The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default PPE on a 2 year old warmblood

Hi Gang,

Just wondering what you would include in a PPE for a 2 year old warmblood filly? She has had no work at all and is turned out about 5 hours per day. The lack of turnout makes me a bit nervous when looking at a young horse.

Quote Originally Posted by Scratch N Dent View Post
    Hi Gang,

Just wondering what you would include in a PPE for a 2 year old warmblood filly? She has had no work at all and is turned out about 5 hours per day. The lack of turnout makes me a bit nervous when looking at a young horse.
    I bought my now 2 year old Oldenburg at 18 mos old. I had the vet look at conformation/suitability for his intended job (I bought sight unseen) and had her watch him in all three gaits either in-hand (walk, trot) or loose in the round pen (canter). I didn't initially order xrays but after watching him she thought it wise to check out the stifles. I opted to xray only what she recommended and everything was completely normal.

This is likely what I would do again with a youngster. They will grow and change enough that it doesn't usually make sense to xray the heck out of them... However if you are concerned about specific things or if the baby is a significant investment you may want to for your own peace of mind. Just be aware that the xrays you do today can't really tell you that something won't change (for better or worse) as they finish growing.

I don't have a warmblood, but I bought my 17h TB who routinely passes as a warmblood when he was 2.
    Vet watched all three gaits (he chased around the pasture since horse was an OTTB and no longing experience). Just a note, that was a bad idea in hindsight as the horse was a maniac for the rest of the PPE. However, it was awesome because I got the horse for a song because he was a monster. Vet did (rather, attempted to) flexion tests and took radiographs.

I would at least do radiographs. The above 2yo had an extensor process bone chip on the coffin bone, and I passed on a 4 year old Morgan because she had radiographic evidence of osteoarthritis in her hocks already.
    Also, with young warmbloods, they're prone to osteochondrosis, so you'd want to look for lesions, if they're present. Doesn't mean they won't develop after you buy the horse, but it would suck if you bought the horse and then it came up lame a month later.

Thanks for the input - the hocks were definitely one of the areas I was thinking of getting radiographs for.
    Any thoughts on what I would consider the low level of turnout for a youngster? The thought of a growing horse standing in a a stall for 18+hrs/day makes me nervous.

While the T/O situation is not ideal (I prefer 24/7 turn out) I don't think that it's going to hurt him any, honestly. He's probably going to be a little bit high, but he's 2.
    Quote Originally Posted by MistyBlue View Post
    I prefer them outside playing as opposed to standing in the barn aisle playing "I can crap more than you"
    New Year, New Blog... follow Willow and I here.

Agree - definitely not ideal but I wouldn't worry too much. Out of curiosity, do you know if he had more turnout as a foal? I would be much more concerned about a foal/weanling who was inside 18 hours a day than a 2 year old.

Having had two young horses that vetted clean as two year olds (flexions, exam all great) but turned out to have significant OCD in the stifles (discovered when we put them to work as 3 or 4 year olds)...I would x-ray stifles for sure! But that's me and my luck! Kind of depends how much I'm spending, too...I mean, a $1,500 vetting (what I've spent on full vetting with x-rays for going horses) for a $2,000 youngster seems crazy, but not for a $15,000 horse.

Thanks for the responses. This horse had the same amount of turnout since it was born. Horsepoor, thanks for the suggestion. This one isn't cheap at about $10,000.