The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Help me to help you: Best natural deodorant (and your other TMI requests)

This is the thread for the lazy but considerate.

We don't research things on our own. We don't create alters. All things being equal, we *would* like to not smell, or look nice, or whatever.

So my question: Best In Battle Conditions deoderant that doesn't have the aluminum stuff that will give me Alzheimers.... in which case I will become a bigger PITA.

Thank you.
    The armchair saddler
    Politically Pro-Cat

2 members found this post helpful.

I would like to know that as well, because other than deodorant I have replaced all my stuff with natural and non chemical.
    The deodorant worries me. Although, strange but true after I went through menopause I can work up a heck of a good sweat.. and I kid you not, no odor. What??
    "you can only ride the drama llama so hard before it decides to spit in your face." Caffeinated.

1 members found this post helpful.

Hmmm, menopause may be the best natural deodorant, then. Because, after I went through it, I even quit the nasty sweating and just plain don't need to use the stuff any more. Though, a psychological quirk has me using it on days when I'm going to be in a close social or medical situation, anyways, just in case.
    Originally Posted by Alagirl
    We just love to shame poor people...when in reality, we are all just peasants.

Quote Originally Posted by Louise View Post
    Hmmm, menopause may be the best natural deodorant, then. Because, after I went through it, I even quit the nasty sweating and just plain don't need to use the stuff any more. Though, a psychological quirk has me using it on days when I'm going to be in a close social or medical situation, anyways, just in case.
    I know Louise, I think it is true.
    Truth be told I have totally forgotten to use it after a shower and then realized that hey, I don't stink 8 hours later.
    MAybe I will try to not use it for a week and see. Unless like you said a just incase scenario. LOL
    MVP, I love how you word stuff!
    "you can only ride the drama llama so hard before it decides to spit in your face." Caffeinated.

MVP
    Here is one natural recipe that seems pretty easy and safe.
    http://wellnessmama.com/1523/how-to-...h-natural-deo/

crystal rock or stick or whatever it is. Been using it for years. Doesnt stop sweat, but it does stop the stink!

Soap and water works for me.

Soap and water, followed by Tom's of Maine!

I'm so jealous of people that don't smell or sweat!! You have no idea what a nightmare it is to just have sweat pouring. It is So GROSS. Ugh. I'm talking face, pits, @$$ crack. Nightmare!

6 members found this post helpful.

My friends swear by Primal Pit Paste. I haven't switched yet, I'm still chemically assaulting myself in this area.

http://www.primalpitpaste.com/

I also have another friend who just quit using anything. He said he did have to go through a couple weeks of adjustment but now he says he doesn't smell when he sweats. We work out together and he really never seems to smell so maybe it works...

LaVanilla makes an aluminum free deodorant that smells nice. It's free of Parabens, Sulfates, Synthetic Dyes, Petro-Chemicals and Phthalates.

Quote Originally Posted by KTRider View Post
    My friends swear by Primal Pit Paste. I haven't switched yet, I'm still chemically assaulting myself in this area.

http://www.primalpitpaste.com/

I also have another friend who just quit using anything. He said he did have to go through a couple weeks of adjustment but now he says he doesn't smell when he sweats. We work out together and he really never seems to smell so maybe it works...
    I am tempted to buy it just cause I love the name of it!

Deodorant can give you Alzheimer's? I'm not stirring the pot, I really haven't heard this.

Quote Originally Posted by pal-o-mino View Post
    crystal rock or stick or whatever it is. Been using it for years. Doesnt stop sweat, but it does stop the stink!
    Yes, I like this stuff too. I use to use it at the gym.
    Delaware Park Canter Volunteer
    http://www.canterusa.org/

Ever since having my DD (5 years ago!) I stink. All the time. Can't get the stink off.

The only things that have helped me is:
    Waxing my armpits
    Using a natural deodorant

If I use "regular" deodorant, it seems to make the smell worse. I only use it when its inappropriate to sweat (in dress clothes, etc).

I have used
    Crystal Brand
    Toms
    Kiss My Face

I have yet to find something that works well. The best of those is the Crystal. But you have to apply it very frequently.

I've started taking Chlorella, which is supposed to be an "internal" type deodorant.

As an aside, does anyone know the name of that soap company you can get tons of different smells of online? I think I saw it here. It has a catchy name like "bar" or just something that makes you go "duh" when you remember it.

I tried Tom's and offended myself, much less everyone else I use Almay which is the only one that doesn't make me breakout.
    "Never do anything that you have to explain twice to the paramedics."
    Courtesy my cousin Tim

Love Crystal Rock. I'm extremely allergic to Tom's, Malin + Goetz, and any of the other "natural" ingredients... I think it's the hops?

I also love this Kiehl's deodorant: http://www.kiehls.com/Superbly-Effic...efault,pd.html

It does have aluminum, so if you're looking to avoid that, it's not for you but it works very well and is a lot more natural than some of the other stuff out there.

I went cold turkey off deodorant when I found I smelled worse not better and did some reading. I have found that now that its summer I need something so I now use Crystal Rock. It works really well, the only caution I have is it stings like mad if you put it on right after you shave...

There is a prescription strength one... Its got alcohol in it works well
    Beyond the Ring-para dressage, training, coaching
    www.facebook.com/btrparadressage

Proud Team Four Star Minion! Renegade for Life!

I was going to suggest the wellnessmama one too, but someone beat me to it. If I'm going out where I'm going to be in close contact with anyone, I will use either the wellnessmama stuff, or Arm and Hammer Essentials (no aluminum). If I'm just going to be with the horses and then shower before I come in much contact with the rest of the family, I just leave it off entirely.

A friend of mine said she read that a magnesium deficiency can often times be tied to a stinky sweat. We both were always "stinky sweaters", she slightly worse than me. So after reading that, she started taking a "swig" of milk of magnesia a couple times a week (yes, I know, not very scientific!). She also started using just plain milk of magnesia in a roller ball applicator as deoderant. She doesn't stink anymore!

FWIW, my husband (50 yrs old this year) was having trouble remembering names of people, nothing else, just names of people. And he just a few months before NEVER forgot a persons face or name. I immediately got rid of our last couple of aluminum and teflon cooking pots and pans and barred him from aluminum containing anti-perspirants and deoderants. Within a month, no more forgetting names, and he said his thinking in general is so much clearer that it was scary. He was reapplying his aluminum deo like 3 and 4 times a day too, I found out.

Sheila