The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Jealous kitteh

So I think I have this figured out. Bubba was adopted as a baby when Oliver and Lucy were already here. Lucy took him under her wing and they play and chase each other all over the place. Bub kinda ignores Ollie but likes to sleep next to him.

Booker T. arrived a few months ago - a full grown tuxedo with 7 toes on each front paw. Bubby is obviously very jealous of any affection I show to Booker - to the point of inserting himself between us during pat time and even swatting Bookie to make him go away.

I have concluded that while Bub realizes he has to share me with the two pre-existing cats, he is NOT inclined to share me with Bookie.
    What's wrong with you?? Your cheese done slid off its cracker?!?!

This is the way I deal with that same issue between my two -- my Old Lady cat always gets first greetings. She's the one I've had the longest and I've noticed that when she's in a happy mood, less crap happens between her and the Little Man.

If you can extract Bubba from the group (ie, does he like getting picked up?) and love on him till he's a purring maniac he might get the idea that you think he's all that and a ball of catnip and he'll be more inclined to let you share affections with the others without getting his nose out of joint.

"Does he like being picked up?" Does a bear - well, you know. Yes. He likes being cuddled. He likes laps. He likes tummy rubs. All of which he insists on first thing when I walk in the door. And he becomes a purring happy maniac. Only AFTER all this do I go see Booker. He's gotten so bad he'll swat at Booker and make it look like it was me. Oh well. I have two hands . . . .
    What's wrong with you?? Your cheese done slid off its cracker?!?!

Quote Originally Posted by oliverreed View Post
    Oh well. I have two hands . . . .
    Being ambidextrous is also another solution. Face them away from each other and give head rubs -- they'll think they're each receiving exclusive treatment!

Quote Originally Posted by VaqueroToro View Post
    Being ambidextrous is also another solution. Face them away from each other and give head rubs -- they'll think they're each receiving exclusive treatment!
    No, you need 4 hands.

The Sad Cat Diary cat learned that people have two hands "and being petted with just one hand is lo..... which is how I feel."
    The armchair saddler
    Politically Pro-Cat