The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by katnetzler View Post
    Good news, Natalie, this already exists! You can check out our digital subscription details here: http://chronofhorse.com/subscribe
    Is anyone else getting "Access Denied" whenever they click on a bunch of these Links?

3 members found this post helpful.

We're experiencing some server traffic overload at the moment (imagine that!) and the tech people are working on it. Sorry for any inconvenience!

Molly

I personally think maybe we should just wait and see what happens before assuming the guy is going to jump right in and start micromanaging what we can and can't say on the BB. After all, isn't he a pretty busy guy? I mean, I can only imagine a day in the life of......so just maybe he won't have much time to spend lounging around in his jockey shorts on the couch with a beer and his heavy editorial hand swiping all unfavorable posts into the trash. Maybe he is a little too busy for that kind of thing and our board will be left to the mods the way it is now.
    Before I rush to claim I'm jumping ship or cancelling anything, I think I'll give the guy a chance.
    Just sayin'.

7 members found this post helpful.

I appreciate all of the feedback/commentary and understand the importance of both the magazine and this forum to the equestrian community. I would love to convey the following in reference to some themes in the posts;

I believe in Freedom of Speech. As long as the guidelines of the Forums are respected, there will not be any censorship. I will never remove or ask anyone to remove any content or commentary critical of me personally or of any initiatives of WEF, WEP, PBIEC, or any other entity or event in which I am involved.

I believe in the editorial integrity of the Chronicle. It is a critical component of its value and will stay intact. I will not review (nor would I ever expect a member of this editorial team to ask me to review) any coverage of any articles in which any of my entities are involved. The most important element of this purchase was the team at the Chronicle, who I believe are the best in the industry. Anyone who is familiar with Beth Rasin and her editorial team should know that they will not compromise their standards or tolerate anything less than full editorial control of their stories. The best way to lose great people is to not respect their professional standards. I have committed to them that they will have “free rein” in coverage of any and all stories. I am confident that they will report honestly and fairly all activities and events. I expect nothing less.

I am committed to the print publication and we will be investing in expanding circulation.

I am hopeful that you will give us the opportunity to earn your respect and confidence. Actions speak louder than words. I am confident we will deliver.

27 members found this post helpful.

Where they've got all Hell for a basement

Quote Originally Posted by MarkBellissimo View Post

I am hopeful that you will give us the opportunity to earn your respect and confidence. Actions speak louder than words. I am confident we will deliver.
    Thank you for taking the time to address this, Mark. I can understand the skepticism from some (I mean, we are horse people) but am looking forward to new initiatives and features to come and plan on keeping an open mind about this until something tells me otherwise.

Had I known about this impending sale, I would never of renewed last month. I think it will be all about Welly World.

Quote Originally Posted by adhock View Post
    Molly, in all deference to the editorial content of the link you posted: Sounds like a lot of PR spin to me.

The editor/publisher wrote that? Incomplete sentences? The Ohrstrom family (singular) then treated as plural later in the sentence? She was worried that Bellissimo might not be on the up-n-up so she "did some Googling" and found a story about the guy's character on his high school hockey team, called it research and is now reassured?

COTH, really.
    The armchair saddler
    Politically Pro-Cat

11 members found this post helpful.

Warren Buffett invests in a lot of different businesses that have the "experts" scratching their heads at times, so I don't find MB's purchase any different, except he is actively involved in the horse business. All I've seen here is a bunch of conspiracy theories as to how this is going to affect the magazine. Why don't we wait and see before we throw MB under the bus. Would you rather have seen the magazine cease to exist? Obviously the magazine was for sale and Bellissimo purchased it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ruby G. Weber View Post
    I find it curious that a successful business person such as MB would invest in a niche print periodical in a time when many such stalwart publications - with significantly larger circulation - are struggling to stay in print.

As other have noted, time will tell.

4 members found this post helpful.

Wow, he's buying all the Ohrstroms' stuff. First Laura Kraut and Nick Skelton, now this.

1 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by JUMPERROUND View Post
    Had I known about this impending sale, I would never of renewed last month. I think it will be all about Welly World.
    Why don't you wait and see before deciding you shouldn't have renewed? While I think this ownership could create a conflict of interest, every one seems to be panicking prematurely. A subscription works out to $1.50 per issue, a real bargain IMO. Surely it's worth while to keep an open mind until we see what direction the new ownership takes. Besides, COTH once let me cancel my subscription before it was due to expire, I have always found the staff to be exceptionally accommodating. The alternative could be no COTH at all, a concept I find hard to imagine.

5 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by BAC View Post
    An online version has been available for quite some time.

I don't see how we can expect objective reporting about WEF and its connections considering the new ownership, despite what COTH claims. But I suppose it is better than letting the publication go bankrupt.
    It could be worse, BAC. Think of the headline; "Sheikh Mohammed bin Rashid Al Maktoum buys COTH!"

We'd have the FEI and The Ruler of Dubai to censor us (ask any Brit about his influence there).

H/H forum members have discussed the purchasing/sponsoring habits of the Sheikh in British media interests and have had great reservations about it and are hoping that he would not take an interest in H/H..

They were considering that if the Sheikh was able to purchase H/H that they would be censored. And you BET your sweet bippie they would be.

So.. Bellissimo? We'll see.. but it could be worse..

I agree skydy, that would be much worse! I think we need to give MB a chance and hope for the best. People are overacting IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by BAC View Post
    Why don't you wait and see before deciding you shouldn't have renewed?... The alternative could be no COTH at all.
    Exactly.

What's the point of buying the magazine if nothing is going to change then?

Does the purchase of the COTH include the real estate? Or is the building leased?

Default Don't be silly

Looking forward to changes. I love the Horse and Hound in Great Britain and would love to see a similar publication in the US. Good luck. PatO

Quote Originally Posted by MarkBellissimo View Post
    I appreciate all of the feedback/commentary and understand the importance of both the magazine and this forum to the equestrian community. I would love to convey the following in reference to some themes in the posts;

I believe in Freedom of Speech. As long as the guidelines of the Forums are respected, there will not be any censorship. I will never remove or ask anyone to remove any content or commentary critical of me personally or of any initiatives of WEF, WEP, PBIEC, or any other entity or event in which I am involved.

I believe in the editorial integrity of the Chronicle. It is a critical component of its value and will stay intact. I will not review (nor would I ever expect a member of this editorial team to ask me to review) any coverage of any articles in which any of my entities are involved. The most important element of this purchase was the team at the Chronicle, who I believe are the best in the industry. Anyone who is familiar with Beth Rasin and her editorial team should know that they will not compromise their standards or tolerate anything less than full editorial control of their stories. The best way to lose great people is to not respect their professional standards. I have committed to them that they will have “free rein” in coverage of any and all stories. I am confident that they will report honestly and fairly all activities and events. I expect nothing less.

I am committed to the print publication and we will be investing in expanding circulation.

Mark, thanks for addressing some of the concerns posted on this board regarding your ownership of COTH. I view this change in ownership as an opportunity to inject more resources into the leading equestrian sport publication in the country. I agree that actions speak louder than words.

Clarksdale, MS--the golden buckle on the cotton belt

Quote Originally Posted by Ruby G. Weber View Post
    Does the purchase of the COTH include the real estate? Or is the building leased?
    OH! What about the National Sporting Library?
    "I'm a lumberjack, and I'm okay."
    Thread killer Extraordinaire

Well, if the changes @ PBIEC since Bellisimo & Co. took it over are any indication of what's to come for COTH, I say bring it! Remember the days of turf in the International Ring & *gulp* no Tikki Hut?
    Topline Leather -- Bespoke, handwoven browbands & accessories customized with Swarovski crystals, gemstones, & glass seed beads. The original crystal braid & crystal spike browbands!

Polo is gone. Flat racing is reduced to a blip on the back pages. Hunting and hunt meet coverage are reduced.

The July 8th issue had An editorial response to Dennis Foster's response to the pro PETA/HSUS piece in which the editor fessed up to not even having read Ingrid Newkirk. Then 24 +/- pages of results in 4 (or so) point type.

Maybe things will get better?
    madeline
    * What you release is what you teach * Don't be distracted by unwanted behavior* Whoever waits the longest is the teacher. Van Hargis