The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results
 
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 50
  1. #21
    Join Date
    Oct. 8, 2002
    Location
    Maryland
    Posts
    9,466

    Default

    I was at a grocery store once, waiting in line, when a kid behind me commented to his mother that "that lady is dirty and stinky"

    She was mortified but it made me laugh for days. hehe
    "smile a lot can let us ride happy,it is good thing"

    My CANTER blog.


    4 members found this post helpful.

  2. #22
    Join Date
    Jul. 19, 2007
    Location
    Michigan
    Posts
    10,359

    Default

    Try working at a zoo. I was in the offices so I didn't usually go in animal-contact areas, but a tour with the Mammal curator wrecked my cute shoes (bleach step-through baths) and as far as being in a meeting with keepers...you knew when the bird people were around, let me tell you. (The flamingo enclosure smells from ten yards away. I can't see the Hilaleah Flamingos, some of whom are the zoo's birds' relatives, without thinking "That lake must stink to high heaven.") Compared to them the Children's Zoo, with the ponies and pygmy goat, was positively Febreeze-like!



  3. #23
    Join Date
    Feb. 25, 2011
    Posts
    266

    Default

    I work really close to the barn where I ride and a few summers ago I was riding during lunch (we have a shower in our gym). For some reason that day I opted not to shower since I took a late 'lunch ride' and just went back to my cube in my riding clothes and boots. I had no meetings on my calendar and only an hour or so of work left to do. Hot summer, black breeches and tall boots...

    Of course this was the day that the President of our company desperately needed my help on a project of his and decided to do a drop in at my desk and sit about one foot from me. I was mortified. He was too polite to say anything but his face look like he was sucking on a lemon. Fortunately it did not keep him from working with me again but I made sure to use the showers from then on.


    1 members found this post helpful.

  4. #24
    Join Date
    Jun. 24, 2005
    Posts
    594

    Default

    I live downtown in a highrise apartment in an urban area of a major city. So, not even kind of horsey. Every time I come home from the barn, I get in the elevator with people and I know they can smell me. I can see it in their faces. Worse, their dogs always get WAYYY too excited about sniffing my legs, and it's just entirely embarassing. The cherry on top is that some senior executives in my company live in the same building.

    Hopefully people can tell from the breeches, but unfortunately, I also live in the kind of area where there are people who wear stuff like that for fashion.

    Also, I am now hungry and want large portions of cheap breakfast foods.


    1 members found this post helpful.

  5. #25
    Join Date
    Oct. 26, 2007
    Location
    San Jose, Ca
    Posts
    5,044

    Default

    Yeah… my husband is not fond of the “horse smell” (what is wrong with him! )

    I try to be careful to change clothes, and usually take a shower (or at least wash up!) after I get back from the barn. Honestly, I don’t even smell it!

    And YES to the shoes – I keep a pair of Crocs in the car for this reason.

    Get off work, kick off heels or dress shoes, put on crocs drive to barn (hey, saves my dress shoes from getting beat up while driving as well) – wear crocks as I walk straight to the tack room, then change into barn shoes (which are WAY TOO STINKY to wear in the car) or riding boots.

    I *AM* guilty of going to the grocery store in riding gear and reeking... I try to distance myself from people when I do!



  6. #26
    Join Date
    Jan. 7, 2007
    Location
    lexington, ky
    Posts
    1,147

    Default

    Yesterday probably was the worst for me. Humid day cleaning stalls, bathing squirmy yearlings, helping a vet geld a colt in the rain..I looked like a drowned rat covered in mud and really stinky, but I wanted to get my grocery shopping done so I could go home and relax


    5 members found this post helpful.

  7. #27
    Join Date
    Sep. 11, 2011
    Location
    Area VI
    Posts
    1,751

    Default

    LOVE the stories! Keep 'em coming!!

    Yes, we finished our meal. Yes, I tipped her well. I've been a server/bartender since I could legally do so, so I know the tricks of the trade. And I agree...I highly doubt we were the worst-smelling people in that place! However...since we were the only ones, it made it more obvious, haha!!

    My town is "small" (for my state) and very rural, so barn stink (or stank, as they put it) is normal. So is seeing several people in barn attire; any combination of breeches/tall boots/paddock boots/jeans/cowboy boots/gym shorts/muck boots/etc, in the grocery store, Kmart, gas station, and especially feed stores.

    I do my best to avoid going out in public after a long day without at least a fresh shirt. And my barn shoes are definitely smelly. They don't get left inside a vehicle, ever. They get thrown in the back of the truck, haha!!



  8. #28
    Join Date
    Mar. 7, 2004
    Location
    New Zealand
    Posts
    1,157

    Default

    I live rurally, but near a very farm service oriented town. Most shops have signs at the doors: "Please remove muddy boots" and its quite normal to see someone wandering around the grocery store in their socks! I guess we should all be grateful they are wearing socks!


    5 members found this post helpful.

  9. #29
    Join Date
    Jan. 7, 2007
    Location
    lexington, ky
    Posts
    1,147

    Default

    My mother was mortified to hear that my coworkers and I went out for dinner right after work without changing our clothes. She couldn't believe that we did that. Weren't we dirty and stinky? Lol yes but this is Lexington, ky horse capital of the world where 90% of the businesses have thoroughbred in it's name lol


    3 members found this post helpful.

  10. #30
    Join Date
    Jan. 28, 2013
    Location
    Southeastern US
    Posts
    1,432

    Default

    Don't you hate it when you walk into a place in your barn shoes, after carefully wiping them, only to notice on your way out that you still left tracks behind.
    Where the short cows roam.

    War veteran


    1 members found this post helpful.

  11. #31
    Join Date
    Feb. 14, 2010
    Posts
    2,993

    Default

    My buddy that goes to the track with me always worries about this, because we usually go after doing chores. Always more to do in a day than there is time to do it, so sometimes I am just about running to the car after turning the hydrant off in the barn. I always say, it separates us REAL folks from the pretenders, the people who hide up and away from the action in the clubhouse, and the wanna-bes. The real horsepeople likely won't notice, because they smell like horses too!

    I'd rather smell like horse pee that some of those really obnoxious perfumes or worse, some of these people who have their own personal body odor! Ever stood behind somebody in a line for a mutuels clerk and had them smell like a$$, and you gotta stand there or get locked out of making a bet?!



  12. #32
    Join Date
    Feb. 14, 2010
    Posts
    2,993

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by spotted draft x filly View Post
    My mother was mortified to hear that my coworkers and I went out for dinner right after work without changing our clothes. She couldn't believe that we did that. Weren't we dirty and stinky? Lol yes but this is Lexington, ky horse capital of the world where 90% of the businesses have thoroughbred in it's name lol
    That's a fact! If they can't deal with it in Lexington, where can they?



  13. #33
    Join Date
    Feb. 14, 2010
    Posts
    2,993

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by runNjump86 View Post
    LOVE the stories! Keep 'em coming!!

    Yes, we finished our meal. Yes, I tipped her well. I've been a server/bartender since I could legally do so, so I know the tricks of the trade. And I agree...I highly doubt we were the worst-smelling people in that place! However...since we were the only ones, it made it more obvious, haha!!

    My town is "small" (for my state) and very rural, so barn stink (or stank, as they put it) is normal. So is seeing several people in barn attire; any combination of breeches/tall boots/paddock boots/jeans/cowboy boots/gym shorts/muck boots/etc, in the grocery store, Kmart, gas station, and especially feed stores.

    I do my best to avoid going out in public after a long day without at least a fresh shirt. And my barn shoes are definitely smelly. They don't get left inside a vehicle, ever. They get thrown in the back of the truck, haha!!
    Yeah, I throw on fresh clothes, mainly because I am usually soaked to the skin with sweat...but the shoes, not much help to be had there. They usually ALL wind up in the barn or out in the pens somehow.



  14. #34
    Join Date
    Feb. 14, 2010
    Posts
    2,993

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Whistler View Post
    I work really close to the barn where I ride and a few summers ago I was riding during lunch (we have a shower in our gym). For some reason that day I opted not to shower since I took a late 'lunch ride' and just went back to my cube in my riding clothes and boots. I had no meetings on my calendar and only an hour or so of work left to do. Hot summer, black breeches and tall boots...

    Of course this was the day that the President of our company desperately needed my help on a project of his and decided to do a drop in at my desk and sit about one foot from me. I was mortified. He was too polite to say anything but his face look like he was sucking on a lemon. Fortunately it did not keep him from working with me again but I made sure to use the showers from then on.
    Look at it this way: he knows now you are a "real" person and not a phony-baloney. Maybe he'll trust you more.



  15. #35
    Join Date
    Feb. 14, 2010
    Posts
    2,993

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by caffeinated View Post
    I was at a grocery store once, waiting in line, when a kid behind me commented to his mother that "that lady is dirty and stinky"

    She was mortified but it made me laugh for days. hehe
    I probably would have said, "Yeah? When was the last time you changed your diaper, small fry?"



  16. #36
    Join Date
    May. 25, 2012
    Posts
    520

    Default

    I knew DH was a keeper when we went out on a date on a Saturday AFTER he met me at a show, rode back to the barn in the truck,helped unload the horses and equipment at the barn, and then went out to dinner, me in breeches and boots and that been up since 5AM been in the sun all day horse show stink, complete with helmet hair.

    Fortunately I live in an area where grubby people in boots and barn gear are the norm.

    The only thing he and DD truly object to is post clipping - something about the combo of horse hair, sweat, diesel or kerosene and WD-40 just doesn't work for them.



  17. #37

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by phoebetrainer View Post
    I live rurally, but near a very farm service oriented town. Most shops have signs at the doors: "Please remove muddy boots" and its quite normal to see someone wandering around the grocery store in their socks! I guess we should all be grateful they are wearing socks!
    I love New Zealand! Wish I could relocate.



  18. #38

    Default

    I work in the financial services industry. One day I had a client with me in my car while traveling to a meeting. The clients sniffs a couple of times and states "your car smells horsey!" Fortunately, his wife rides so it's wasn't a big deal.


    1 members found this post helpful.

  19. #39
    Join Date
    Apr. 27, 2008
    Posts
    2,136

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by runNjump86 View Post
    ... Then it hits us. ITS US. ...
    I laughed so hard! Where IS that terrible smell coming from???

    I have become guilty of running straight into town for errands after hours at the barn, in high heat much of the time. After a short ride in the car with the a/c blowing on me I feel quite dry and refreshed. After I park at the store/shopping, as I'm getting out of the car and noticing other store patrons coming and going I start to have second thoughts. It's all about keeping a strategic distance from clean humans.

    I either don't notice the smell or think it's great ... but I recognize that not everyone on earth feels that way.


    1 members found this post helpful.

  20. #40
    Join Date
    Aug. 21, 2012
    Posts
    610

    Default

    Laying on a table in the emergency room after a full day on the farm for both husband and myself doctor comments....' oh ...you have horses'

    It was really my husband...he was stinking the place up....not me in my riding breeches.



Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 22
    Last Post: Mar. 24, 2011, 11:41 PM
  2. Replies: 13
    Last Post: Mar. 14, 2011, 12:42 PM
  3. All you late night COTH-ers
    By LaLuna in forum Off Course
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: Nov. 6, 2010, 07:31 AM
  4. Breeding: How late is too late?
    By ilka_tu in forum Sport Horse Breeding
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: May. 11, 2010, 05:25 PM
  5. How late is too late to body clip?
    By Boomer in forum Horse Care
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: Jan. 8, 2010, 07:02 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
randomness