The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Default A pony for $1 (update with video of Spirit running a little)

I bought a pony yesterday for $1.

The loss of Bluestar Equiculture's beloved Cupcake was the chink in my armor which allowed me to say- "Yes I will do what it takes" instead of "I am all full up"

This pony is about 15, pretty, roan, foundered, obese, and named Spirit.

He is coming from a multigeneration family crisis of a casual acquaintance that has been going on for a while. I was invited to visit this old friend last week, when she stopped by the abandoned family farm... and when I saw Spirit- well, that was the last time my mind was without him.

I was asked if I wanted to take him and my reaction was an implied, "not with a ten foot pole." But my heart broke to see him turned back out into a big field when I knew, like a forest tree falling with no one to hear it. That even if no one knew he was out there... well I knew. And it was going to eat me up.

Meanwhile here on COTH I saw the encouragement and beautiful pictures of the work done for another Cupcake... all thanks to Moos Taxidermy sticking his neck out and getting the work done to get her the help she needs.

I asked if I could take him and try to find him a home- this is genuine- I really do hope to find him a home where laminitis is understood, lots are dryish and farriers come regularly. We have 5 horses and 4 children and did not *need* another horse, especially not one with these care requirements. I hope that the fact that he is coming to a safe place today does not prevent someone like me, inspired by Cupcake or Cupcake II to open their heart to this sweet Spirit.

I worked last night to clear a space in the barn to make him a stall, and the finishing touches this morning. Later today we will go to get him.

I visited with the vet yesterday and have a great plan- a joint vet and farrier appointment scheduled for tuesday. I am thrilled that we were able to work out the x rays and farrier to happen together. I'm not happy about having to trailer him to the appointment- but if that's what it's going to take to get him the help- we bite the bullet.

I pray that the prognosis is hopeful for his feet and also will pray for a home for him. I am located in south east Indiana less than 2 hours away from Cincy, Louisville and Indy.

I will update with pictures when he gets here. I want to help without judgement, move forward, ever upward.
    Last edited by Plainandtall; Aug. 19, 2013 at 01:39 PM.

27 members found this post helpful.

I've been talking to PlainandTall on PM...it's a wonderful thing she's doing. A couple of us have volunteered to help with expenses. You can PM me for vet info if you'd like to contribute a dribble.

As a side note, I know her vet and she's one of the best in KY.
    "We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." ~Immanuel Kant

3 members found this post helpful.

Good for you! And make sure to post lots of photos. Congrats on your new little buddy!
    You jump in the saddle,
    Hold onto the bridle!
    Jump in the line!
    ...Belefonte

Thank you so much Laura- for the vote of confidence- and also for lending me your ear as I worked through the hand wringing of the past few days.

The girls helped me put the finishing touches on the stall.
    http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b2...ttingready.jpg

We built this barn last year but didn't get to finish the stalls- so I am just going to make do with these gates- and we shall call this "well ventilated" I can confidently post the picture of it's cleanliness as a horse has never lived in it!! I also don't typically bed like this- but in this situation maybe it's best...or not... I might partially pull the shavings back to see if the pony shows a preference- until the feet are trimmed, it's possible that deeper might not be more comfortable.

My husband worked night shift last night- and when he wakes up we will go get him.

2 members found this post helpful.

You have very cute "barn staff."
    You jump in the saddle,
    Hold onto the bridle!
    Jump in the line!
    ...Belefonte

16 members found this post helpful.

Moos will surely be thrilled to hear this story! Good on you!

You've done a wonderful thing here, stepping up to give this pony a chance. I generally have a very poor opinion of the human race, and have often described humanity as the 11th plague on the planet. Then I come here on CotH, and I see the glimmers of goodness that still exist, and it gives me hope.

5 members found this post helpful.

Good for you.

I have a $1 horse who also needed a soft landing arriving here next week. I really wasn't planning on expanding the herd, either.

4 members found this post helpful.

Bless you for taking this pony on! I don't understand many of your references to other people/situations, so I'm kind of lost there, but no matter. What a great lesson to teach your kids, as well. Pony is not the only one who will benefit from being saved.
    My Mustang Adventures - Mac, my mustang | Annwylid D'Lite - my Cob filly

"A horse's face always conveys clearly whether it is loved by its owner or simply used." - Anja Beran

You are the best! I am moved beyond words today as I see fellow COTHers do these good deeds. <<<hugs>>>

So as said, when you start with vet bills and farrier, PM me so I can paypal you some money.

Great of you to take pony. As everyone knows, a $1 horse or pony is as expensive as(and sometimes more expensive than) a 125,000 horse or pony. Or not, but still costs $ to rehab.

1 members found this post helpful.

My laminitic, obese, not-needed but now well-loved rescue pony lived in a stall just like that for this first year that I had him. We did finally get lumber and find the time to make him a “proper” stall but he was happy as Larry in the well ventilated version too. Bed deep until his feet are feeling better. You may want to pack his hooves with Magic Cushion or similar as well – I find it helps immensely when my little guy is having a bad foot day.

Thank you for giving your newcomer a chance.

He's here!

Eva welcomes Spirit- and Speck... ugh... get out of my picture you disgusting dog!

http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b2...comespirit.jpg

I have to run to town for a few hours, but I'll write an update on how the round up went and how he's settling in.

6 members found this post helpful.

What a sweet face.

Love the well ventilated stall. It will give your new pony lots of things to look at while he settles in to his new home. Can not wait to see the photos.

Love, love, love, love, love that face! He is one lucky pony now!!!!
    My Mustang Adventures - Mac, my mustang | Annwylid D'Lite - my Cob filly

"A horse's face always conveys clearly whether it is loved by its owner or simply used." - Anja Beran

Haha....dog.... But seriously, what a sweet face! You guys all inspire me to pick up a critter in need-even though I know I'm full up. Maybe I could foster?

Here's PlainandTall's original PM to me. She did this on her own...all I did was add a little encouragement (and I'll be adding a dribble.)

Laura- I saw you posted in the thread about that poor pony with the corkscrew hooves.

I want to ask you for advice/help with a situation that I just got personally involved with and I don't know exactly how to handle it- but want to do it as cleanly and kindly as possible.

I have an acquaintance who used to live a few miles from me and we had children at the same time- so were playday friends when the kids were young. Her family lived on a farm that belonged to her husband's grandparents and the grandparents also lived there.

She is now divorced and moved away and I believe both grandparents are now dead, but possibly one is alive and incapacitaed. The x-husband is still in the area, but does not live on the property, which is basically abandoned.

There are horses which have been left (abandoned) on the property in a very large pasture with a pond and a soon to fall down barn. This place is very private and off the road- so the horses will never be seen by people driving by.

Yesterday I got a text from my old friend that they were going to be visiting the farm if I wanted to drive over and see them.

When I arrived they were trying to lead a roan pony out of the field, to brush him and love on him a little.

He was having trouble walking due to his foundered overgrown feet. I know that in the past year she had called animal control on her x husband over the pony and AC had visited the farm and the x had done what it took to get them off his back. The pony is dangerously obese- and I'm afraid that when it comes to abject neglect- fatness is not one of the red flags that gets animals seized.

I think that it is possible that this pony could be given or priced with a token $$... to a good home who would care for him. I think he will need a dry lot, a muzzle and extensive farrier care (and x-rays) and possibly medication. It's also possible that his feet are in such bad shape- that euth is the only humane answer. I think the chance of getting the owners (him or her- I'm not quite sure) to release the pony- would be best if there is no nasty judgmental attitude or legal mess. I think as soon as it would get accusatory - that the bridge would be burned and the hope for helping the pony would be lost.

I couldn't stand by while the only "care" the pony got was his mane brushed, so I got some nippers from the barn and tried to take off some of the length of his feet. I took off about 1.5 inches off each toe- but was running into bloody quick despite there being a good four more inches before being back anywhere near the normal hoof zone. The sole and laminae- was grown out along with the hoof wall- in a narrow strip on the underside of the curled channel of hoof. I was too chicken to cut through that part of the anatomy as it was very much pink and alive.

One foot had me more worried than the others, his right hind is curling sideways- so he is walking out the outside quarter. When I picked up his foot- there was no visible frog- the sole of his foot was covered by the overgrown folded over curl of the outside quarter. I pried that flap up and snipped it off so that his foot at least wasn't full of wet rot inside that- and I tried to level up the heel enough to encourage the foot to land more squarely- but I could not cut much on his heel before I was hitting pink.

Obviously the "do it in stages" is paramount. And this was way over my head.

I did have the sense that I was "destroying evidence" but honestly my desire to help the pony then and there was stronger than any interest in documenting how bad it was. I was just dissapointed that I was hitting blood where I was and couldn't make things more normal. It's STILL really really bad.

I don't have the funds to take this pony in- not with a lifetime commitment. I know what my horse capacity is- and I'm at it. She sort of offered the pony to me and I felt bad for responding with an implied "not with a ten foot pole." I would not want to take the pony on the false pretense of a forever home and then turn out over to someone else as soon as they turned their back. I want to be able to be as honest as possible about what is going on as I know how these things can get SO MESSY and I don't want to make trouble with this family. I would love to be able to go back to her and say- "I was asking around and know someone who would take Spirit."

Do you know of anyone who might be interested in this pony for a companion? He is located between Cincy, Louisville and Indy. (In Indiana)
    She could use a pony grazing muzzle if anyone has an extra to donate or loan.
    "We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." ~Immanuel Kant

I've got a mini sized grazing muzzle I'd happily send along if there's any chance it would fit. It's the BestFriends deluxe style that attaches to a halter. It went missing earlier this spring and I bought a new one that seems to fit Mini Mo better so this one is no longer needed.

OMG that pony is cute! Bless you for taking him in!