The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Waredaca Volunteering

Calling all you pro-volunteers who have done the volunteer gig at Waredaca. I have never volunteered at such a big event, and kind of want to know from you experienced people what to expect. And where is the best place to stay as I'm going to be driving up from about 4hrs away.
    "But I have promises to keep and miles to go before I sleep." Robert Frost

Eventing at Midnight Blog
    http://eventingmidnight.blogspot.com/

Why would you stay overnight if driving only 4 hours? Are you volunteering two days in a row? Just wondered. Hotel rooms are difficult in that area. Expensive and not available anywhere close.
    "Passion, though a bad regulator, is a powerful spring." -- Emerson
    www.eventhorse.wordpress.com

Retread, I don't know about you, but 8 hours of driving and 8 hours of volunteering (in August heat) sounds like a lot!
    OP, I am a boarder and long time volunteer there - maybe biased but can connect you with our coordinator and/or answer any questions you might have. The overnight question is one for our coordinator - sure she has ideas...
    The big man -- no longer an only child

His new little brother

2 members found this post helpful.

Post on the Area II Adult riders list as well....lots of people in the area...hopefully one can host you.

That's a REALLY long haul to volunteer! And so really nice of you to do.

Are you coming from the south or north? I can hook you up with places to stay if you want to volunteer at Plantation Fields in Sept.....we can turn you into a professional voluneer!
    Last edited by bornfreenowexpensive; Jul. 24, 2013 at 03:21 PM.
    ** The difference between genius and stupidity is genius has its limits. -- Albert Einstein **

If the information for the Waredaca T3DE is still on their website, I am pretty sure it has hotel recommendations (they are not super super lcose but not too far- I think they are in Gaithersburg)- so maybe start there
    As for the experience- I volunteer there a lot since it is down the street from where I board so it is easy for me to do.
    Expect a pretty organized event that treats their volunteers well. Your specific experience will depend on what your job(s) are so not sure I can give much detail. Do you know what your job is or have any specific questions?
    There is something about the outside of a horse that is good for the inside of a man.(Churchill)

From waredaca.com - useful info about lodging!

6)ACCOMODATIONS:

OFFICIAL HOTEL:

Comfort Inn Shady Grove

16216 Frederick Road

Gaithersburg, MD 20877

301-330-0023 or toll free 888-605-9100 for reservations

Ask for Waredaca Preferred Rate

Also, there are plenty of hotels within 30 minutes of the venue. Definitely check in Gaithersburg, Germantown, maybe Rockville, Frederick, and (last ditch effort) Bethesda.

Thanks for volunteering! Waredaca is well run so no matter what you do, you will be well looked after and prepared.

PM me for a place to stay. I've got a nice private place where I typically stay (with my horse) that is within 5 minutes. I will check with her to see if she will put up a volunteer for a small fee.

You might want toget specific directions about where vol parking will be. I remember once driving up from NC and having to search a bit to find the correct place. There are maybe 4 entrances, so it's not always as much a matter of paying attention to the signs as it is some places.
    Great event, thanks for volunteering! Esp if you have a start time of 8 or 7 I can sure see why you're heading up the day before! Enjoy.
    The biscuits (or maybe they are breakfast sandwhiches?) down the road at the gas station come with my high recommendation. (Not to worry, there is a grill in the back where food is fixed up hot)

Quote Originally Posted by Jeannette, formerly ponygyrl View Post
    The biscuits (or maybe they are breakfast sandwhiches?) down the road at the gas station come with my high recommendation. (Not to worry, there is a grill in the back where food is fixed up hot)
    That is the Sunshine Store at the corner of Georgia (rte 97) and New Hampshire (rte 650)- definitely worth a stop. Although I am more likely to stop for their burgers than their breakfast sandwiches Yum!
    There is something about the outside of a horse that is good for the inside of a man.(Churchill)

Thanks for all the great info guys. I'm coming up from Chesapeake, VA and volunteering all of Saturday and half of Sunday. That's if my work schedule doesn't jack my plans. I'm going to be volunteering at the October event, versus August due to work schedule.

Why? Well no big events close to me that work with my schedule. I retired my OTTB mare this past spring and I just haven't committed my heart to getting a new horse yet. So, why not watch, help, maybe make some new friends. Wildlifer always speaks so highly of the Waredaca event, so really I should blame her for the volunteer-itis.

So here's hoping work doesn't screw this up for me.
    "But I have promises to keep and miles to go before I sleep." Robert Frost

Eventing at Midnight Blog
    http://eventingmidnight.blogspot.com/

I have done a ton of volunteering at Waredaca. They take fabulous care of their volunteers (although, lunch is typically Subway which does nothing for me). Before I started staying with my friend, I always stayed in Germantown, usually just doing hotwire for a cheap hotel (since there are only 4 or 5 in Germantown and they are all fine) http://www.hotwire.com/hotels/search...ended-high-low. I prefer it to Gaithersburg as I think it is a little closer and definitely quieter than Gaithersburg.

Volunteer parking is typically up close in the main field (near where the food concessions are). That field is the one on the corner of 650 and Howard Chapel Road. There usually are good concessions (smoothie lady much of the time) and some good vendors. My favorite dinner spots are http://www.solaztecarestaurant.com/ and http://www.brickridge.com/

Have fun. I'm also missing August, but am thinking of doing a couple days in October, but maybe for the 3 day on Thursday and Friday.

p.s. "monsoon Wardaca" is not uncommon so pack good waterproof boots and lots of rain gear
    OTTBs rule, but spots are good too!