The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results
 
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 37
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Mar. 27, 2011
    Location
    The Land of Buggies and Black Bumpers
    Posts
    853



  2. #2
    Join Date
    Nov. 15, 2005
    Location
    NY
    Posts
    6,123

    Default

    Well there ya' have it from Jen Moores mouth, the Broker horses AC4H sells are NOT 'heading North'.
    Yo/Yousolong April 23rd, 1985- April 15th, 2014

    http://notesfromadogwalker.com/2012/...m-a-sanctuary/



  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jun. 27, 2005
    Location
    KY
    Posts
    4,559

    Default

    Love this statement by Jen Moore:

    What Moore has a problem with, she said, is that a lot of shelters and rescues are horse dealers in disguise.

    "It's all about the money," said Moore. "They now have the government to help them (because of their nonprofit, tax exempt status). They're making a buck off these horses."

    ************************
    \"Horses lend us the wings we lack\"


    2 members found this post helpful.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Sep. 7, 2009
    Location
    Lexington, KY
    Posts
    16,806

    Default

    From the article:

    Melissa Martin of Woodbine, Md., was desperate to get her horse, named Granville, back from AC4H and the Moore's broker program in 2011.

    "I got Granville as a yearling and broke him as a three year old," said Martin who posted her story on one of several Facebook pages and blogs dedicated to expose what she said is questionable behavior by rescue groups like AC4H.

    "I sold him to a show barn. Apparently in 2011 the show barn went belly up and he ended up at New Holland," Martin wrote in an email. "He was sold to Brian Moore, and AC4H was trying to raise money for him to be saved. Through many people, we made offers up to $4,000 but they wanted $6,000 and refused to release him."

    Martin said she and other donors got frustrated because, although AC4H threatened that the horse was going to slaughter if the full $6,000 wasn't raised, she knew the horse was really too valuable to send there.

    "Shortly after, all his information was taken off the AC4H website and they told me he went to slaughter to fill the truck," Martin remembered. "I recently found out he went to a resale barn but I have still yet to be able to find him anywhere."

    Read more: http://lancasteronline.com/article/l...#ixzz2ZgdDi7bd
    Jen Moore's comments are very interesting...wonder if they're trying to avoid legal problems too. I always thought they were partners with AC4H...looks like they're throwing them under the bus.

    Sheidy needs to go to jail for a very long time.
    "We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." ~Immanuel Kant


    2 members found this post helpful.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Nov. 15, 2005
    Location
    NY
    Posts
    6,123

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by luvmytbs View Post
    Love this statement by Jen Moore:

    What Moore has a problem with, she said, is that a lot of shelters and rescues are horse dealers in disguise.

    "It's all about the money," said Moore. "They now have the government to help them (because of their nonprofit, tax exempt status). They're making a buck off these horses."
    That was hilarious... and it's the one fault I find with the journalist doing the story... s/he did not catch the irony here? At all?
    Yo/Yousolong April 23rd, 1985- April 15th, 2014

    http://notesfromadogwalker.com/2012/...m-a-sanctuary/


    2 members found this post helpful.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Feb. 4, 2009
    Location
    NCC DE
    Posts
    2,247

    Default

    So instead of taking $4000.00 for a nice horse, that bi^%$ holds him hostage for 6K and claims that she'll send him to fill the truck. Then he just disappears.

    I have a special name I call people like that but it's likely to get me banned, so I'll refrain.

    I'd love to see Sheidy's associates turn on her. That would be some great entertainment.


    7 members found this post helpful.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    May. 11, 2002
    Location
    S Ctrl Kentucky
    Posts
    3,339

    Default

    Okay, so I get the part about her being a bad person for holding that horse hostage for an exhorbitant price. But I honestly don't see the problem with the general premise of the AC4H program. IDEALLY, all the horses would be savied by some wealthy benevelant person who swooped in and paid to bail all the horses and found them all wonderful homes. But unfortunately there is no such person and with the choice being Christy making a few hundred bucks on each horse or them ALL going to slaughter, I prefer the former.

    Is it really so wrong that she's making some money here? She takes the time to go through the horses bought by the killers and select those that she thinks she can rehome. No one is paying her for that time. And most importantly, SHE ISN'T MAKING ANYONE BUY A HORSE FROM HER! Anyone can go to one of those sales and buy the horse directly. I just don't get the vitriol spewed at this person who has an arrangement with a killer buyer to pull a few horses each week to see if she can get them rehomed or they go on the truck. Is it really so terrible what she's doing?

    And yes, I have a friend who just "rescued" two horses from her and is thrilled with them. She paid less than $1,000 for the two of them and they are both absolute dolls that she and her kids and grandkids will have fun with out on the trails. How is this a bad thing?

    And please don't go off on me and tell me how stupid and ignorant I am for feeling the way I do. I honestly don't understand why when the ultimate goal is to save a horse from slaughter, which is what she's doing a great majority of the time, you begrudge her making some money while doing it?
    RIP Full Metal Jacket "Jack" 1998 -2/27/09
    RIP Salisbury Hill "Ted" 1979-4/2/10
    "God have mercy on the man who doubts what he's sure of" -Springsteen


    4 members found this post helpful.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Nov. 20, 2010
    Location
    Upstate New York
    Posts
    4,140

    Default

    The FBI raids your place, and you still keep on keepin' on. Amazing.

    There must be some other profession she could use those skill sets on...
    Being right half the time beats being half-right all the time. Malcolm Forbes


    2 members found this post helpful.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Nov. 2, 2001
    Location
    Packing my bags
    Posts
    30,900

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by CVPeg View Post
    The FBI raids your place, and you still keep on keepin' on. Amazing.

    There must be some other profession she could use those skill sets on...
    In all fairness, there is the assumption of innocence until proven guilty in a court of law.
    Let's keep that little principle in mind.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mozart View Post
    Personally, I think the moderate use of shock collars in training humans should be allowed.


    2 members found this post helpful.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jun. 27, 2005
    Location
    KY
    Posts
    4,559

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Fessy's Mom View Post
    Okay, so I get the part about her being a bad person for holding that horse hostage for an exhorbitant price. But I honestly don't see the problem with the general premise of the AC4H program. IDEALLY, all the horses would be savied by some wealthy benevelant person who swooped in and paid to bail all the horses and found them all wonderful homes. But unfortunately there is no such person and with the choice being Christy making a few hundred bucks on each horse or them ALL going to slaughter, I prefer the former.

    Is it really so wrong that she's making some money here? She takes the time to go through the horses bought by the killers and select those that she thinks she can rehome. No one is paying her for that time. And most importantly, SHE ISN'T MAKING ANYONE BUY A HORSE FROM HER! Anyone can go to one of those sales and buy the horse directly. I just don't get the vitriol spewed at this person who has an arrangement with a killer buyer to pull a few horses each week to see if she can get them rehomed or they go on the truck. Is it really so terrible what she's doing?

    And yes, I have a friend who just "rescued" two horses from her and is thrilled with them. She paid less than $1,000 for the two of them and they are both absolute dolls that she and her kids and grandkids will have fun with out on the trails. How is this a bad thing?

    And please don't go off on me and tell me how stupid and ignorant I am for feeling the way I do. I honestly don't understand why when the ultimate goal is to save a horse from slaughter, which is what she's doing a great majority of the time, you begrudge her making some money while doing it?
    The fact is that regardless of how many horses Sheidy sells, the number of horses going on that truck will not differ.

    Slaughter is driven by demand!

    But, I degress.

    ************************
    \"Horses lend us the wings we lack\"


    1 members found this post helpful.

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Nov. 15, 2005
    Location
    NY
    Posts
    6,123

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Fessy's Mom View Post
    Okay, so I get the part about her being a bad person for holding that horse hostage for an exhorbitant price. But I honestly don't see the problem with the general premise of the AC4H program. IDEALLY, all the horses would be savied by some wealthy benevelant person who swooped in and paid to bail all the horses and found them all wonderful homes. But unfortunately there is no such person and with the choice being Christy making a few hundred bucks on each horse or them ALL going to slaughter, I prefer the former.

    Is it really so wrong that she's making some money here? She takes the time to go through the horses bought by the killers and select those that she thinks she can rehome. No one is paying her for that time. And most importantly, SHE ISN'T MAKING ANYONE BUY A HORSE FROM HER! Anyone can go to one of those sales and buy the horse directly. I just don't get the vitriol spewed at this person who has an arrangement with a killer buyer to pull a few horses each week to see if she can get them rehomed or they go on the truck. Is it really so terrible what she's doing?

    And yes, I have a friend who just "rescued" two horses from her and is thrilled with them. She paid less than $1,000 for the two of them and they are both absolute dolls that she and her kids and grandkids will have fun with out on the trails. How is this a bad thing?

    And please don't go off on me and tell me how stupid and ignorant I am for feeling the way I do. I honestly don't understand why when the ultimate goal is to save a horse from slaughter, which is what she's doing a great majority of the time, you begrudge her making some money while doing it?
    there are a number of things 'wrong'
    Shipping documents for 2010 showing all of Moores shipments show that no greys, ponies or minis ship... while they show up routinely in the 'kill pen' broker listings as in danger of shipping. Add to that the 2 ponies AC4H was selling for Moore that showed up at the same time on the Camelot sales pages... and a pony shell game ensued. Or maybe it was more of a 'pony, pony, who has the pony' game?

    Either way, it's clear that Moore has 2 [or more] businesses:
    1 is shipping horses to slaughter,
    the 2nd is selling horses via a 501c3 [that some claim is run by his cousin which brings up the question of inurement] while stating those horses are also at risk for shipping to slaughter.

    If AC4Hs 990s showed that any of the BOD earned a salary, that would be fine and dandy.
    It does not.
    If any of the AC4H BOD stated that they made a salary, that would be fine and dandy [if it was also reflected on their 990], but in fact Christy has claimed over and over that she doesn't make one red cent from the Broker horses sales.

    No begrudging of her making any money, just concerned that she doesn't claim on any 990s anywhere that she makes any money and curious how she pays for the costly things in life... the latest cell phones and manis, Omaha Steaks... among other things.

    And as for saving horses from slaughter... as someone else pointed out it's a supply/demand business... even if the horses she sold were at Brians being readied to ship and she saved every last one, others would go in their place to be slaughtered to fill that demand. But she insists that these Broker horses she lists are shipping to slaughter if not saved, and if that's not true because they are not eligible to ship to be slaughtered for human consumption [as has been repeatedly alleged]... well that's lying, or fraud, or something isn't it?
    Yo/Yousolong April 23rd, 1985- April 15th, 2014

    http://notesfromadogwalker.com/2012/...m-a-sanctuary/


    2 members found this post helpful.

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Jan. 14, 2003
    Location
    Massachusetts
    Posts
    5,724

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Fessy's Mom View Post
    Okay, so I get the part about her being a bad person for holding that horse hostage for an exhorbitant price. But I honestly don't see the problem with the general premise of the AC4H program. IDEALLY, all the horses would be savied by some wealthy benevelant person who swooped in and paid to bail all the horses and found them all wonderful homes. But unfortunately there is no such person and with the choice being Christy making a few hundred bucks on each horse or them ALL going to slaughter, I prefer the former.

    Is it really so wrong that she's making some money here? She takes the time to go through the horses bought by the killers and select those that she thinks she can rehome. No one is paying her for that time. And most importantly, SHE ISN'T MAKING ANYONE BUY A HORSE FROM HER! Anyone can go to one of those sales and buy the horse directly. I just don't get the vitriol spewed at this person who has an arrangement with a killer buyer to pull a few horses each week to see if she can get them rehomed or they go on the truck. Is it really so terrible what she's doing?

    And yes, I have a friend who just "rescued" two horses from her and is thrilled with them. She paid less than $1,000 for the two of them and they are both absolute dolls that she and her kids and grandkids will have fun with out on the trails. How is this a bad thing?

    And please don't go off on me and tell me how stupid and ignorant I am for feeling the way I do. I honestly don't understand why when the ultimate goal is to save a horse from slaughter, which is what she's doing a great majority of the time, you begrudge her making some money while doing it?
    I could not dredge up the energy to re-frame for you your sanitized version of what goes on with AC4H.. But frankly, they have to make a few good placements or there would be on one to stick up for them. So, if you are willing to show up, fork over the cash and accept what you get and I suspect if you did not ask enough questions to get mislead then yes, you would not feel that dealing with them is a negative.


    6 members found this post helpful.

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Feb. 4, 2009
    Location
    NCC DE
    Posts
    2,247

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Fessy's Mom View Post
    Okay, so I get the part about her being a bad person for holding that horse hostage for an exhorbitant price. But I honestly don't see the problem with the general premise of the AC4H program. IDEALLY, all the horses would be savied by some wealthy benevelant person who swooped in and paid to bail all the horses and found them all wonderful homes. But unfortunately there is no such person and with the choice being Christy making a few hundred bucks on each horse or them ALL going to slaughter, I prefer the former.

    Is it really so wrong that she's making some money here? She takes the time to go through the horses bought by the killers and select those that she thinks she can rehome. No one is paying her for that time. And most importantly, SHE ISN'T MAKING ANYONE BUY A HORSE FROM HER! Anyone can go to one of those sales and buy the horse directly. I just don't get the vitriol spewed at this person who has an arrangement with a killer buyer to pull a few horses each week to see if she can get them rehomed or they go on the truck. Is it really so terrible what she's doing?

    And yes, I have a friend who just "rescued" two horses from her and is thrilled with them. She paid less than $1,000 for the two of them and they are both absolute dolls that she and her kids and grandkids will have fun with out on the trails. How is this a bad thing?

    And please don't go off on me and tell me how stupid and ignorant I am for feeling the way I do. I honestly don't understand why when the ultimate goal is to save a horse from slaughter, which is what she's doing a great majority of the time, you begrudge her making some money while doing it?
    I don't think the premise is bad either. In that case represent yourself as a broker or dealer, pay yourself a salary and pay taxes on what you earn, and don't claim a non-profit status for your business.

    I'll skip the other sordid parts, it's all out there if you want to look.


    8 members found this post helpful.

  14. #14
    Join Date
    May. 11, 2002
    Location
    S Ctrl Kentucky
    Posts
    3,339

    Default

    So because her business practices are questionable, all her work is not worthwhile? Your premise that there is an infinite number of horses going to slaughter doesn't make sense to me. I thought all rescuers mantra has always been "one life at a time".

    And she obviously qualified for the 501c3 status or she wouldn't have gotten it. Is it her fault that the laws work so that she can get away with certain things under the umbrella of being a 501c3? Shouldn't the laws be changed?

    There is a dog rescue in our state that the woman makes crazy money "selling" puppies that she "rescues" from other states. She drives around in her big Cadillac Escalade and feels pretty good about herself for keeping those puppies from being killed. I'm not crazy about that either, but if she's a 501c3 then whatever she's doing must be okay, or the laws need to change.

    But ultimately, lives are being saved, so why such hate?
    RIP Full Metal Jacket "Jack" 1998 -2/27/09
    RIP Salisbury Hill "Ted" 1979-4/2/10
    "God have mercy on the man who doubts what he's sure of" -Springsteen


    3 members found this post helpful.

  15. #15
    Join Date
    May. 11, 2002
    Location
    S Ctrl Kentucky
    Posts
    3,339

    Default

    mswillie - I agree. But that's the way our country works. Everyone takes advantage of what they can, from the welfare mom with the nice phone and manicures buying scratch tickets with the money she got selling her EBT cards to the weathy business man hiding his money in the Caymans. Nothing's perfect.
    RIP Full Metal Jacket "Jack" 1998 -2/27/09
    RIP Salisbury Hill "Ted" 1979-4/2/10
    "God have mercy on the man who doubts what he's sure of" -Springsteen


    2 members found this post helpful.

  16. #16
    Join Date
    Feb. 4, 2009
    Location
    NCC DE
    Posts
    2,247

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Fessy's Mom View Post
    mswillie - I agree. But that's the way our country works. Everyone takes advantage of what they can, from the welfare mom with the nice phone and manicures buying scratch tickets with the money she got selling her EBT cards to the weathy business man hiding his money in the Caymans. Nothing's perfect.
    Really? I'm speechless. And that's a rarity for me.


    5 members found this post helpful.

  17. #17

    Default

    There's such hate because they are lying to people. They are perpetuating a myth. They are not doing well by these horses as they're "saving" them (did you see the video of them riding the horse with the severe back deformity/problem just to show that's she's 'sound'?). There have been multiple instances of horses disappearing in shady ways as they go through the AC4H program. I know of at least one case of a pair of horses that kept showing up in the broker program for three times before they ended up actually getting somewhere.

    There are people who are misled or suckered into 'bailing' a horse they have no business getting because they cannot manage it because it turns out not to be as 'quiet' as AC4H claimed on their listings. And yes I realize they don't spend that much time with the horses and can't possibly know everything about them. But they spend so much time tugging on people's heartstrings with 'the truck is coming! the truck is coming! you have to save them now!!!!' and want to help. They want to save another life. And they end up with a horse that's dangerous for them or that they can do nothing with and there are no returns so now what do they do with it?

    Why can't AC4H do rescue better in that they actually aren't lining the broker's pockets? Why can't they do proper quarantine and vetwork? Keep the horses long enough that they can evaluate them properly? God forbid, maybe they could even put a little bit of training on them?

    The sad thing is...AC4H does apparently have horses for 'adoption' like a traditional rescue....but I don't think most people know or realize that because all their emphasis is placed on the broker program. Why do you think that is?
    The Trials and Jubilations of a Twenty-Something Re-rider
    Happy owner of Kieran the mostly-white-very-large-not-pony.



  18. #18
    Join Date
    Sep. 11, 2008
    Location
    Snohomish, WA
    Posts
    3,895

    Default

    The idea isn't bad - it's all the lying and misrepresentation that goes with it.
    Some of the horses that have been represented as sound have been anything but.


    4 members found this post helpful.

  19. #19
    Join Date
    Mar. 14, 2002
    Location
    The horse country of VA
    Posts
    3,319

    Default

    AC4H is unethical in every way, shape and form.

    People who "save" a horse by buying it from AC4H supply the funds Moore uses to buy SEVERAL more horses to put right on the truck to slaughter. He buys a horse at auction for $50 - AC4H turns around and markets it for $500, $600, or more. So that bleeding heart who shelled out the $500 (or more) to "save" that horse just bought the tickets for many other horses to go to slaughter - horses no one ever sees.

    Furthermore, AC4H markets many horses that the slaughter industry wouldn't even accept, but AC4H does it with the "truck is coming" threat. Old, starving, lame, greys, minis, ponies, etc. The slaughter industry wants fat, slick, healthy horses.

    Naive people fall for AC4H's BS every time. "Oh, but I must save this one horse!", and they go off on the Starfish story. Thing is, they're not realizing how many more horses THEY are indirectly paying the way directly to slaughter.
    Equus Keepus Brokus


    11 members found this post helpful.

  20. #20
    Join Date
    May. 5, 2006
    Posts
    2,790

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Fessy's Mom View Post
    So because her business practices are questionable, all her work is not worthwhile?
    Yes, any worth her work has should be overshadowed by the bad that she does. Because the few "rescues" that go without a hitch are the ones that are used to lure in other buyers. To say that illegal and shady dealings should be overlooked because some are actually helped is like saying that a bank robber should be allowed to rob banks because he sometimes donates money to the homeless.

    The fact of the matter is that none of the broker horses are in danger of being shipped to slaughter. And yet, AC4H uses the highly emotional siren call of "saving this horse from the slaughter truck" as a sales pitch. Why the disingenuous practice? Why not just market the broker horses as what they are? There are feedlots all over the place that are honest and up front about the horses they pull for private sale.
    Sheilah
    Proud Member Of The Lady Mafia
    And
    Sheeple Extraordinaire


    7 members found this post helpful.

Similar Threads

  1. AC4H
    By WarDance in forum Off Course
    Replies: 21
    Last Post: Apr. 29, 2012, 04:22 AM
  2. AC4H at it again
    By LauraKY in forum Off Course
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: Jul. 18, 2011, 10:02 PM
  3. ac4h
    By 2boys in forum Off Course
    Replies: 41
    Last Post: Apr. 26, 2011, 09:49 PM
  4. 8-9 yr 16+hh TB on AC4H. well put together!
    By farmgirl88 in forum Off Course
    Replies: 28
    Last Post: Dec. 31, 2009, 02:16 PM
  5. Tell me about your AC4H horses!
    By meaty ogre in forum Off Course
    Replies: 111
    Last Post: Oct. 8, 2008, 04:59 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
randomness