The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Sarcoid! Ack!!

My horse has a small sarcoid on her chest. I've never dealt with this before. My vet mentioned topical stuff (5-Fluoro-uracil cream) or surgery.

For those of you who have dealt with sarcoids before, what treatment option did you use? Would you do it again, or what would you do differently?

Obviously I'm working with my vet on this, but I'm looking for first-hand anecdotes too. Thanks.
    "You become responsible, forever, for what you have tamed." - The Little Prince

I know someone who treated her horse's sarcoid with ultra-flouride toothpaste. It worked like a charm - sarcoid was gone within about eight weeks. I would have never guessed that would work. I would say to go with the cream, given that experience.
    Don't tell me about what you can't do. That's boring. Show me what you can do. - Mom

I had my horse's sarcoid's in her ear lazered off by a vet. They never came back.

My mare had one on her shoulder and I treated it with Crest toothpaste. However, it has to be the old-fashioned plain toothpaste (no whitening, no gel looking stuff, the plain old PASTE.) That pretty much took care of it and 10 years later it has not come back. Hers was the size of a quarter and the hair did not completely grow back.
    Triple J Ranch Sporthorses
    www.triplejsporthorse.com
    Member - OMGiH I LOFF my mare(s) clique

I've had three sarcoids removed surgically; none grew back. And I used Xxterra on one sarcoid, and so far it hasn't come back.

Clarksdale, MS--the golden buckle on the cotton belt

I had a horse with sarcoids on his face. They are nasty, nasty, things. If you cut them out with surgery, they just seem to come back. Freezing is somewhat better, or was in my guy's case. The chemical removers make disgusting sores but have worked for me. I never did try the Crest, but bought a tube just in case.
    "I'm a lumberjack, and I'm okay."
    Thread killer Extraordinaire