS or FedEx already packed, get it weighed and get a shipping quote based on the point furthest from you, insured for the value and if you want a signature required, unless you offer free shipping and then you will eat all the cost of that. I also roll the cost of the large box I have to buy to ship it in into the cost of shipping.

Sorry for the double post.
    Last edited by RubyTuesday; Jul. 24, 2013 at 09:40 PM. Reason: Double post

Yes, and as others mentioned, whether it is worth the trouble depends on the item. When the market was better/economy not so tanked, it was a lot more fun to do than it is now.
    Jeanie
    RIP Sasha, best dog ever, pictured shortly before she died, Death either by euthanasia or natural causes is only the end of the animal inhabiting its body; I believe the spirit lives on.

1 members found this post helpful.

Things on eBay used to be much better than they are now. I'm about done with it. I am sick of non paying buyers and dishonest sellers. At least with consignment someone else has to deal with that hassle rather than me!
    ~Veronica
    "The Son Dee Times" "Sustained" "Somerset" "Franklin Square"
    http://photobucket.com/albums/y192/vxf111/

Are you mostly selling your own stuff or where are you getting things to sell? What are people buying these days?
    For things to do in Loudoun County, visit: www.365thingstodoloudoun.com

Be prepared to not get your money for three weeks. That was a nice little surprise after the fact. It wasn't like I was selling my possessions because, I, um, needed the money or anything...
    It's a small world -- unless you gotta walk home.

I've been selling and buying on eBay for some 15 years or so. One of my first sales was a saddle with a buy it now. I don't think I've ever made a profit on anything, but I've thought of it as a nice way to pass things on. I've never been stiffed (I only take paypal now) and have only had a couple less-than-good transactions.

I like the ease ... no haggling, no "will you drive 15 miles so I can see it?" no "I have a cashier's check from an African country" emails.

The USPS and Paypal have done a lot to make figuring out shipping costs simpler. I also gauge shipping based on similar items for sale (especially saddles).
    *=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=

I sell quite a bit on eBay. The fees keep going up, however, so I do have to keep an eye on that and how it affects my pricing. Shipping is really easy with how they have it set up, so I pack things myself, print labels, then drop off at the Post Office or local UPS place. I am often shocked at how much things will go for. I have tried selling outside of eBay with listings on horse groups (no FB for me) and not had as much success, plus with eBay you have a time limit and payment requirements (7 days for Paypal payments) and that helps move things along.

I won't sell saddles there, however. Too much $$$ (nothing I have goes for less than $1,500 used) and more opportunity for problem buyers to make my life he!!. So I try to sell on my own or send to consignment.

Quote Originally Posted by LookmaNohands View Post
    I got a box for free at Lowe's (yes, I am shameless). I'm taking it to the USPS this afternoon. I added $40 for shipping, so I should be covered. I bought a used Barefoot last month, and I think shipping was about $25.

Quote Originally Posted by katyb View Post
    I got a box for free at Lowe's (yes, I am shameless).
    Color me clueless, but are you talking about their discarded boxes or something else?
    Flip a coin. It's not what side lands that matters, but what side you were hoping for when the coin was still in the air.

You call it boxed wine. I call it carboardeaux.

Yes - I just asked for a box. My niece needs a ceiling fan, and I thought that box would work, but it was a tad small, so I just asked for another.

I like the local tack exchange pages, I use one on Facebook. I can upload photos and info from my phone to a photo album, and then just periodically share the album on the page.

I typically meet people locally, and I don't mind when they're buying $100-200 worth of stuff. Driving 20ish minutes doesn't bother me if I'm (a) cleaning out my tack area at home, and (b) bringing in some spare cash.

But that is for smaller items, the largest things I've sold are bridles. For saddles, I post them on larger sites (equinesite, tacktrader, etc.) and ship wherever they need to go. One I even ended up driving from CT to VT to deliver it so the person could see it first, but that was a barely used $1800 saddle, so well worth the trip to get it sold at that price. The other I shipped via UPS, who is very helpful to deal with. But keep in mind that insurance can really drive the cost of shipping up, and I wouldn't recommend shipping without it (unless you can afford to lose the saddle and the money).

I'm not a fan of ebay because they take so much of your sale price. Since I'm not in a hurry to sell anything, I'll take a slightly lower-traffic site and a better price versus selling fast and losing a few hundred dollars. And the two saddles I've sold in the last two years were sold within 6 months on those other sites (1 on each site).

I have sold a TON of lower ticket items on English Tack Trader on Facebook. I had zero luck selling the same items on Ebay. I think you get a better target audience on the facebook pages, and I was able to sell all of my items for fair prices plus shipping. I use Paypal so I have the security of buying/selling and I invoice all of my customers. I have sold riding coats, show shirts, breeches, and my older tall boots. All items in good condition.

I sent a saddle out on trial from there too but it did not fit the buyer's horse and it was returned in good condition. I agree with other posters that it is best to take your saddles to a good consignment shop like Rick's Heritate or Iselltack.com to get the best value out of your saddle. Rick's consignment fee is a little hefty but Iselltack's is under 20%.

I don't sell on ebay, but I do buy a lot of bridles and halters and rugs and saddles on ebay. I find that the prices are great, and that the quality is great. And I'm talking about hermes and hening and arc de triomphe items, as well as walsh items.

I don't know what the ebay and paypal fees are, but I do find that buying saddles and bridles and halters and rugs on ebay is a lot cheaper than buying from stores. And the quality is great, even with used items.

And all of the sellers are great!