The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Coconino II - to stud, or not to stud...

Who's going?? Who has advice regarding their Training level course? Camping? Footing? Anything??

I'm super excited. This is our first event out of Area 6, so we're branching out, haha! Any and all info is appreciated!

ETA - After the hard ground warnings, and a not-so-great SJ round on grass at Galway, I'm inclined to do hind shoes with small studs. Yay or nay? Horse has never gone in studs before, but we will have a chance to school before we leave. Even though he's barefoot behind right now, I'm still going to put hind shoes on due to the hard ground. I don't need him tearing up his feet any more than he already has!
    Last edited by runNjump86; Jul. 3, 2013 at 02:45 AM.

I am going, but I've never been before so can't give you too much info. I'm just excited because of the weather forecast!

My trainer said the footing is a little hard. Another friend is taking a BN horse who's never been shod, and she said definitely put shoes on her. Also, she has recommended pads for some horses that have thin soles. Can't tell you anything about the courses, sorry.

2 friends are camping. I don't think they have full living quarters in their trailer, so I'm sure they're are going to be begging to borrow my hotel room. There're no showers on grounds

I'm going for I and II, so if I hear anything else that might be beneficial I'll let you know.
    "Everyone will start to cheer, when you put on your sailin shoes"-Lowell George

What's the status on Tuco?

Coconino is a blast! Take rain gear because thunderstorms are the norm at some point.

Horses have been known to get stone bruises, but I think it's more the footing around the stalls and trails to warmup areas rather than actual competition footing.

Be careful in Stadium warmup. For some reason it seems to get especially bad there..

Coming from the desert, everyone down here just has a great time there! Oh, but make sure you are in vehicles which can handle climbing. You gain a lot of elevation over a long, steady climb heading into flagstaff and vehicle problems are common.

I actually think there are showers - not right by the barns where people typically camp but there are actual campgrounds with showers if I remember correctly.
    My horse is a dressage diva so I don't have to be.

Quote Originally Posted by katarine
    If you have a fat gay horse that likes Parelli, you're really screwed

Coconino is beautiful and a lot of fun. The footing is usually very pretty good in July because of the monsoon rains- be prepared, you will get thunderstorms at some point. If you're going with a group, it may be worth it to get a tack stall so you have a dry place to hang out. You'll need a relatively fit horse if you don't train at elevation already. Warm-up for dressage on the racetrack and can get a bit interesting, but I believe they moved stadium and X-country warm-up to the arena by the stabling. It's a great show, everyone has a lot of fun!

Quote Originally Posted by netg View Post

I actually think there are showers - not right by the barns where people typically camp but there are actual campgrounds with showers if I remember correctly.
    What trainer/friend told me is that they used to have showers, but they are closed As cool as it's been at night, I wish they DID still have them because I'd sleep in my trailer. 11 nts. in a hotel is gonna blow my budget for the year!

The jockey room showers have been closed to competitors for some time due to inconsiderate use. Some years, they have been able to provide passes to a local fitness facility for showers. Maybe a pal staying at a hotel will let you come clean off in their room.

Limited hook-ups for LQs. Many folks just use their generators. There are still a few people who camp in tents. The stabling is under the pines, so if you like that sort of thing, it's pleasant.

I'd say the footing is pretty good on the competition tracks. It is aerovated.
    If stadium warm-ups are in the track infield, it can be rocky. If its on the track, the footing is great.

Have fun. Bring rain gear. And warm clothes. The weather in summertime Flagstaff can be kind of wild.

Eat at the Himalayan Grill at least once, if you like Indian/Nepalese food. And the Galaxy Diner (I think that's the name) for a real Route 66 kind of experience. Bun Huggers is good for burgers.
    ~ Horse Box Lovers Clique ~

I am totally bummed I'm not going to be competing (greenie is still too green/has trailer issues and all four backup horses have something wrong with them.) If I can wrangle a ride I'm going to volunteer.

I sent some pictures to EN last year.

Not going this year, but went last year to cheer on a friend.

TONS of rain. NO showers. Toilets were porta pottys (not bad though, of course).

TONS of fun.

I didn't mind the footing on the xc course at all. But if your horse doesn't have fabulous feet, then I would have some caution as it can get a bit hard. Unless it's raining The show jumping ring had nice footing too, I felt it was a bit deep, but I didn't ride in it. The warm up was on the track and wasn't too bad for sj. Things can get a bit hectic out there though.

But definitely bring warm clothing, as well as clothes appropriate for rain.

And camping up there ROCKS. (aside from the no showers lol)

Quote Originally Posted by Desert Topaz View Post
    I am totally bummed I'm not going to be competing (greenie is still too green/has trailer issues and all four backup horses have something wrong with them.) If I can wrangle a ride I'm going to volunteer.

I sent some pictures to EN last year.

WOW! Looks beautiful, and totally not at all like AZ!!!

I'm getting worried now about the footing. Of course my horse waits allllll year (and actually, like, 5 years) to pull a shoe and part of his foot off with it. He's sound, and the farrier was able to put the shoe back on, but he was foot-sore for a couple of days. Ugh. I really don't want to put pads on...this show is setting me back a little more than I expected already. READ ORIGINAL POST Re STUDS

We'll be bringing a LQ, so we will thankfully have a shower. There are only two of us, so we passed on a tack stall. Thanks for the info on what to pack...I'll have to dig my rain gear out from its hiding place! I keep doing rain dances over here, but no luck yet!
    Last edited by runNjump86; Jul. 3, 2013 at 02:45 AM.

The courses are awesome and James Atkinson does a great job with the footing. On the courses it seems to be pretty darn good, however, every where else can be a bit shaky. The arenas are fine. Remember to walk your courses multiple times because it is confusing since it is in the woods...yes I have some very enertaining stories about me getting lost going to the dressage arena and getting really lost on course(had a lot of time penalties) but the footing is fine. I think the studs are overboard, but whatever you want to do! enjoy the cool weather and don't forget to go to the grand canyon it is cool!

1 members found this post helpful.

I used small studs at OI after a very hard rain once. I doubt you will need them. As three_dayer said, James does a wonderful job with the courses. At training, unless it was absolutely muddy, I would skip them.

Yes, walk your course two or three times more than you would normally. The dense trees and big hills can get really confusing.

Quote Originally Posted by runNjump86 View Post
    WOW! Looks beautiful, and totally not at all like AZ!!!

I'm getting worried now about the footing. Of course my horse waits allllll year (and actually, like, 5 years) to pull a shoe and part of his foot off with it. He's sound, and the farrier was able to put the shoe back on, but he was foot-sore for a couple of days. Ugh. I really don't want to put pads on...this show is setting me back a little more than I expected already. READ ORIGINAL POST Re STUDS

We'll be bringing a LQ, so we will thankfully have a shower. There are only two of us, so we passed on a tack stall. Thanks for the info on what to pack...I'll have to dig my rain gear out from its hiding place! I keep doing rain dances over here, but no luck yet!
    Actually, it looks exactly like AZ... We're big states our here and very biodiverse. Sedona, mountain forest areas, Sonoran, Chiricauhan and other deserts - there's a lot of variety!

I think practicing in studs at home just in case isn't a bad idea, but it's not likely you'll need them.
    My horse is a dressage diva so I don't have to be.

Quote Originally Posted by katarine
    If you have a fat gay horse that likes Parelli, you're really screwed

If you're running training, I *might* put small studs in. It's funny, it's either a bit hard or too soft from the rain. Last year, there were no problems from what I saw though.

Don't worry too much about the footing, it will be just fine!
    Adding hind shoes is your choice, but I highly, highly doubt studs are worth the time or money.
    FWIW, a few years ago I ran a barefoot horse Novice there with no issues. Two friends ran Training and Prelim, no studs and no issues.

The trippiest thing is galloping through all the trees - I felt like I was going SO FAST but I ended up with time penalties. And it's SO easy to get lost!

That part of AZ is just stunningly beautiful! You must drive down to Sedona one day and stop at Slide Rock on the way for some fun.
    Good luck and have a great time!

Thanks all.

I know James will make sure the XC footing is impeccable. Does SJ go in a dirt arena or grass? I had my farrier add hind shoes and they are drilled/tapped, just in case. I doubt we will need them after hearing all of this, which is good!

Definitely looking forward to this show!!

Grass? What's that?

SJ is on dirt.

In my 23 years of eventing I've never walked a BN cc course more than twice. This weekend I walked this course 5 TIMES! Even after all that, I still made one wrong turn but realized it fairly quickly. My horse has been a mad man since we got here. Not sure if it's the altitude, or that fact that 2/3 of the event was on the race track.

2 members found this post helpful.