The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results
 
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Results 41 to 60 of 86
  1. #41
    Join Date
    Feb. 18, 2003
    Location
    Alberta
    Posts
    5,259

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Alagirl View Post
    But I will continue to snicker at the hunters, thank you very much because the 'OMG, I jumped a 2 foot cross rail' cracks me up. Why? Because I can jump that high, still, without horse. Seems to me there is a culture that puts more emphasis on appearance than substance. If that floats your boat, go for it. But it it would serve you better not to get upset when outsiders point out the inconsistencies.
    Yes, the hunter culture amuses me. it has little to do with what I grew up with around horses. And for the life of me, I can't wrap my mind around it.
    But I certainly got a feeling for what is going on...and it makes me and

    I certainly had the same feeling about my sister, choosing to never leave the ring. However, she was not primarily concerned about how to pose for the judges. Even if she had three different color tall boots in her estate.
    Maybe you could actually post a picture of you jumping, on a horse, over fences a LOT bigger than 2ft, looking lovely and effective......oh that's right you can't you don't ride....so how about some pictures from when you supposidly did ride??? hmmmm....crickets............
    Go Ahead: This is a dare, not permission. Don't Do It!


    9 members found this post helpful.

  2. #42
    Join Date
    Feb. 23, 2007
    Location
    Initech, Storage B.
    Posts
    715

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by eclipse View Post
    Maybe you could actually post a picture of you jumping, on a horse, over fences a LOT bigger than 2ft, looking lovely and effective......oh that's right you can't you don't ride....so how about some pictures from when you supposidly did ride??? hmmmm....crickets............
    I'd rather see her doing it on her pretend horse, you know, two empty halves of coconuts, banging them together. Please, Alagirl? I'll give you a dollar.

    Or maybe she does prancercise. I bet she's a closet prancerciser!
    "I was walking through the woods, thinking about Christ. If He was a carpenter, I wondered what He charged for bookshelves."


    14 members found this post helpful.

  3. #43
    Join Date
    Jan. 29, 2008
    Location
    Ottawa,Ontario
    Posts
    1,628

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MMorgan View Post
    I'd rather see her doing it on her pretend horse, you know, two empty halves of coconuts, banging them together. Please, Alagirl? I'll give you a dollar.

    Or maybe she does prancercise. I bet she's a closet prancerciser!
    Now that's a visual I didn't need
    "My doctrine is this, that if we see cruelty or wrong that we have the power to stop, and do nothing, we make ourselves sharers in the guilt.”
    ― Anna Sewell


    1 members found this post helpful.

  4. #44
    Join Date
    Sep. 2, 2005
    Location
    Upstate NY
    Posts
    11,672

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MMorgan View Post
    I'd rather see her doing it on her pretend horse, you know, two empty halves of coconuts, banging them together. Please, Alagirl? I'll give you a dollar.

    Or maybe she does prancercise. I bet she's a closet prancerciser!
    With or without camel toe included?


    1 members found this post helpful.

  5. #45
    Join Date
    Nov. 2, 2001
    Location
    Packing my bags
    Posts
    30,708

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MMorgan View Post
    I'd rather see her doing it on her pretend horse, you know, two empty halves of coconuts, banging them together. Please, Alagirl? I'll give you a dollar.

    Or maybe she does prancercise. I bet she's a closet prancerciser!
    Quote Originally Posted by trubandloki View Post
    With or without camel toe included?
    I might have to buy some padded panties to get that cameltoe going.
    My prancercizing days are sadly in the past though.

    I concede, y'alls snark is better than mine.

    Quote Originally Posted by Mozart View Post
    Personally, I think the moderate use of shock collars in training humans should be allowed.



  6. #46
    Join Date
    Jun. 1, 2002
    Location
    Indiana
    Posts
    10,995

    Default

    Most of the jumping at my local events is under 2' 6" so I guess us eventers also have the X rail thing nailed.

    I would not assume that someone with 24 posts is actually a real life eventer totally baffled at hunters. I don't think that trolls even ride horses.


    2 members found this post helpful.

  7. #47
    Join Date
    Apr. 23, 2013
    Location
    South East
    Posts
    35

    Default

    Big grey hunter answered the question, thank you.
    Makes perfect sense now.



  8. #48
    Join Date
    May. 4, 2003
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    13,905

    Default

    I adore the hunters, not so much the butt to the sky, crotch ahead of the pommel style. But eventers could not get away with that because of the territory they ride over and the need for a form to function style of being firm in the tack, in case of pecks, or drops, etc.

    Overall, looking at pictures of eventers over fences, their style is very effective and balanced. Jumpers, not so much in mags like H&H, but the American style follows GM more and is outstanding. The top equitation riders who now do top jumpers - gorgeous.

    But tell me - did they ever do but to sky style????
    Proud member of People Who Hate to Kill Wildlife clique


    1 members found this post helpful.

  9. #49
    Join Date
    Feb. 23, 2005
    Location
    Spotsylvania, VA
    Posts
    12,718

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mvp View Post
    Taking the bait here.



    I hope you are also looking down your nose at the Beginner Novice division in eventing. Heck, let's talk about how the short format or even 1 day horse trials are sorry versions of formerly tough sports.

    The USEF hunter ring isn't the only kind of horse sport that has been dumbed down. But hunters still *do* encourage a couple things that are useful.... even to eventers:

    1. A horse who can find his way to a jump without a whole lot of micromanaging. Having evented and field hunted, I can tell you that you *do* want a horse who can save his own bacon over fences outside without me having to do it all.

    2. The value of a broke horse and a tactful ride. This is probably the best thing you can give a horse. Whatever the sport, no horse wants to be subject to kick-and-pull around a course.
    As a former eventer my issue with the show hunter style is the uselessness of the pose. Try that going at a hunting pace over any terrain that's not Kansas flat and the rider is going to end up walking home.

    Ye olde eventing pony https://plus.google.com/photos/10340...99668134314917
    I wasn't always a Smurf
    Penmerryl's Sophie RIDSH
    "I ain't as good as I once was but I'm as good once as I ever was"
    The ignore list is my friend. It takes 2 to argue.


    1 members found this post helpful.

  10. #50
    Join Date
    Sep. 20, 2005
    Location
    You must never go there, Simba.
    Posts
    3,449

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by carolprudm View Post
    As a former eventer my issue with the show hunter style is the uselessness of the pose. Try that going at a hunting pace over any terrain that's not Kansas flat and the rider is going to end up walking home.
    Useless for hunting, but not useless. I wouldn't jump a grand prix in a western saddle, but this does not make the western saddle "useless", just not suited for what I'm doing.

    Different styles for different disciplines. Hell, different styles for different jumps - you don't ride a drop the same way you ride a corner, do you?

    If the way hunters show their horses was useless, they'd be getting beat by eventers. But they aren't, so maybe, just maybe, it isn't "useless".

    See BigGreyHunter's post - it was an excellent explanation.
    "Are you yawning? You don't ride well enough to yawn. I can yawn, because I ride better than you. Meredith Michael Beerbaum can yawn. But you? Not so much..."
    -George Morris


    2 members found this post helpful.

  11. #51
    Join Date
    Feb. 23, 2005
    Location
    Spotsylvania, VA
    Posts
    12,718

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SaturdayNightLive View Post
    Useless for hunting, but not useless. I wouldn't jump a grand prix in a western saddle, but this does not make the western saddle "useless", just not suited for what I'm doing.

    Different styles for different disciplines. Hell, different styles for different jumps - you don't ride a drop the same way you ride a corner, do you?

    If the way hunters show their horses was useless, they'd be getting beat by eventers. But they aren't, so maybe, just maybe, it isn't "useless".

    See BigGreyHunter's post - it was an excellent explanation.
    The point I was trying to make was that the style shown in the hunter ring is not viable for actual cross country riding, IOW hunting
    I wasn't always a Smurf
    Penmerryl's Sophie RIDSH
    "I ain't as good as I once was but I'm as good once as I ever was"
    The ignore list is my friend. It takes 2 to argue.


    2 members found this post helpful.

  12. #52
    Join Date
    Sep. 20, 2005
    Location
    You must never go there, Simba.
    Posts
    3,449

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by carolprudm View Post
    The point I was trying to make was that the style shown in the hunter ring is not viable for an actual cross country riding, IOW hunting
    Okay...

    Why would people who ride show hunters ride the same way you would going cross country?
    "Are you yawning? You don't ride well enough to yawn. I can yawn, because I ride better than you. Meredith Michael Beerbaum can yawn. But you? Not so much..."
    -George Morris


    3 members found this post helpful.

  13. #53
    Join Date
    Aug. 30, 2011
    Location
    Massachusetts
    Posts
    1,317

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by enjoytheride View Post
    Most of the jumping at my local events is under 2' 6" so I guess us eventers also have the X rail thing nailed.

    I would not assume that someone with 24 posts is actually a real life eventer totally baffled at hunters. I don't think that trolls even ride horses.
    I would have thumbs upped this post a few more times if I could have.


    2 members found this post helpful.

  14. #54
    Join Date
    Feb. 23, 2005
    Location
    Spotsylvania, VA
    Posts
    12,718

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SaturdayNightLive View Post
    Okay...

    Why would people who ride show hunters ride the same way you would going cross country?
    Sorry, i thought that origionally there was supposed to be a correlation between show hunters and field hunters. Mea culpa
    I wasn't always a Smurf
    Penmerryl's Sophie RIDSH
    "I ain't as good as I once was but I'm as good once as I ever was"
    The ignore list is my friend. It takes 2 to argue.



  15. #55
    Join Date
    Feb. 23, 2007
    Location
    Initech, Storage B.
    Posts
    715

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by carolprudm View Post
    Sorry, i thought that origionally there was supposed to be a correlation between show hunters and field hunters. Mea culpa
    Yes, you're correct about the correlation, but the whole point of a showhunter was to come as close to the "ideal" field hunter as you possibly could. That's what established the judging criteria: a hunter that was so smooth, athletic and obedient that your grandmother could ride. Ergo, the rider is supposed to appear as if he or she is hardly doing a thing but staying with the horse.

    Perhaps the exaggerated style of today has more to do with rider ego--you know, competing with the horse's brilliance for the attention--rather than actually helping the horse show itself. Not at the top level where the riders actually do accomplish the above task, but at the lower levels where you see the "posers", as you say. Just a hypothesis.
    "I was walking through the woods, thinking about Christ. If He was a carpenter, I wondered what He charged for bookshelves."


    1 members found this post helpful.

  16. #56
    Join Date
    Feb. 6, 2000
    Location
    MA
    Posts
    12,548

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SaturdayNightLive View Post
    Okay...

    Why would people who ride show hunters ride the same way you would going cross country?
    Umm, because that's what *hunters* are supposed to *do*?
    "It's like a Russian nesting doll of train wrecks."--CaitlinandTheBay

    ...just settin' on the Group W bench.


    2 members found this post helpful.

  17. #57
    Join Date
    Sep. 20, 2005
    Location
    You must never go there, Simba.
    Posts
    3,449

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by carolprudm View Post
    Sorry, i thought that origionally there was supposed to be a correlation between show hunters and field hunters. Mea culpa
    Originally. But I don't think anybody is in denial about the fact that modern show hunters bear little resemblance to field hunters.

    Just because the discipline has evolved doesn't make it any less valid.
    "Are you yawning? You don't ride well enough to yawn. I can yawn, because I ride better than you. Meredith Michael Beerbaum can yawn. But you? Not so much..."
    -George Morris


    5 members found this post helpful.

  18. #58
    Join Date
    Sep. 20, 2005
    Location
    You must never go there, Simba.
    Posts
    3,449

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ghazzu View Post
    Umm, because that's what *hunters* are supposed to *do*?
    Ummm, not at any hunter show I've ever been to.
    "Are you yawning? You don't ride well enough to yawn. I can yawn, because I ride better than you. Meredith Michael Beerbaum can yawn. But you? Not so much..."
    -George Morris


    2 members found this post helpful.

  19. #59
    Join Date
    Feb. 23, 2005
    Location
    Spotsylvania, VA
    Posts
    12,718

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MMorgan View Post
    Yes, you're correct about the correlation, but the whole point of a showhunter was to come as close to the "ideal" field hunter as you possibly could. That's what established the judging criteria: a hunter that was so smooth, athletic and obedient that your grandmother could ride. Ergo, the rider is supposed to appear as if he or she is hardly doing a thing but staying with the horse.

    Perhaps the exaggerated style of today has more to do with rider ego--you know, competing with the horse's brilliance for the attention--rather than actually helping the horse show itself. Not at the top level where the riders actually do accomplish the above task, but at the lower levels where you see the "posers", as you say. Just a hypothesis.
    I have 4 grandchildren and you couldn't pay me to ride XC like that
    I wasn't always a Smurf
    Penmerryl's Sophie RIDSH
    "I ain't as good as I once was but I'm as good once as I ever was"
    The ignore list is my friend. It takes 2 to argue.


    1 members found this post helpful.

  20. #60
    Join Date
    Feb. 6, 2000
    Location
    MA
    Posts
    12,548

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SaturdayNightLive View Post

    Just because the discipline has evolved doesn't make it any less valid.
    I certainly wouldn't term the change "evolution".
    "It's like a Russian nesting doll of train wrecks."--CaitlinandTheBay

    ...just settin' on the Group W bench.


    4 members found this post helpful.

Similar Threads

  1. who had the duck toller dog?
    By tallyho392 in forum The Menagerie
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: Dec. 12, 2011, 05:51 PM
  2. I love our duck
    By okggo in forum Around The Farm
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: Mar. 4, 2011, 06:53 AM
  3. Duck killer?
    By blueboo in forum Around The Farm
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: Jun. 30, 2010, 10:43 PM
  4. deleted
    By Fairview Horse Center in forum Off Course
    Replies: 27
    Last Post: Sep. 15, 2009, 12:51 AM
  5. Duck, duck, goose be gone!!
    By mothermucker12 in forum Around The Farm
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: Jan. 2, 2009, 02:23 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
randomness