The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Farrier's Fix Toughen Tender Feet? Anything else new out there?

My mare is coming 5 and has always been sensitive on firm ground. Gravel she's very ouchy so we avoid it. My farrier doesn't want to shoe her as he's working on some things with her movement and said shoes will make things worse. She's on 24/7 turnout, a great diet of Progressive ration balancer, Omega HorseShine, Flax, a cup of oil a day, MSM and Farrier's Formula and has been so for a year. She's still tender. We just moved to a place with no sand ring and she's short and choppy in her movement. I tried Keratex Hoof Hardener last year with only a tiny improvement. I see Farrier's Fix is getting good reviews for the tender footed. I'm assuming the venus turpentine in it is helping. So...what are the current fixes for tender feet? Good old Venus Turpentine, Durasole or Farrier's Fix? Anything else out there you've had success with?
    "We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing."

I am in love with durasole!

1 members found this post helpful.

Did you have success with the Durasole just brushing out the foot well or did you use heat as well? I had to make an emergency move with my pony to a barn where getting a hairdryer out to her will be extremely tough. Sad because she looooooooves to be blow dried! LOL
    "We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing."

I'd be inclined to try shoes - curious why your farrier won't - have you tried just booting?

Many of the "Hoof Hardener" products are irritants so do look carefully at what you're using.

Can you expand on why your *farrier* is working on the horse's movement, and why he thinks shoes will hinder that?

Pictures of the feet are really necessary if you want some discussion on some potential hoof balance issues.

Hoof hardening things aren't going to fix hoof trimming issues, or dietary issues.

Durasole is what my farrier has always recommended with great success.

durasole has worked well for me also. I didn't do the hair dryer thing.

First 3 -4 days I applied it 3 times, once when I arrived at the barn, once after my ride, and one more time before I left. Then once a day, and now I am using it every few days.

It has made my horse's sole thicker. I can tell when I have not applied it for a few days, as the sole will start to exfoliate a bit - and I can tell how much sole has been retained - rather than wearing / shedding off.

Same thing with my mare. Durasole. Unless the foot is wet, just clean it out well and put it on until it soaks in. It's not that hard to use.

I was using Venice Turpentine and Durasole and Rick explained why it didn't work. They do different things. Durasole will thicken the sole.

I also have mine on flax and biotin for her feet.

I have tried all of the above. Then I found a product called Hoof Armor. It is not like the other products. You can Google it or try www.hoofarmor.com It has greatly improved my horse's life.

Another odd question! My mare has 4 white socks with feathers. If POSSIBLE...does one of these products NOT dye her legs if it pours over? I just treated for thrush and her socks are now green from the thrush meds pouring down the hoof as well as getting onto my hand and then me picking up her next leg. I used iodine then to treat it per my farrier and now they are red and green. She's like a Xmas pony! Are any of these products clear and not staining? It's quite a process to get the product on without letting it drip onto her. If this is a long-term thing I'd love something I didn't have to worry so much about staining!

No hair dryer for my chickens. I just take one of those wooden toothbrushes, brush off the hoof, apply a little durasole and brush it around to cover the sole. I apply a minimum 2x a day up to 4

Maybe a new farrier and shoes. Durasole works, but if a horse needs shoes, all the Durasole in the world isn't going to help.
    "We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." ~Immanuel Kant

Keratex works wonders. Its expensive, but definitely worth it.

Quote Originally Posted by CvilleEventer View Post
    Keratex works wonders. Its expensive, but definitely worth it.
    And there is no color to it. Keratex Hoof Hardener can also be applied to the hoof wall, unlike Durasole. It thickens soles as well as Durasole, IMO, as well has making the hoof walls very resistant to cracks and chips.

However, I agree with Laura. If the horse needs shoes to be comfortable, shoe it. Dollars to donuts your "farrier" is really a "barefoot at all costs" trimmer. IME, these people will make promises of achieving rock crunching hooves with their designer trims even in the face of sore horses, month after month, year after year. When It doesn't work, it becomes something you're doing wrong.

I question the competence and credibility of any farrier who says shoes will make a foot sore horse worse.

3 members found this post helpful.

Nothing?

Quote Originally Posted by JB View Post
    Can you expand on why your *farrier* is working on the horse's movement, and why he thinks shoes will hinder that?

Pictures of the feet are really necessary if you want some discussion on some potential hoof balance issues.

Hoof hardening things aren't going to fix hoof trimming issues, or dietary issues.

Sorry I was offline for a bit! I've had 3 really good farriers work with her. She was starting to move in her hind end by pulling her legs up and in rather than pushing and stepping through. It's super hard to explain! LOL She's not lame and vets all OK'd her but the farriers said she is young and putting on shoes will cause her to exaggerate that movement and we're trying to eliminate it. At the time the foot soreness wasn't a problem because I was in a sand arena 90% of the time. Now that we're on hard ground at all times its noticeable. I'm going to revisit the shoes question with him when he comes out in 2 weeks and really ask why they are a bad idea. He's not a barefoot whacko and is always about shoes when needed so I trust him when he said "No shoes. She'll move great for 2 weeks and then we'll start to have serious problems". I wish I had asked for more explanation at the time! The farrier who told me that is a top-notch farrier I actually hauled her to for an evaluation and to check in that my regular farrier was doing a good job. I wish I could explain more but I will ask him to expand and then report back! Thank you for all the help!!

I'm surprised that your farrier thinks that shoes will exaggerate her hock action. Why would shoes do that, unless the breakover was too far forward?

Sounds like after shoeing there are hind limb adduction issues. Is the horse base narrow behind?

Quote Originally Posted by Keg-A-Bacchus View Post
    Another odd question! My mare has 4 white socks with feathers. If POSSIBLE...does one of these products NOT dye her legs if it pours over? I just treated for thrush and her socks are now green from the thrush meds pouring down the hoof as well as getting onto my hand and then me picking up her next leg. I used iodine then to treat it per my farrier and now they are red and green. She's like a Xmas pony! Are any of these products clear and not staining? It's quite a process to get the product on without letting it drip onto her. If this is a long-term thing I'd love something I didn't have to worry so much about staining!
    I think you have/know the answer to your problem. How bad/deep is the thrush you are treating?
    Charlie Piccione
    Natural Performance Hoof Care