The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast

I left out the part that I was so panicked to get the water out quickly--wasn't sure I could drive it like that, and I was out in a field (ie no electric power for a shop vac), I decided the best thing was to do donuts in the field in each direction with the car doors open, to slosh the water out. I know, I was acting like a crazy woman, but it actually worked!
    No detailing needed-- the lower level of the car was spotless clean , and it was summer so we were able to dry it out without any mold. But yes, I felt absolutely, completely horrible.

9 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by 2DogsFarm View Post
    Ditto.
    I cried like a baby the first time I had to light the furnace after DH died.
    TG he had left handwritten hangtags w/instructions.
    Another cause for tears, but it got the job done.

Had a GF who - when I mentioned grilling something for dinner - told me "Oh, that's DH's job"
    All I could think was "So, if DH dies you will never grill again?"
    He wasn't home.
    We did not grill dinner.

OP:
    I know you didn't ask for discussion, but a post like yours makes me go
    Get up off your arse and learn to do things.
    If I can, anyone can.
    You are right, you learn how to do stuff that typically was "HIS" domain. I would be pathetic on some stuff, because I have not HAD to do it, but I could manage thru it. Grilling, however, I don't think I would do again if something happened to Bo. There are too many good memories of family time with him grilling. Sounds really stupid, but just the idea of grilling without him makes me tear up. That is his thing.
    http://community.webshots.com/album/548368465RfewoU[/url]

She may not have changed the stars from their courses, but she loved a good man, and she rode good horses….author unknown

1 members found this post helpful.

"Get up off your arse and learn to do things" - how rude - sounds like Barcardi1, and we know what happened to her. Usually when one has been through hard times, they become more sympathetic and understanding. Sorry you had to learn to do things after loosing your DH, though.
    Proud member of People Who Hate to Kill Wildlife clique

3 members found this post helpful.

Back to Normal.. or as close as I'll ever get

Quote Originally Posted by Foxtrot's View Post
    "Get up off your arse and learn to do things" - how rude - sounds like Barcardi1, and we know what happened to her. Usually when one has been through hard times, they become more sympathetic and understanding. Sorry you had to learn to do things after loosing your DH, though.
    Sorry, rude was not intended (so hard to read emotion into posts).
    I was trying for haha wryness, but seems like I failed.

I just meant you can surprise yourself by doing things you never thought you could.

I am totally non-handy with electricity or mechanical stuff but have learned to do as much as I can before calling in the pros.
    I'll read a manual or Google for help if it means I can avoid paying someone.

Today I "repaired" my lawn tractor that overheated when I was mowing my big pasture.
    I knew enough to allow it time to cool off, but when it still would not start after almost 2h, for some reason I was inspired to check the battery.
    Sure enough all the jiggling had managed to loosen one of the bolts holding a terminal cable (if that's what the black & red wires are called) in place.
    I trudged back to the house and found a screw & bolt and trudged all the way back only to find the original screw/bolt was still in the area under the seat where the battery sits.
    D'OH!

On a different note:
    Funny, but Bacardi1's posts never seemed all that mean-spirited to me.
    Maybe after being lambasted by Thomas1 my skin has thickened?
    Anyone on the interwebz is welcome to call me Stooopid & I am welcome to not pay attention.
    *friend of bar.ka*RIP all my lovely boys, gone too soon:
    Steppin' Out 1988-2004
    Hey Vern! 1982-2009
    Cash's Bay Threat 1994-2009

2 members found this post helpful.

Track has been absent.

Wait! Is Track Mr. Bacardi1???

That would explain ever-thang.

Quote Originally Posted by katarine View Post
    Track has been absent.

Wait! Is Track Mr. Bacardi1???

That would explain ever-thang.
    LOL!

Come on now, that was just mean!

Quote Originally Posted by Mozart View Post
    Personally, I think the moderate use of shock collars in training humans should be allowed.

Quote Originally Posted by Alagirl View Post
    B12...
    Serious question - Is this a problem for a bad memory because I have a BAD problem with low B12? I've been bad enough that I had to take shots daily, then twice weekly, then once a week, etc. I am currently taking sublinguial B12.

Back to the the OP...I have a well but it doesn't supply the house so I'm no help there and I'm on septic but I live alone and it seems sufficient so no help there either.

On the division of labor thing... My SO and I actually work together. He taught me a LOT in the first year or two and now I'm at least equal, if not better, in some areas, than he is. That really expanded my confidence for house stuff.

Every time something goes wrong that he can fix, I'm hanging over his shoulder watching. Relighting a pilot light on a crappy old heater? Yep, can do that by myself now. Reinstalling an electric thermostat? Yeah, had to do that twice at my old place after he walked me through it the first time over the phone the first time.

I watch him every time we have a mechanical problem with the (atv) mule, riding mower, weedeater, chainsaw, etc. I don't know that I'd feel comfortable trying to do any of those repairs myself yet, but I'm getting there. That might carry over to troubleshooting tractor or 4-wheeler problems in the future.

I live 37 miles away from my SO so it only benefits me to learn how to fix things myself. I try to soak up as much as I can.

Now the electrical stuff he does... Nope. I don't want any part of that. It scares me.
    "Dogs are man's best friend. Cats are man's adorable little serial killer." -- theoatmeal.com

Quote Originally Posted by alabama View Post
    Now the electrical stuff he does... Nope. I don't want any part of that. It scares me.
    Amen!
    DH was showing me how to determine if an outlet was "hot" once....and melted a screwdriver.
    He never turned a hair, I was all
    Hate​ electricity, it's out to get me!
    Steppin' Out 1988-2004
    Hey Vern! 1982-2009

Apologize if I am going off tangent or going back to a previous tangent.

In re: leaving a hose running, a sweet and brilliant barn owner I know, who is a bit of a McGyver type, wired a big amber flashing light, kind of like on a utility vehicle to his hydrant, so that while the water was on, there was this big, flashing amber light on the barn wall. Kinda hard to miss. :-). I am pretty sure he did this after running his well dry, and we're in a part of the world that's notorious for shallow wells.

On the subject of cross training on the spouse's chores, DH and I are very conscious of this - I can do 85% of what he does with the tractor and heavy equipment, though I am not as accurate or deft as he is with the FEL or road blade. He has made me go though the sequence of starting and hooking up the generator multiple times. He is completely capable of cooking, cleaning, doing lau dry, etc. However, the other stuff that I do? Paying bills online, DD's school stuff, looking up phone numbers and directions? Not a shot. He had DD program his cell phone, me program his GPS, and refuses to use voicemail.

I seriously do wonder what will happen to him if I'm not around, but he shows no interest in learning.
    Last edited by McGurk; Jul. 13, 2013 at 04:51 PM.

Even if you don't do a repair yourself, you should know enough about electrical, plumbing, mechanical repairs, etc. to know if someone is doing the job right. A bad electrical job can kill you, and burn down your house and barn.

A story about my first house. I bought a ceiling fan, and light kit, to install in the bedroom. When the electrician went to hook up the wires at the outlet, he found that the person who had installed the dimmer switch had used duct tape, instead of wire nuts. I try to find out enough about anything to know if I'm being ripped off on repairs or installation.
    You can't fix stupid-Ron White

Quote Originally Posted by JanM View Post
    Even if you don't do a repair yourself, you should know enough about electrical, plumbing, mechanical repairs, etc. to know if someone is doing the job right. A bad electrical job can kill you, and burn down your house and barn.

A story about my first house. I bought a ceiling fan, and light kit, to install in the bedroom. When the electrician went to hook up the wires at the outlet, he found that the person who had installed the dimmer switch had used duct tape, instead of wire nuts. I try to find out enough about anything to know if I'm being ripped off on repairs or installation.
    Yep, you have t know how things are done.
    It didn't strike me as funny, but in retrospect, the red flags go up:
    We had Favorite's Sister's husband help us with the renovation of our new house before we moved in...I said I'd come down to help out, having seen most everything you can do to a house. He never did take me up on the offer...
    I would have realized that he didn't do what he was supposed to do, so now I have half inch gap between the bath tub and the surround - plus about 5 inches of the lip shaved off where it would drain into the wall...if the wall had been finished and the second bathroom put in, the way he had promised...
    Quote Originally Posted by Mozart View Post
    Personally, I think the moderate use of shock collars in training humans should be allowed.

2DogsFarm - I was surprized at your post since you are not on my radar as one of the snarky people - so I am sorry I took your wryness wrong. There are several people that have such a jaundiced attitude ... and I should have known you were not one of them. We had better put a lot of emoticoms out there ! I got bristly at the assumptions going on about useless women....gee, how about useless men, but nooooo, it is the women that get criticised. I'm very lucky, we have run our business here for 35 or so years and fill in for each other...mostly. We all have our strengths and our weaknesses.

So, we's still friends?
    I ignore the posts that are snark if/when it's directed at me.
    I can do that here in cyberspace, not so easy IRL.

If you & DH have made it to 35yrs in these times I'm sure your method of divvying up the workload is A-Ok for you.
    Walk in those other moccasins, eh?
    Here's to the next 35yrs!

P.S. if you leave the hose on there won't be water for ice in the beverages
    Steppin' Out 1988-2004
    Hey Vern! 1982-2009

Quote Originally Posted by alabama View Post
    That's what DH usually leaves for me. I did commercial electrical work for a couple of years and wired our house/barn because I was doing the calling for estimate thing and couldn't find somebody that didn't want to treat me like I was a stupid woman. I'm not an electrician by any means, but it I'm not scared of hot wires (careful and respectful, but not scared).

Quote Originally Posted by JanM View Post

Absolutely this! Contractors/handymen are mostly crooks. DH is a carpenter (working in a factory but different story) who will contract smallish jobs. The amount of crappy workmanship/lack of pride in one's work is unreal. If it's a messed up DIY endeavor at least it's laughable, but it's sad when folks pay good money and think they're doing good to "hire a pro" and get screwed. And he's lost track of the number of times he's told people "No, you NEVER pay me or anybody else in full until the job is complete to your satisfaction."

Quote Originally Posted by shakeytails View Post
    Absolutely this! Contractors/handymen are mostly crooks. DH is a carpenter (working in a factory but different story) who will contract smallish jobs. The amount of crappy workmanship/lack of pride in one's work is unreal. If it's a messed up DIY endeavor at least it's laughable, but it's sad when folks pay good money and think they're doing good to "hire a pro" and get screwed. And he's lost track of the number of times he's told people "No, you NEVER pay me or anybody else in full until the job is complete to your satisfaction."
    To a degree I will agree with you. I'm very fortunate in that my next door neighbor is a retired sheriff and has not only done multiple additions to his own home but does all the basic maintenance that I can't/won't do on my farm.

When I had my barn/indoor built, I hired a well known local home builder with a reputation for quality work. He subcontracted the actual barn but his crew(of subcontractors) did the roof and the gutters. Well, long story short, I had shingles off the first yr, severe loss twice that I used my homeowner's insurance and after the 2nd loss, the HO company said to completely remove all the shingles on the west side and redo. Haven't lost one of the new archetectual shingles and they were done over 10 yrs ago. The gutters have also been replaced. So much for quality work.... The barn, thankfully, was built by a gentleman that did do barns for a living. I believe he did some for Cornell as well.
    Sue
    Back in my day, we didn't have as many warning labels because people weren't so dang stupid!

Re the builders...Mike Holmes says you should have a general idea of how things should be done, so you don't get ripped off...seems to be more rip-off artists around these days then ligit contractors.
    Mr. PC and I also split up work as to our strengths and weaknesses....I could fix fence and general little repairs around, but since he can't ride and I can, I do what I do best and he does his things.Same at home; I like to cook and he's kind of a neat freak, so i always cook and he cleans up...works for us!

I must say, I am impressed at the extent of the handiness of all you gals out there - born of necessity. Makes one quail at the thought of the next generation with their lack of practical skills. The technical colleges are all full because that is where the jobs will be and good standards of living. The way the likes of my husband grew up it was what people did - sort of pioneer life style, passed on down from his dad. No Home Depot to run to. No throw away mindset, fix it and carry on.

If the tech colleges are full, then we'll be fine.

My DH is a Master Electrician who fixes ample plently hack jobs and dangerously bad work. People's lack of knowledge makes them both suspicious and incompetent. He truly dislikes doing residential stuff for just that reason- he'll fix one thing on this end of the house powered by Breaker A in the house panel and two weeks later the low voltage from the pool panel isn't working and it's all his fault. Um, that isn't logical or possible.

Quote Originally Posted by Foxtrot's View Post
    I must say, I am impressed at the extent of the handiness of all you gals out there - born of necessity.
    Born of not only necessity but the will to prove that single middle-aged (45 yrs old) women can make it on their own. When I bought my farm, I moved from a condo, but I pretty much knew what I would be getting into-at least 85% anyway. That said, my tool chest consisted of a hammer, pliers, and a regular and Phillips head screwdrivers. As I needed things, my tool chest has grown but I most certainly am very lucky to have a real carpenter etc living next door and one that is honest to boot! I do rely on him for a lot of things and he is just the bestest. He's even come over on a Sunday to install a new toilet and didn't charge me at all. He said it's 'the neighborly thing to do when an emergency arises'.

The same applies to equipment needed for the farm like mowers, tractors, drags etc. Bought as needed.

And yes, while I don't have any water troughs to overflow HERE, when I worked at a small private breeding/eventing/fox hunting farm in MD I did overflow one at least once/month until I learned to just be patient and wait. Actually learned it was a great time to sit down and relax.
    Sue
    Back in my day, we didn't have as many warning labels because people weren't so dang stupid!

Good on you msj - and fresh baked cookies go a long way to keep a neighbour neighbourly. Dang it - this thread had happily veered away from the hose problem and you have to bring it up again!