The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Dodge truck owners-bought the truck! update!

Spin off from another thread of mine...

I am looking at a 2011 Dodge 2500 diesel. Drove it last night and liked the way it felt, although I did not have it hitched to my trailer, just test driving it around locally and on the highway.

It has a lower total weight capacity than the like ford 250 by around 2,500lbs. I don't think this will be that big an issue for me as I have a 2+1 and no plans to go up to anything bigger.

Do you like the way your Dodges pull? Versus other brands you have tried? What problems have you had with them? Motor? Transmission? Body?
    Last edited by Blume Farm; Jul. 18, 2013 at 10:04 PM.
    Read about my time at the Hannoveraner Verband Breeders Courses:
    http://blumefarm.com/hannoveranercourse2011.html
    http://blumefarm.com/hannoveranercourse2012.html

I have a 2007 Dodge 2500 diesel. Love it, haven't had any problems with it. I pull a two horse trailer and live at 4500 feet elevation, routinely hauling up into the mountains around here, and you'd never even know the trailer's back there. I've hauled my friend's three horse, too, and there's no discernible difference.

I would buy this truck again in a heartbeat. I may never sell it, to be honest. It rides like a truck, make no mistake, but I like that.

Dodge trucks are the ultimate workhorses. They are very easy to work on (not that you'll ever need to) and the cummins really is the ultimate diesel engine. They last forever and ever, you can't kill 'em. They seem to hold their resale value better than most, at least in my neck of the woods.

The ONLY problem I've ever experienced is that sometimes my passenger window control doesn't always work, my friend also has a one of that year model that has the same issue, but I don't consider that a real turn off.

"Pat the horse; kick yourself" - Carl Hester

We have a 2007 Crew cab Super Duty 3500 dually with the Cummins that pulls our 4 horse steel trailer fully loaded without a problem from Wisc to Fla.
    My husband is a retired OTR driver and he said that it is a semi in a small truck body. He loves to haul with it. We do have a 6 speed manual.

I don't own one (not a Chrysler person) but have driven quite a few at work. The biggest thing with vehicles is often maintenance, so really look for details of care such as a full fluid overflow reservoir, condition of plastic parts, electrical connectors, crawl under and look for any leaks or non-surface rust.

The problems I have had with the Dodges are (1) cracked engine block at 100k, (2) transmission failure at around 80k, and (3) front end failure, i.e. suspension/steering components. These were late 90's, early 00's models, so I hope there are improved components since then.

I always strongly recommend people investigate the diesel forums, they are a SUPER source of info and knowledge, like COTH can be for horses. Yes, we do tow, but the real gearheads can give you much better and more objective info on the trucks themselves.

1 members found this post helpful.

I love my Dodge diesel (2000, 150k miles) and it is a tank. I think they are known for having transmissions go early, and I had mine replaced at around 90k. My other complaint is that it seems louder compared to other diesels. When I lived in the 'burbs, I always felt awkward roaring down the street at 3am to go to a horse show. My best friend had a very similar in age & mileage Ford and I was always surprised at how "sick" hers sounded and how long it took to turn over when starting. But I can't make general statements on one truck of each make, and should I need to go shopping again, I would consider all makes and models.

Quote Originally Posted by Angelico View Post
    The ONLY problem I've ever experienced is that sometimes my passenger window control doesn't always work, my friend also has a one of that year model that has the same issue, but I don't consider that a real turn off.
    Huh. Me too. I can roll it down, but not up.

We have 3 Dodge 4WD 2500 diesels...1997, 2004 and just got a 2012.

Well over 200K on the '97, 189K on the '04. We use them to snowplow, pull a 3 horse trailer, and drive as everyday vehicles. All are automatics. Used but not abused.

We love the way they drive, great pulling trailer. No more repairs than any other heavy front end vehicle bouncing over our northeast PA roads.

We bought new, but if buying pre-owned would have truck vetted just as a precaution.

Each of the truck manufacturers have pluses and minuses. Personally I believe how any vehicle lasts depends on the operator use and maintenance.

edited to add...used of course for all those other horse and farm items...hauling loads of hay and pallets of bedding, wood, brush, etc etc

Got a 2008 3500 Dually...works great, tows like nothing is behind me. I've been very happy with the truck. Great mileage just chugging down the road if I'm going 60 or less on the highway (23 MPG).

Love the exhaust brakes too, good for the loooong hils.
    "Sic Gorgiamus Allos Subjectatos Nunc"

We have a 2007 4 WD super crew cab 2500 diesel. I LOVE it. We had a 1999 F250 7.3 L, but it had been abused by the previous owner.

The truck tows incredibly well. I love the jake brake as well! Saves the truck and trailer brake on the hills.

I would take the vehicle to your mechanic and get them to do a once over.

We love our 2010 diesel Dodge. Being a bit girlie here, but love the back-up camera - I can hitch up in one go - love the heated steering wheel, and love the 'tow' mode for hills to save the breaks.

250 is more than you need, but a lot of people up here have the 350 because they avoid the luxury tax.
    Proud member of People Who Hate to Kill Wildlife clique

I have a 2008 Ram 2500 6.7L Cummins. I bought it about a year and a half ago along with my 2 + 1 Sundowner trailer. The empty weight on my trailer is about 10,000 pounds and with gear and 3 horses I imagine I haul around 14,000 pounds. I bought the whole setup when I was on the east coast specifically to drive out here to the west coast (literally all the way across the country, CT to WA). I LOVE this truck!! However, I haven't ever hauled with anything else so I can't speak from a comparison perspective. It tows my trailer fully loaded up and down passes like nothing is behind it. I love the exhaust brake as it really saves the truck/trailer brakes on most hills (didn't have enough stopping power going down some of the steep passes).

That all being said, this truck has had it's issues. I bought it used from Carmax and they offered a 60 day warranty and that was honestly the best thing I ever did. It had about 68,000 miles on it when I bought it. The night I drive it home, the check engine light came on. I found out the next day that the turbo had gone out but it was still under the 5 year/100,000 mile powertrain warranty so dodge had to do that $1800 job for free. While it was at the dodge dealer, I had them check through the rest of the truck and they said that multiple things in the front end suspension needed replacing. I took it back to Carmax and they basically replaced my entire front end for free as it was covered under their warranty. I got it back a couple of days later and realized some of the lights in the instrument panel were off and so I took it back and they replaced the entire module. After getting it back that time, the upper computer (the one over your head) had some backlights out and I took it back and they replaced that as apparently they couldn't just replace buttons.

On my way out west I had a planned stop for a little over a week in Indiana and between CT and IN I had noticed some vibrations at about 60mph while hauling. I took it to the dealer in IN and they replaced the rear U-joint. I towed the rest of the way to WA with absolutely no issues whatsoever.

After being out here in the rainy PNW for about 10 months, I noticed a leak from the button on the A-pillar Oh-$#it handle. I chose to ignore it and several days later my battery was deader than dead. I replaced both batteries as they needed replacing and the next time it rained, sure enough, it happened again. I took it to the shop to find out that the sunroof is leaking and draining down the A-pillar and dripping onto a computer down there and shorting it out. This was causing the batteries to drain and fuses to blow. I am told that I just need to have the sunroof re-sealed and the problem should be resolved. I am in the process of doing that and it looks like it's going to be around $500 after it's all said and done.

I am told that the front end wearing out like mine did, is pretty par for the course as diesels go so that didn't really bother me. Even with it's issues, I love the truck. It tows so well and it's pretty good looking on top of it all.

A couple of things to note that I have learned through owning and researching my beast. If you buy the Heavy Duty diesel (the 6.7L engine), the only difference between the 2500 and the 3500 is one leaf spring in the rear suspension (this is assuming that you aren't comparing the 2500 to the 3500 dually). So, if you are at all thinking about buying the 3500 that isn't the dually, don't do it. You would be money ahead to buy the 2500 and then get the extra leaf spring for about $200-$300 and have it installed. I have also been told that air bags are the way to go. This is on my list of things to get added to the truck when money allows. Also when I'm due for tires (will be a while since it had new ones when I bought it) I will be getting 10 ply tires instead of the 8 plies I have now. The 8 plies tend to get a little squatty when I hitch up my trailer (nothing unsafe, just not the best).

In any case if I had it to do over again, I would buy the same truck in a heartbeat, even knowing all of the issues I've had. That was pretty long but I figured more information was better than less. Feel free to PM me if you have any questions.
    "Be the change you want to see in the world."
    ~Mahatma Gandhi

1 members found this post helpful.

Just got home and bought the truck! It is a 2011 2500 diesel Laramie. It is very swanky inside with all the leather, GPS, mega cab, etc. It only has 25K miles and carfax showed it was well maintained by single owner. Nicest vehicle I have ever owned If I can only figure out how to manage all the bells and whistles of the dash board!

I just hope it has less problems than the F250 6.0 that I traded in. I bought the extended warranty just in case. Previous truck was a total lemon. Now I have to add the gooseneck hitch, running boards and bed liner. Can't wait to haul with it to see the difference but just regular road driving it is much, much nicer.

Congrats on your new toy

I can pretty much guarantee that you won't have the troubles with the Dodge that you had with the 6.0!!!!! Worst engine Ford ever made.

Yes, maintenance is expensive but it is worth it. I kept my last truck for 23 years, maintained by Truck Guy and it never gave me a minute's worth of anxiety and it worked hard for a living. It was a Ford 7.3.

I feel definitely a bit above my station driving the new Dodge, camera, tow mode and heated steering wheel and all.
    Proud member of People Who Hate to Kill Wildlife clique

Hahahha, I'm a hardcore F250 lover, have a 7.3L as well, but I do agree with foxy that even the Dodge will be better than the 6.0L!!!! Congrats on your new baby, I hope it will treat you well!

Quote Originally Posted by Blume Farm View Post
    Just got home and bought the truck! It is a 2011 2500 diesel Laramie. It is very swanky inside with all the leather, GPS, mega cab, etc. It only has 25K miles and carfax showed it was well maintained by single owner. Nicest vehicle I have ever owned If I can only figure out how to manage all the bells and whistles of the dash board!

I just hope it has less problems than the F250 6.0 that I traded in. I bought the extended warranty just in case. Previous truck was a total lemon. Now I have to add the gooseneck hitch, running boards and bed liner. Can't wait to haul with it to see the difference but just regular road driving it is much, much nicer.
    That sounds a lot like the truck I bought last fall but mine is a 2012. It has convinced me to sell my 2003 diesel Excursion. I LOVE my new truck!

Sophie's new ride!

https://plus.google.com/photos/10340...99668134314917
    I wasn't always a Smurf
    Penmerryl's Sophie RIDSH
    "I ain't as good as I once was but I'm as good once as I ever was"
    The ignore list is my friend. It takes 2 to argue.

You will love the non-stinky diesel. I LOVE that about my diesel. LOVE IT. It smells cleaner than a gas car.

I also have leather seats too. Just wipe them off every now and then to get the dirt off.

I went from a 2002gas to a 2011 diesel, and yeah, swanky is the right word. Wee ooo, nice.

My truck is not the same "breed" as yours. (IOW mine is a different mfg).

Update! I have had my new-to-me truck now for a couple of weeks. Hauled with it this past weekend and it was wonderful! My two previous trucks were diesel F-250 (one a 7.3L and the other a 6.0L). I have to say this Dodge is great and not at all what others have experienced.

1) it is quieter than my Fords. I can go to a drive-thru window and NOT turn off the engine to order

2) Hauls like a dream. Made me nervous almost this weekend how smoothly it pulled as I truly could not even feel the trailer behind me.

3) So much more comfortable than my Fords.

Things I miss about the Ford was you sit higher in that truck so I thought visibility was a bit better. However, in my old F-250 6.0 there was a HUGE blind spot between the windshield and side window (the frame where the handle is). The Dodge has a much smaller frame there so that part is better.

I just hope this truck holds up better than my F-250 6.0 engine. That truck just really turned me off of Ford and poorly they handled the problems. Not sure Dodge will be any better but I sure do like how this truck hauls/ drives better! I will certainly be a convert if this truck lasts better that my Ford 6.0.

Love, love my 2012 3500...

My 1996 Dodge 2500 has over 320,000 miles on it, still going strong with the new owner. Original engine, original transmission.

I drove a 1998 Dodge 2500 extended cab that I bought brand new for 10 years and it was still running great when I sold it with 225,000+ miles on it. How ever I can't say enough about the dual wheeled 2005 3500 that I bought to replace it. I pulls so much better than the single wheeled 2500 that I will never go back as long as I'm pulling horse trailers. Right now I pull a 3 horse slant load with and 8'-0 short wall and even with 3 horses in I can set the cruise and go. Now if I get into some elevations changes I'll turn off the cruise but the dual wheel really makes a difference. This is my second Dodge and 4th for the family as my son is on his second Dodge 3500. My trainer drives nothing but Dodge and he drives back and fourth to MS from LA every week. Congrats on your purchase