The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Where to find Adequan?

Anyone know where you can get Adequan at the moment? Seems to be on backorder everywhere. After they had a big ad campaign at WEF about how you should use "only the real thing". What is the generic alternative, any thoughts on how well it works or where to get it?

It's on backorder everywhere because it isn't being produced right now. They have to make upgrades to the facility or something like that. I don't think they're expecting to have it available again until at least late July or August.

My vet warned me 2-3 months ago that I should hoard my remaining supply because July was the earliest it would be available again.

Southern California - on a freeway someplace

There was a brief article on the COTH website maybe a month ago bit had a date for availability. You could probably still find it on the site.
    The Evil Chem Prof

I have most of a 10-shot bottle, to share between two horses, so guess they'll have to get 5 shots each instead of 7. Oh well.

Adequan comes from bovine trachea from WI, then is manufactured in France in a chemical synthesis that is over 200 steps and takes 5 years. They test all batches, and didn't like the way one tested a few months ago, therefore shut down production until the problem could be fixed. I think it's supposed to be back by late July, but it's understandable that it takes time to get going again.

Just started Adequan this year and was unaware of the impending shortage. Frustrated that we'll now have to repeat the loading dose. One horse really needs it. Checked with my vet this week and he hadn't heard anything, grrr.

Here is a link to the press release from Luitpold (which is located on Long Island, not in France) regarding Adequan:

http://www.adequan.com/pdf/AdequanPr...se05082013.pdf

It is my understanding, from having been at the facility, that the shutdown was FDA mandated, and they are just as anxious to have one of their most profitable products back on the market as people are to get it.

1 members found this post helpful.

My vet has us on 2 boluses per year with 7 shots per bolus. Mine is preventative and not to treat active arthritis.

Quote Originally Posted by CindyCRNA View Post
    My vet has us on 2 boluses per year with 7 shots per bolus. Mine is preventative and not to treat active arthritis.
    And I just got the bill for my 50cc bottle: $442 Ouchey!!

Adequan comes from bovine trachea from WI, then is manufactured in France in a chemical synthesis that is over 200 steps and takes 5 years
    Seriously? Where does this information come from?
    Click here before you buy.

Recent press release says there now will be no adequan until sometime in early 2014...

It's manufactured in Shirley, New York. I just came across this from COTH saying it won't be available before the first quarter of 2014.

http://www.chronofhorse.com/article/...tage-prolonged

The shutdown was FDA mandated. If you do a web search, you will see that they were warned beginning in 2011 that they did not have quality controls to assure the "the identity, strength, quality, and/or purity" of their products. Apparently, they found impurities in some other injectable (not Adequan). Which is rich, considering this -

http://www.adequan.com/substitute.aspx

Above is where the other poster got the information that it comes from France.

2 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by deltawave View Post
    Seriously? Where does this information come from?
    Dr. Chris Newton at Rood and Riddle.

Additionally, any website with the label information will show that the first part of the synthesis is extracting glycosaminoglycans from bovine tracheal cartilage.

1 members found this post helpful.

I love seeing the source for what sounds like rumor!

I was skeptical too, until I read the adequan.com link ...

also see this article:

http://www.chronofhorse.com/article/...tage-prolonged
    Last edited by Inese; Jul. 4, 2013 at 12:08 PM. Reason: add link
    Inese

For those of you that use Adequan, what are you doing in the meantime? And when it becomes available again, will you go back to using it?

It sounds to me like the company was partially to blame for the shortage, and that would irritate me if my horse needed it.

This vaguely reminds me of the issues at Novartis. They "suspended" production of several meds, including Interceptor, which was about the only heartworm med my dog would tolerate. It would be available again shortly. It will be available in March. July. October. By January at the latest. Early in the next fiscal quarter. We waited and waited, buying Revolution ($$$) by the dose, and waiting until "Hey, we actually aren't going to make this drug anymore! Use this one that makes your dog sick!"
    GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR.
    Adequan is such a cash cow that I can't imagine that's the case, BUT I think the reliability of any dates given should be taken with a big grain of salt.
    *CrowneDragon*
    As Peter, Paul, and Mary say, a dragon lives forever.

Southern California - on a freeway someplace

My vet offered to get me compounded Pentosan as Pentaussie (sp?) which she has carried and I was thinking of as an alternative, is also in short or non-existent supply.

At least I can still get iodine via the chem lab.
    The Evil Chem Prof