The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Omeprazole or TUMS for short term use

Next week, we head out for a 10 hour drive to AZ for nearly a week. Thankfully Bailey is a good traveler, has a nice cushy trailer to ride in, plenty of hay in his face, and a buddy. But, I'd like to protect his stomach as much as I can during the trip and while we're out there.

Local feed stores sell UlcerGard for $45 a tube. Seriously. Not gonna happen.

Since this is about prevention, would extra strength TUMS suffice? Or would I be better off getting OTC omeprazole or ranitidine?

For something like that, if I didn't have access to generic omeprazole, I would do ranitidine, full dose every 8 hours starting 48 hours before the trip and stopping it when we got back home. TUMS will only buffer stomach acid for an hour or two at the most.
    Click here before you buy.

3 members found this post helpful.

Agreed, Tums only buffers for a very short time.
    Tums = Calcium Carbonate, which is the ingredient in many ulcer prevention supplements. It wouldn't hurt, and may help SOME, but it won't last long enough to protect the horse for the whole trip. You could maybe re-dose at rest stops.

I use crushed tums in my electrolyte mix that I syringe for endurance rides to help buffer acid and help the harsh elytes not cause irritation. The dose for that is 10 extra strength tablets.

You might consider feeding a quality ulcer prevention supplement, as many have other beneficial ingredients beyond the calcium carbonate.

I'm the odd man out here. I'd buy two tubes of Ulcergard which would provide 8 days of known protection during the 10 day trip. For the last two days I'd dose with TUMS. Bottom line, you would be spending about $100 to prevent a bigger and more expensive problem/treatment.

It's too late for you now but I get my Ulcergard from Valley Vet when they run their $27 a tube special a couple times during the year. Regular price is like $33 per tube. Anyway, I keep a couple tubes around just for situations like yours.

Good luck and enjoy AZ!

The ranitidine should work great as Deltawave says but it may simply be easier to suck it up this time and get the Ulcergard. In the future, Pop Rocks are cheaper and you can keep them on hand for trips such as this.

Have a safe trip!

My vet has a source of ranitidine that is Rx because it is
    high concentration. A bottle of 250 tablets costs $13 from
    this vet and dosage is one tablet per 100 lbs so 10-12 tablets
    for an average sized horse for each of two or three times
    daily. Enough to get you through a trip easily.
    Robin from Dancing Horse Hill
    Elmwood, Wisconsin

Two of the reasons I like some of the alternatives to omeprazole for a trip that's a week long:

1. It takes a couple of days for the drug to get rolling and to slow down acid production, so a week's trip is really 9-10 days of therapy, which is expensive if you're using the brand name.

2. 10 days of omeprazole is not long enough for me to worry a lot about rebound acid hypersecretion, especially if it's tapered, but it's getting close to my personal threshold of about 2 weeks where I don't like to stop it abruptly.

YMMV.
    Click here before you buy.

Clarksdale, MS--the golden buckle on the cotton belt

I know this has been addressed before, but what is the weaning schedule when the horse has been on the full treatment dose of pop rocks for the full twenty-eight days?

Quote Originally Posted by deltawave View Post
    Two of the reasons I like some of the alternatives to omeprazole for a trip that's a week long:

1. It takes a couple of days for the drug to get rolling and to slow down acid production, so a week's trip is really 9-10 days of therapy, which is expensive if you're using the brand name.

2. 10 days of omeprazole is not long enough for me to worry a lot about rebound acid hypersecretion, especially if it's tapered, but it's getting close to my personal threshold of about 2 weeks where I don't like to stop it abruptly.

YMMV.
    "I'm a lumberjack, and I'm okay."
    Thread killer Extraordinaire

Quote Originally Posted by vineyridge View Post
    I know this has been addressed before, but what is the weaning schedule when the horse has been on the full treatment dose of pop rocks for the full twenty-eight days?
    I am doing a half dose for a week and the quarter dose for another 10 days. Figure that will cover things, and works well with the compounded product I have.

If you have time for 2nd day shipping, then you can order Ulcergard at $27.50/tube online at Allivet right now. Even with $10-15 for expedited shipping option, it is still a big savings over your local price and will get you 3 tubes (or 12 preventative doses) for less than $100. Easy-peasy once-a-day administration is real perk….

Ranitidine would be a lot cheaper and just as effective, most likely, if you can deal with crushing up and dissolving a bunch of tablets, and dosing the horse every 8 hours or so for the entire trip.