The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Breeders in Virginia/Maryland near DC?

Any nice breeding farms in this area?

There are a ton of WB breeders in NOVA and MD. You might look on the Mid Atlantic Hanoverian website, it will give you a lot of their websites. Most are in the Warrenton, Gainsville, Leesburg area of VA or in the outer suburbs of SE Maryland (eg, Damascus, Mt Airy, Frederick)

1 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Perfect Pony View Post
    Any nice breeding farms in this area?
    Edgewood is correct, there are LOTS of excellent warmblood breeders easily accessible from the DC area. The largest and probably best organized breeders group is the Mid-Atlantic Hanoverian Breeders club. Here's the link to their online directory -- http://www.mahanoverians.com/Directory.html

Since you are "Perfect Pony" and you didn't say what kind of breeders you were seeking, I'd like to add that Region 3 of the American Connemara Pony Society covers this area. Look on ACPS.org for farm listings; there are some fabulous ponies around here! Halfbreds too.

There's also a good Oldenburg breeder in Mt Airy MD!

Thanks all, I ask because the area is as known to me as Mars. I tried to look myself and have no idea what is a short drive from DC vs 4 hours away. Looking up each farm to see the distance will take days

That area is a candy store for wonderful horses. Many of my favorite breeders are in the MD/ N. VA area. Lovely horses and very nice people.

Quote Originally Posted by Perfect Pony View Post
    I tried to look myself and have no idea what is a short drive from DC vs 4 hours away. Looking up each farm to see the distance will take days
    The towns l listed in my post above are 30-45 minutes outside DC, and most are commuter/bedroom communities. Leesburg has a lot of breeders close by, as does Mt Airy.

I have some lovely young horses by Sir Gregory, Parcival, Landtinus and Rubignon for sale in northern VA. Check out my website www.twinwillows.net
    There are lots of farms with horses for sale in my area. Good luck.

Lauren Dearlove breeds exceptional horses and is a super person: http://www.paradefieldfarm.com/about.htm

We are Laurel Leaf Hanoverians in Great Falls, VA just outside of the D.C. I-495 Beltway, breed Hanoverians, love visitors, and are active members of the MidAtlantic Hanoverian Breeders Group with other members such as Hilltop Farm, Hilton Farm, Bae Prid Farm, Bent Hickory Farm, Caliburn Farm, Windsor Farm (not MAHB member), Paradefield Farm, New Blessing Farm (hunters, not MAHB but great babies), Nokomis Farm (not MAHB but famous hunter lines), Twin Oaks Farm (who train my own horses), and about 25 other breeders within a 100 mile radius, breeding show hunters and jumpers, eventing horses, and dressage horses.

Diane Halpin/Laurel Leaf Hanoverians: Facebook

Ponies? Otteridge Farm in Virginia!
    Randee Beckman ~Otteridge Farm, LLC (http://on.fb.me/1iJEqvR)~ Marketing Manager - The Clothes Horse

Might also consider just over the border in PA like Iron Spring is 100 ish miles from DC
    Epona Farm
    Irish Draughts and Irish Sport horses

Join us on Facebook

Thanks for the leads. I wil be there on a business trip actually, no time to spend hours driving a long distance. I am trying not to make this into some want ad as I am only kinda sorta almost shopping for something. Just hoping to see some contryside, maybe make a connection, and maybe if ghere happens to be something perfect...

I have always wanted to see the area, and have never been there.

You are very welcome to visit us, close to D.C.! Call me (703) 759-5594 and you can come here and you can visit some friends' places, too, if you have time! I can also be messaged on Facebook.

wait, so you're back to warmbloods?

6 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Edgewood View Post
    The towns l listed in my post above are 30-45 minutes outside DC, and most are commuter/bedroom communities. Leesburg has a lot of breeders close by, as does Mt Airy.

Earlier post:
    There are a ton of WB breeders in NOVA and MD. You might look on the Mid Atlantic Hanoverian website, it will give you a lot of their websites. Most are in the Warrenton, Gainsville, Leesburg area of VA or in the outer suburbs of SE Maryland (eg, Damascus, Mt Airy, Frederick)

While all of those are in the DC Metro region, the only one that might make the outside edge of 45 minutes outside is Damascus, at least if you are a driving outside of the hours between midnight and 4am. A more realistic thing is to figure out how far they are from which airport. BWI (Baltimore) and IAD (Dulles) are the two most likely options.

If you are going to fly into the region, spend some time with a map, group the farms that have horses you want to see, use the directions feature of Google maps, and add 15 minutes to each time. I'd say break it into 2 or 3 days, make it a vacation, map out some of the wineries that are in the region, VA has dozens that are all over in what used to be all horse country, and take some tasting breaks.

The most I ever managed to look at was 2 in a day, but I could see managing 3 or 4 farms and if the farms have more than one horse available, it gets easier.

When I went looking for my next project, I decided to focus on those within 3 hours of home because I wanted to use my budget on the horse, not on travel and shipping.

Quote Originally Posted by currycomb321 View Post
    wait, so you're back to warmbloods?
    LOL I didn't say that. This is a sport horse breeding forum, not a Warmblood breeding forum The mid-Atlantic region has a lot of horses we don't normally see in California (Hunt/low level event horses, draft crosses, pony crosses, etc). There also seem to be a lot more "hony" sized horses available. Hell, there just seems to be more horses available that have been bred and raised they way they should be. I have never been pro or anti any particular breed.

Just thought I might have some fun and take advantage of a totally unexpected trip. At the least get an idea of the area and see if it's really the way I think it is in my head.

Thanks again for the tips.

Hilltop is in Maryland. I also love hony's, and this girl caught my eye a couple of weeks ago on their fb page:

http://www.hilltopfarminc.com/sales_benedetta.html#

Have fun!
    Caitlin
    *OMGiH I Loff my Mare* and *My Saddlebred Can Do Anything Your Horse Can Do*
    http://community.webshots.com/user/redmare01

We don't breed our own mares anymore, but still have a stallion and a lot of horses in for training plus a couple of our stallions older offspring - including our oldest homebred (3 years old) who is just 3 weeks under saddle now. We're about 30 minutes outside of the beltway (as long as there's no traffic!).
    Erin
    Dodon Farm - Home of Salute The Truth, Thoroughbred Stallion and on Facebook
    The Retired Racehorse Training Project, a 501(c)3 Non profit organization.