The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Does your trailer roof leak?

I have a 2+1 Four Star Trailer with a dressing room. I ADORE the trailer, except in rainy weather!!! The roof leaks horribly (the floor in the horse part will look like I hosed it out after a big rain!) Luckily the dressing room isn't as bad.
    I took it back to Ocala (300 miles round trip for me) TWICE to have the roof sealed where I purchased it...........and it's the same.
    They tried to tell me I need new "windows". (the front part of the trailer is the worse, and there are no windows there, only a ramp, high window door above it, and door on the other side.
    Now I admit this trailer is used almost daily and does not sit under a roof, but I can't imagine everyone else has this problem. Especially after it's resealed!

Do you???
    www.flyingcolorsfarm.comHome of pinto stallion Claim to Fame and his homozygous son, Counterclaim. Friend us on Facebook!https://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/Fl...04678589573428

Have you tried contacting the original manufacturer? I'd think that the company would want to help you solve the problem since 4 Star prides itself on such high quality (and high price).

no, frankly 'of course not' came to mind.
    I leave the roof vents open so I expect water to get in them...but the roof itself? No way.

Default I have the same trailer

It does not leak at all. I'd contact the manufacturer, how old is your trailer?

I have every big drop down window you can get, side ramp all the bells and whistles. Doesn't leak anywhere.

No - I bought my trailer new in 2004 and I've never had a problem with anything leaking. It's a Kingston 2-horse BP and its been parked outside every single day since I bought it. I would be mad as hell if it was leaking and the dealership haven't been able to solve the problem! Like others suggested you might want to contact the manufacturer. Hope they are able to fix it or you!
    "When a horse greets you with a nicker & regards you with a large & liquid eye, the question of where you want to be & what you want to do has been answered." CANTER New England

A trailer roof should NOT leak. But few manufacturers will guarantee it from leaking. Sun, wind, and trailer flexing will eventually make a seam leak. After trying the factory sealant again after 5 years, I'm at 10 years now, I'm trying a new method. "Eternabond" roof tape. It was a lot easier to apply than sealant from a caulking gun. It has a 15 year warranty. (www.eternabond.com)

2 members found this post helpful.

Thanks, hosspuller! I bookmarked that for future needs.
    Never argue with a fool. Noone can tell who is who.

Potteryshop .. If and when you use the tape... The instructions say to rub or roll the tape down. I highly recommend using a roller. One can't apply enough pressure by hand. I used a rubber caster wheel from a chair. It made the tape adhere very well to the aluminum roof.

Ours does not leak at all. I'd contact the manufacturer about that...
    http://www.youtube.com/user/NBChoice http://nbchoice.blogspot.com/
    The New Banner's Choice- 1994 ASB Mare
    Dennis The Menace Too- 1999 ASB Gelding
    Dreamacres Sublime- 2008 ASB Gelding

My 2006 Hawk 2+1 fibreglass roof doesn't leak, even on the rear corner I chipped backing under a branch, though I have repaired it with a fiberglass repair kit from either a boat or auto supply store. I keep it under a shed, well most of it as the trailer's longer than the shed.

Up until about 2 weeks ago? No.

Then, during these torrential rains every day, I noticed a leak.

Mr FlightCheck climbed up on the roof and discovered that several screws had "popped up".

Appt made with trailer company for complete check; trailer is 6 years old and until this I had never had any trouble.

No. Never has. Mine is a 2000 Sooner. To this day, no leaks anywhere, including the roof.

I've owned five trailer in the past 20 years and I've had one leak ever so slightly in the dressing room. That corner of the trailer was resealed and it never leaked again.

Is there any chance it is condensation? Four Stars are known for their exceptional quality so it surprises me that it leaks so! I would definitely be calling Four Star directly if someone was talking to me about replacing windows. That is something that should not be happening!

Quote Originally Posted by cutter99 View Post
    I've owned five trailer in the past 20 years and I've had one leak ever so slightly in the dressing room. That corner of the trailer was resealed and it never leaked again.

Is there any chance it is condensation? Four Stars are known for their exceptional quality so it surprises me that it leaks so! I would definitely be calling Four Star directly if someone was talking to me about replacing windows. That is something that should not be happening!

I wondered the same thing today. As much rain as many of us have had, could the trailer just be 'sweating'?

The only place my trailer leaks is where the back/top ramp doors meet, because one door is bent a little and the trailer is parked with the back end facing directly into the wind of most storms.

I also would contact the manufacturer, it definitely should not be leaking that much.

Nope. I have a FeatherLite. I know that occasionally the roof doesn't get attached correctly in some of these things so I would call the manufacturer.
    You are what you dare.

I have a 2008 Mustang, and it leaked horribly months ago when we first got it. After one rain I went in the dressing room (only place it leaked) and caulked wherever I thought the leak was coming from. Worked, because it doesn't leak anymore!

don't know hasn't rain much in the last six years

uh oh, I too have a 2+1 4star and my roof leaked.

I had them put in two roof vents at the dealer, and they leaked.
    I brought it back the next year and complained mightily. They put gobs of sealant around the vents on the roof, and it hasn't leaked since. If you are looking down on the trailer, it looks like shix, but it does not leak.

I am sure at some point, the sealant will erode and it will leak again.
    It is not in the horse area, but in the front area, where a cart or the extra horse would go. It also is where I 'put things' such as hay, or other things, so its a bummer if it was to leak.

Maybe we should talk. Did you have any roof vents put in at the dealer?
    Is that where it is leaking?
    save lives...spay/neuter/geld

We had a torrential ran the other night. My vents and windows were closed.
    All of the new shavings in the trailer were soaked......as were the three bags of feed I had in there. We picked up the 50 pound bag of flax seed, and it fell apart from being so wet.
    This is more than just a vent leaking....although I do have roof vents. I believe they came from the factory. I custom ordered the trailer. The trailer is about a 2007.......
    www.flyingcolorsfarm.comHome of pinto stallion Claim to Fame and his homozygous son, Counterclaim. Friend us on Facebook!https://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/Fl...04678589573428