The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Quote Originally Posted by Rel6 View Post
    Have you talked to a doctor about this? Even if you can't donate organs, you might still be able to donate other tissues (such as skin.) Could be worth asking!
    I wouldn't take a chance. http://well.blogs.nytimes.com/2012/0...guard-against/
    "We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." ~Immanuel Kant

Timely post. Last week, some very dear friends of our firm lost their 19 yr old son to a tragic accident at work. He had been revived, but no one knew how long he had been without oxygen. His heart would beat, but a vent was breathing for him. After many tests, he came back with basically 0% brain function, except for the brain stem. His loving parents decided to remove him from life support and donate his organs. Last Friday, someone, or several someones, received the gift of life from a wonderful 19 yr old boy who loved baseball more than anything. Today, his family will lay him to rest. Vale DF and thank you to your parents for being such caring people and honoring your death by letting you help others!
    Rhode Islands are red;
    North Hollands are blue.
    Sorry my thoroughbreds
    Stomped on your roo. Originally Posted by pAin't_Misbehavin' :

5 members found this post helpful.

I recently found out that if you die in a car crash, you are not eligible, either.

I wonder if I am - I lived in a tropical country and may or may not have been in contact with malaria. We are all signed up.

Our lawyer did not say anything about the line that says do not intubate, or do not recussitate... I'll have to check. I think we all opted for no heroic measures.
    Proud member of People Who Hate to Kill Wildlife clique

This very recent story covers the DNR/organ donor question in a very personal and detailed way:
    http://www.washingtonpost.com/nation...4cc_story.html
    I am an organ donor, and so is my husband. I will make sure we both understand what goes into keeping my shell going long enough to accomplish that.

"Meh... I don't know how I feel about expecting poor uninsured people to donate their body parts to wealthier people with spiffy health insurance policies. I'll be all for organ donation when everyone has BASIC health care."

Don't worry Medicaid patients receive transplants too. So you don't need to be wealthy with a spiffy health insurance policy to benefit from organ transplant.
    Last edited by SonnysMom; Sep. 3, 2013 at 02:04 PM. Reason: Hit reply instead of reply with quote. Added quote
    Oh, well, clearly you're not thoroughly indoctrinated to COTH yet, because finger pointing and drawing conclusions are the cornerstones of this great online community. (Tidy Rabbit)

1 members found this post helpful.

Nice article in Washington Post. Relevant quote: "For organ donation to happen, a person must die on a ventilator in a hospital, Gelman says. And so although more than half of Maryland’s residents have offered to be organ donors, only 3 percent of all hospital deaths meet the criteria for organ donation, which includes being on ventilator support and having a severe neurological deficit."
    I'm still not 100% sure about the being on a ventilator. As I said before, you'd think someone who was slipping away could be used for donation if it surgery happened fast enough. Obviously it's a lot easier if the patient is on a vent. So--you can be DNR and donate, but if you are DNI it's not likely.

I wonder if anyone has ever stipulated that their organs can only go to someone who is already signed up as an organ donor themselves.

Quote Originally Posted by PeteyPie View Post
    I wonder if anyone has ever stipulated that their organs can only go to someone who is already signed up as an organ donor themselves.
    Having a disease that destroys an organ tends to damage other organs as well but I doubt someone who was willing to accept an organ would have qualms about donating one if possible.

That is a cruel argument - denying an organ and punishing someone who has not signed up for an organ donation there may be a multitude of reasons why someone has not signed up.
    Proud member of People Who Hate to Kill Wildlife clique

Two years ago, a friend of mine's only daughter was murdered. She died on the operating table and her organs were donated. Last month, he was contacted because the recipient of her heart really wants to meet him and thank him.

He's not quite ready to meet the person yet, but you can bet it will be emotional for all involved. I tear up just typing this.
    Proud owner of a Slaughter-Bound TB from a feedlot, and her surprise baby...!
    http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e350/Jen4USC/fave.jpg
    http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e3...SC/running.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Foxtrot's View Post
    That is a cruel argument - denying an organ and punishing someone who has not signed up for an organ donation there may be a multitude of reasons why someone has not signed up.
    How is it cruel to allow limited use of your organs but not cruel to allow no use? So the person who limits organ donation is cruel but the person who refused to sign up for any organ donation is cool?

As several people have pointed out, anyone can sign up for organ donation. Just because an organ is diseased doesn't necessarily rule out its use in some way or the use of other body parts.