The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789 LastLast

Oh my goodness, she's so tiny.

Her condition is rather curious given that she's been dewormed and somewhat cared for. The condition of her weight and her fur make me think she has worms or something but it's hard to say.

I'm so SO glad someone has taken her under their wing. Best of luck to you and please, please update us!

Quote Originally Posted by katyb View Post
    She's super cute and sweet, and happily eating hay in the barn. She is tiny - a mini, not a pony, I'd think.

http://i1088.photobucket.com/albums/...pse632b7af.jpg

http://i1088.photobucket.com/albums/...psb8c68f8b.jpg
    Clicking on that first picture link caused my antiviral to detect some malware, please be careful.

Quote Originally Posted by RubyTuesday View Post
    Clicking on that first picture link caused my antiviral to detect some malware, please be careful.
    I have found Photobucket to be full of viruses for quite some time now. I do not click on any Photobucket links anymore.
    Equus Keepus Brokus

She is pretty small, but that's my 6'6", 14-year-old son.
    That puts it into perspective better-she looks no bigger than a dog beside him! Hope she's doing well today.
    "Those who know the least often know it the loudest."

1 members found this post helpful.

14 years old and 6'6"? Wow, 19.5 hh - how tall should he top out at?

StG

She's doing fine; she sure is easy. She had about 30 minutes of pasture time earlier today. She is absolutely oblivious to my horses, and they are not interested in her either. That's kind of funny. We've had several fosters, and they usually run and call during the isolation period.

http://i1088.photobucket.com/albums/...ps363a3a50.jpg

Who knows? He has just barely passed his dad up, and I have a brother who is about an inch taller, but nobody has quit growing at 14. His horse is still carrying him fine, but his legs do dangle.

http://i1088.photobucket.com/albums/...ps0442b013.jpg

3 members found this post helpful.

She's doing fine; she sure is easy. She had about 30 minutes of pasture time earlier today. She is absolutely oblivious to my horses, and they are not interested in her either. That's kind of funny. We've had several fosters, and they usually run and call during the isolation period.

http://i1088.photobucket.com/albums/...ps363a3a50.jpg

Who knows? He has just barely passed his dad up, and I have a brother who is about an inch taller, but nobody has quit growing at 14. His horse is still carrying him fine, but his legs do dangle.

http://i1088.photobucket.com/albums/...ps0442b013.jpg

She looks long legged for a mini? I bet all she is interested in is food not other horses. We look forward to updates and pictures.

I think she looks so long legged for a mini, because she has no body. Poor girl... I hope she pulls through ok and turns into a tubby little mini in no time . I agree though that she looks like a mini.

She is pretty small, but that's my 6'6", 14-year-old son.

Yikes. Withhold the milk from that one, he needs to stop!
    COTH's official mini-donk enabler

"I am all for reaching out, but in some situations it needs to be done with a rolled up news paper." Alagirl

Love hearing she is doing well. But I can't wait to get my paws on her. She probably thinks she has died on gone to heaven.
    To ride a horse is to borrow freedom.

Quote Originally Posted by dappled View Post
    Oh my goodness, she's so tiny.

Her condition is rather curious given that she's been dewormed and somewhat cared for. The condition of her weight and her fur make me think she has worms or something but it's hard to say.
    I hope it is not something internal like an organ condition or cancer of some sort.
    Save Schrodinger's Cat!!!

When dealing w/ neglected critters, often the owners will SAY they were wormed but maybe not really wormed- I always take that comment w/ a grain of salt and then plan on worming as needed. Same w/ teeth and shots.
    Unless you see it in writing assume it AIN'T so.

Absolutely. Obviously, these folks aren't trustworthy. I have a Horse Haven foster at my place as well; I have plenty of rehab experience, and access to the best brains in the area. I'll follow their protocol with this one as well.

2 members found this post helpful.

Katyb,

i have four coupons for free bags of Triple Crown feed that my air fern is not going to need, and I'm in Knoxville. I would be more than happy to donate them to this little cutie's rehab. If you'd like them, PM me your mailing address or an idea of how I can get them to you.

Hoping the little mite is doing better today than she was yesterday.
    Katyb, thank you again for getting her outta that place.

Poor kid- she is so lucky you all could help her. She doesn't look like a mini, despite her size, she looks like a well-bred Shetland. I recently took on a 2yo unbroken unhandled Shetland, and he's been a real joy to work with. She'll blossom with proper care, and be a great pony.

She is going to be really easy, I think. She had a good day. My niece took her on a very short walk, and she's had her hour of pasture time. She is a hoover, so I think she'll gain pretty quickly. My niece will be thrilled if she is a Shetland. That was her first guess. She has absolutely tiny legs and feet - like teacup sized.

Have you measured her to see how tall she is out of curiosity? Glad she adjusting nicely. Can't wait to bring her home, I think she is going to fit right in.
    To ride a horse is to borrow freedom.

Thanks for helping her. You already know this but you'll want to keep her out of the pastures where other horses graze until you investigate re parasites. Looking at her , I'd be shocked if she didn;t have a heavy parasite load. A fecal is a great thing to do right off the bat because it won't bother her at all but will help you understand what is going on. In the meantime I'd keep her out of pastures where other horses graze.

We have a separate "isolation" pasture for our fosters, so that's no problem. Since it rains a foot a week here, and is otherwise 90*, decontamination isn't too much of a problem. Her poops look great.

I have a call in to my vet regarding deworming advice (want to be careful just in case they did deworm on Monday), getting a Coggins (up at night worrying about that one), etc. Not sure how much the dribbles added up to, or if that is supported. I'm already caring for my Horse Haven foster on my dime, so I don't think dh will go for funding another.

We have a separate "isolation" pasture for our fosters, so that's no problem. Since it rains a foot a week here, and is otherwise 90*, decontamination isn't too much of a problem. Her poops look great.

I have a call in to my vet regarding deworming advice (want to be careful just in case they did deworm on Monday), getting a Coggins (up at night worrying about that one), etc. Not sure how much the dribbles added up to, or if that is supported. I'm already caring for my Horse Haven foster on my dime, so I don't think dh will go for funding another.
    Good question on the dribbles. Who paid for her? I think most "dribblers" ( me included) expected money left over after purchase would go towards health/welfare needs like vet care, coggins, teeth, shots, etc.

Maybe Equislover can give us an update on dribbles and if more is needed.