The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Nope, just don't want someone getting going on making a vehicle that is not going to work as a chariot. She would be better off using an Ox Cart as a basic design, less changes needed! I see a LOT of folks get led off track with Driving things, harness, vehicles, horse of the wrong style because of poor help or information given them by others who also are NOT very driving knowledgeable. Are you a long-time Driver with equines that gets out to drive often? Own or have used, helped others with a variety of vehicles? Just seeing the chariot take a BIG left turn AWAY from how chariots work, using caissons as the start point.

Building carriages of any design is "not as easy as it looks", ESPECIALLY if you have not got a good knowledge base in carriage design. How many carriages by good name makers have you laid hands on, looked over up close and personal? If you went shopping, MSU would probably sell you that Engineer designed and built chariot they haven't used in years. It LOOKS like a chariot, but to an experienced eye, that is about the ONLY part that is similar to those antiques.

I bet if OP went to Martin's Auction for a couple visits, one of the various chariots someone built themselves, will show up to bid on. You can ALWAYS find "concept carriages" there, which someone made without any idea of HOW a carriage is SUPPOSED to look, drive, weigh, etc., etc. They are glaringly obvious in the lineup of manufacture made vehicles beside them.

Didn't mean to take over the thread, but without some visuals, explaining things, how could she understand what I was saying? Your pictures of toys were NOT making it happen. In the end, she will do as she pleases, doesn't matter what I say. If she wants a chariot that much, then she will find a way to get one, either buy it, make it or have one made. She may or may not get a good chariot in the end, listening to everyone's advice. I would be doing a lot more "studying up" on chariots to gain knowledge, before I laid out my money for anything.

1 members found this post helpful.

Love the assumptions goodhors, but I'm not a she! (though I'm the first to admit I'm not exactly the most masculine gent either).

Where is Martin's Auction? I may need to make a road trip at some point. As far as local carriages, all that's up here are the commercial carriage companies downtown with their vis-a-vis carriages, some mini folks with easy entries, me with my road cart, and up island there's a fellow with Newfoundland ponies and a few different vehicles. Not a whole heck of a lot up this way, it's very much a hunter/jumper dominated island, with some dressage queens and a smattering of western folk thrown in.

I'm really glad I found CotH, it's become an indispensable resource, and I appreciate everyone's input. I'm still quite new to driving myself, and have slowly gotten more integrated in the island's driving community, so it's nice to have somewhere to interact with drivers from elsewhere as well.

Sorry to guess your gender wrong. Sorry to have added to this thread going downhill from your original question. Can't resist sharing knowledge!

Martins Carriage Auction is held spring and fall in Lebanon, Pennsylvania, where you can see and touch some of the most beautiful vehicles ever designed and sold, along with many others of more common styles. Most are American, but some European vehicles come thru at times. They may or may not be in good condition, because almost anything animal-powered, gets sold thru Martins. Antiques, unique, modern, Wagons, Fire Equipment, vehicle "kits" made of a pile of old/new parts, carts, 4-wheelers of every description, trade hands during the sales.

Martins also sells every kind of item related to Carriage Driving, lamps, clothing, whips, harness, hitch posts, foot warmers, picnic baskets, stable items, thru the sales, so you can fit out your choice of vehicle with the correct accessories.

You never know what kind of surprises will show up at one of their Sales. One person's junk is another person's treasure.

http://www.martinauctioneers.com/

Derail my threads any time! I'm always open to learning something new and hearing a different opinion And no worries on the gender thing, it happens all the time (long complicated story that I won't get into in this thread, haha)

I've always wanted to visit Boston, so may need to coordinate a trip out that way with a visit to PA and an auction! Thanks for the info

I was thinking Martins also puts on a west coast auction- I just checked their site and they are trying to pull one together-
    http://www.martinauctioneers.com/auc...0%26nojava%3D0

This thread got me interested, so I started mucking around on Google, trying to find more on chariot racing...

What I found was that I got better results looking for "Cutter horse racing" than "chariot racing", though "Modern chariot horse racing" is good, too.
    Lots of images under "Cutter horse racing" as well.
    Found a facebook page for the World Champion Cutter and Chariot Racing association: https://www.facebook.com/pages/World...49525888415860
    And this link: http://www.intermountainhorseracing.com/chairiots.php
    And then I found this blog with lots of pictures and info (I had no idea the mini folks did chariots!): http://toadhillminis.blogspot.com/search/label/Chariots

Finally found a picture showing what I have in mind (only with shafts for a 14.1hh draft/morgan, not a mini, haha)

http://www.9wsyr.com/media/ugc/17/1/...8/Original.jpg
    Curious about Trans* issues? Feel free to ask!
    Saving Pennies To Get My Own Canoe

that video, plus the soundtrack from World Of Warcraft (and a splash of Pirates of the Caribbean) was the inspiration behind our want for a pair of chariots, actually! Coach's fat little fjord and my little percheron/morgan, nothing nearly as fast/sharp turned as the guys in the video, but still a lot of fun for an event like the fair or the horse-a-paloozas!
    Curious about Trans* issues? Feel free to ask!
    Saving Pennies To Get My Own Canoe

Might want to contact Bob Giles in Florida. He and a Caspian Breeder were on here years ago and put together some demo drives with chariot like vehicles.

Biggest problem is what are you going to do with this demo to make it interesting. Part of the flash with Chariots is careening about at great speed leaving rooster tails of dust in your wake and multiple horses out front. The harness for a real one is not your normal harness with a neck yoke bearing the weight.

I would think you could do as well with a 'trail' type obstacle class with big flashy obstacles as a chariot.

Think about putting one wheel in a hula hoop on the ground and spinning a circle keeping the wheel in the hoop.

or how about setting a square with flags at each corner. Could do figure 8s and all sorts of figures through the flags. Make the flags long and narrow (1 foot wide and 4 foot long, the length going down the pole) and they should flutter in not much breeze.

You could show backing prowess by backing into a knockdown pole or drive into a t, turn into one arm, back into the other and drive out the way you came in

Could even add a bit of comedy if you set up a simple pulley on a pole over a barrel, you drive by, pull the string and lift out - something silly or that goes with your patter

All should be a quick set up/break down and would show more driving skill than just driving a chariot around - I'd think a crowd would like it, especially if you do a good patter behind.

Think Gamblers choice and just use the equipment you have vs something that doesn't have much to do with anything in your area.

Just a thought