The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Slippery seat on saddle

I bought a moderately used Duett Allegro off Ebay a while back. I like the saddle, and it fits my mare, but the seat is unbelievably slippery! Like someone sprayed show sheen on it. Or Pledge. Or maybe that is just the leather? No friction at all between my full seats and the seat and that is just not right.

Any ideas or advice on how to add some friction to the seat? It is ridiculous!
    Freeing worms from cans everywhere!

1 members found this post helpful.

I've always been told that dirty tack is slippery. That may be the propaganda that parents tell their kids to encourage them to clean the tack -- I don't know. I think poorly conditioned tack tends to be stiff and slick, though.

Anyway, so clean the saddle with a good saddle soap, then rub glycerine saddle soap into the leather. Take a barely moist sponge, rub it well on the glycerine bar till you have a sort of paste on the sponge. Rub this on the slick parts of the saddle. If you can leave a thumbprint in the glycerine coating, that is enough. See if that helps.

If not, try some GuterSitz or Saddl-tite type stickum on the seat. Bienenwasch (a beeswax-based leather conditioner) is very good if the tack is dry. Not sure I spelled that right...

Stubben Hamanol might help too if that fails.

Quote Originally Posted by CHT View Post
    I bought a moderately used Duett Allegro off Ebay a while back. I like the saddle, and it fits my mare, but the seat is unbelievably slippery! Like someone sprayed show sheen on it. Or Pledge. Or maybe that is just the leather? No friction at all between my full seats and the seat and that is just not right.

Any ideas or advice on how to add some friction to the seat? It is ridiculous!
    I have a Duett Companion Trail saddle, and I agree the seat is very slippery. I use a sheepskin pad and that has solved the problem. Cleaning the saddle doesn't make any difference, it must be the type of leather they use.

I have an "extra" Stubben saddle that is slippery no matter how clean it is.

I found the Sporty Sit Tite Spray to be quite helpful!

http://reviews.smartpakequine.com/74...ws/reviews.htm
    Proud owner of a Slaughter-Bound TB from a feedlot, and her surprise baby...!
    http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e350/Jen4USC/fave.jpg
    http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e3...SC/running.jpg

The saddle is CLEAN. Shiny like someone Pledged it clean an buffed it shiny.

Wonder if I could strip what ever they finished the leather with?
    Freeing worms from cans everywhere!

Quote Originally Posted by RubyTuesday View Post
    Stubben Hamanol might help too if that fails.
    I've done this too on tack that is not as grippy....be prepared though for your butt to get that lovely "dark oil" patch!! LOL
    Go Ahead: This is a dare, not permission. Don't Do It!

I have a Duett. Use the glycerin. Workup a good lather and let it dry for a couple of hours then polish with a cloth. It will look marvelous and be grippy.
    Dawn

Patience and Consistency are Your Friends

I can tell you what not to do, and that is use Saddletite directly on the seat. I did that on a saddle I had with a very slick seat, and it would never come off, marring the leather.
    Mystic Owl Sporthorses
    www.mysticowlsporthorses.com

Wow, really? I used to use that stuff all the time when I rode my bouncy Arab. Never had a problem marring the saddle.

Quote Originally Posted by rizzodm View Post
    I have a Duett. Use the glycerin. Workup a good lather and let it dry for a couple of hours then polish with a cloth. It will look marvelous and be grippy.
    Going to try this! I put some Effax liquid tack cleaner on it on Saturday, and then used the saddle today and it seemed moderately better. Glycerine sounds like it might just be that little bit more helpful. Thanks!

I am leary of saddletite on the seat. A student tried it at the advice of a tack store, at it left grey marks on her breeches.

I have used saddletite on the seat of my slippery saddle. I never had a problem with it. The only thing it did was make my jods sticky until I washed them.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/NBChoice http://nbchoice.blogspot.com/
    The New Banner's Choice- 1994 ASB Mare
    Dennis The Menace Too- 1999 ASB Gelding
    Dreamacres Sublime- 2008 ASB Gelding